We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Seeking BEST Fettucine Alfredo pasta restaurant,Rome please

Greenwood, South...
Level Contributor
217 posts
359 reviews
Save Topic
Seeking BEST Fettucine Alfredo pasta restaurant,Rome please

Please inform us of the best restaurants and eateries in Rome, Italy for ALL classic Roman cuisine, including Carbanora and Fettucine Alfredo. We appreciate your advice for our upcoming May 2014 trip!

Likely To Sell Out
Vatican Museums Skip the Line Tour...
23,428 Reviews
from US$83.10*
Likely To Sell Out
Sistine Chapel VIP Private Viewing...
537 Reviews
from US$415.60*
Likely To Sell Out
Rome Colosseum Underground Chambers...
2,918 Reviews
from US$124.70*
Special Offer
Ancient Rome and Colosseum Skip the...
11,809 Reviews
from US$61.20*
US$68.00
Passo Corese, Italy
Level Contributor
1,509 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Seeking BEST Fettucine Alfredo pasta restaurant,Rome please

Fettuccine Alfredo have indeed a Roman origin (being invented in a restaurant in 1914), but they're totally unknown to Italians. I believe that the only restaurant serving them is "Il Vero Alfredo": http://www.alfredo-roma.it/... the one in which the dish was created. It's located on piazza Augusto Imperatore, near the Ara Pacis and the Mausoleum of Augustus.

Edited: 26 September 2013, 11:02
Mentioned in this post
Ara Pacis
Ara Pacis
66 Reviews
Rome, Italy
Italy
Level Contributor
6,187 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Seeking BEST Fettucine Alfredo pasta restaurant,Rome please

Fettuccine Alfredo aren't known in Italy as Qurite explained.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
92,704 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Seeking BEST Fettucine Alfredo pasta restaurant,Rome please

You also need to remember that dishes with the same name may be prepared in totally different ways in America and Italy. The pasta bolognese served in Italy bears almost no resemblance to spaghelli bolognese served in America (and Australia).

Turin
Level Contributor
8,366 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Seeking BEST Fettucine Alfredo pasta restaurant,Rome please

I think that the most similar dish to Fettuccine Alfredo is the infamous "pasta al burro" or "in bianco". Italian Mammas used to cook it when somebody had stomach cramps.

I'd pay to see the face of a waiter if you whisper you want something special that's not in the menu... and then you ask for a "pasta al burro". I'm afraid he'd reply: "Yes sir, of course. And would you like some Imodium as a dessert? ".

How it all begun: culturediscovery.com/tuscany-umbria-cooking-…

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
37,075 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Seeking BEST Fettucine Alfredo pasta restaurant,Rome please

I would suggest going to Rome without any preconceived notions of types of food. You won't find many similarities in the dishes you'll get in Rome and the dishes you get at home. Even pizza is different and has a different taste. As for what's best....that's all a matter of personal taste.

Donna

Italy
Level Contributor
6,187 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Seeking BEST Fettucine Alfredo pasta restaurant,Rome please

This is an interesting reading about foreigners errors about Italian food:

independent.co.uk/life-style/food-and-drink/…

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
92,704 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Seeking BEST Fettucine Alfredo pasta restaurant,Rome please

Back here in Australia, my wife prepares "pasta bolognese" the way it is served in Australia: a sauce based on tomatoes and beef, with as much sauce as pasta. In Italy, I eat Italian "pasta bolognese", with a ragu based on pork and in just enough quantity to coat the pasta.

They are very different dishes, and I love both of them.

roma
3 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Seeking BEST Fettucine Alfredo pasta restaurant,Rome please

HISTORY OF ALFREDO DI LELIO CREATOR IN 1908 OF “FETTUCCINE ALL’ALFREDO”, NOW SERVED BY HIS NEPHEW INES DI LELIO, AT THE RESTAURANT “IL VERO ALFREDO” IN ROME, PIAZZA AUGUSTO IMPERATORE 30

With reference of your article I have the pleasure to tell you the history of my grandfather Alfredo Di Lelio, who is the creator of “fettuccine all’Alfredo” in 1908 in restaurant run by his mother Angelina in Rome, Piazza Rosa (Piazza disappeared in 1910 following the construction of the Galleria Colonna / Sordi).

Alfredo di Lelio opened the restaurant “Alfredo” in 1914 in Rome, after leaving the restaurant of his mother Angelina.

In 1943, during the war, Di Lelio sold the restaurant to others outside his family.

In 1950 Alfredo Di Lelio decided to reopen with his son Armando his restaurant in Piazza Augusto Imperatore n.30 "Il Vero Alfredo" (“Alfredo di Roma”), whose fame in the world has been strengthened by his nephew Alfredo and that now managed by his nephew Ines, with the famous “gold cutlery” (fork and spoon gold) donated in 1927 by two well-known American actors Mary Pickford and Douglas Fairbanks (in gratitude for the hospitality).

See also the site of “Il Vero Alfredo” http://www.ilveroalfredo.it, which also contains information on franchising.

I must clarify that other restaurants "Alfredo" in Rome do not belong to the family tradition of "Il Vero Alfredo" in Rome.

I inform you that the restaurant “Il Vero Alfredo” is in the registry of “Historic Shops of Excellence” of the City of Rome Capitale.

Best regards Ines Di Lelio

Mentioned in this post
Piazza Augusto Imperatore
Piazza Augusto Imperatore
15 Reviews
Rome, Italy
Roma
Roma
Rome, Italy
9. Re: Seeking BEST Fettucine Alfredo pasta restaurant,Rome please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 26 September 2013, 13:35
Passo Corese, Italy
Level Contributor
1,509 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Seeking BEST Fettucine Alfredo pasta restaurant,Rome please

@ O.P.: I forgot to mention that Fettuccine Alfredo are not part of the Roman/Italian cuisine, classic or not!

Edited: 26 September 2013, 14:20