We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to pick up a rental car near St.Peter's Square?

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Westchester County...
Level Contributor
86 posts
84 reviews
Save Topic
Where to pick up a rental car near St.Peter's Square?

Hello

We (family of 4) will be in Rome the first week of July 2014. We are staying near St. Peter's square. The following week, we rented a villa in Tuscany and plan to rent a car from Rome and drive to our villa.

We are staying near St. Peter's Square. What's the best location to pick up a rental car? I know about the restricted zones so I want to pick up in a place where I can avoid the the ZTL's as much as possible. Older threads said to pick up a car at Villa Borghese but that location seems to be closed. When looking at Autoeurope, "St..PeterROffice Via Gregorio Vii" looks like it could be a viable option Is anyone familiar with this location? Should I pick the car up from here or should I pick it up near the train station?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
83,068 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to pick up a rental car near St.Peter's Square?

If you pick up from Via Gregorio VII, you can drive straight out along the Via Aurelia to the GRA (Rome's motorway ring road), and then follow the GRA to the turnoff for Tuscany.

Goulburn, Australia
Level Contributor
116 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to pick up a rental car near St.Peter's Square?

If you want to avoid driving in Rome at all you can pick up your car from Orvieto which is about an hour out of Rome by train, very convenient. This also means you can spend the day in Orvieto which is a beautiful and charming hill town - a great way to start your Tuscany tour!

Westchester County...
Level Contributor
86 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to pick up a rental car near St.Peter's Square?

Thank you! I tried looking for an option on autoeurope that would pick up at Orvieto and return at the Florence airport but there were no options (automatic only). I may need to pick up in Central Rome but as close to the highway as possible. Is the ZTL in effect on Saturdays?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
83,068 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to pick up a rental car near St.Peter's Square?

The ZTL is operational on Saturdays. If you go the route I suggested in reply #1, you will not go anywhere near any ZTL.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
3,161 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to pick up a rental car near St.Peter's Square?

The Termini location might work for you. It has extended hours, a large inventory of cars and it is somewhat easy to exit Rome for the A1 Highway north to Tuscany. Just make sure that whatever location you choose, bring all of your party and luggage with you so you can exit Rome at once. You are smart to drop off the car at the Florence airport.

Westchester County...
Level Contributor
86 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to pick up a rental car near St.Peter's Square?

Thanks you all! It looks like the St. Peter's stop is much cheaper (almost $100) than the train station so will probably go that route. We will keep the train station as Option 2 just in case. and, Orvieto is on our list of towns to see so hopefully we will see that too.

Appreciate the help!!!

7. Re: Where to pick up a rental car near St.Peter's Square?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 October 2014, 06:19