We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hop On/Hop Off Bus

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
100 posts
Save Topic
Hop On/Hop Off Bus

Hi Everyone,

If I'm planning on spending about 3-4 days in Rome (possible day trip in the middle), what is the best method of transportation getting around the city? Are there Hop On/Hop Off buses that you can purchase a daily pass for? Are there any public buses/subways or cabs that would make more sense than a hop on hop off bus?

Would appreciate any insight and recommendations as I'm unsure of the best way to get around the city. I'm planning on visiting the major sites (Colosseum, Vatican, etc.) and might take some excursions over to areas such as the Jewish quarter.

Thanks again for any help!

NY
Level Contributor
3,571 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hop On/Hop Off Bus

Put "hop on hop off" in the Rome search and you will get a lot of reviews

Lines of the metro get you close to the col. and Vatican, you can study it.

Lots of places are best walked to. Taxi's are fairly reasonable if you get tired out - make sure it is official taxi say from a taxi rank and the meter is on.

Others can advise re the buses.

Rome, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
5,245 posts
619 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hop On/Hop Off Bus

Here's a recent thread on this topic, including my thoughts on the HOHO bus ;-- tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187791-i22-k68816…

Personally, I don't think 3-4 days is a lot to see Rome. My suggestion is stay within the historic center (Pantheon, Spanish Steps, Monti, Piazza Navona, etc.) so you can walk to as many sights as possible as well as spend your evenings strolling and taking it all in. You will find yourself walking to many of the attractions. Look at using metro and the mini electric bus system -- and the occasional taxi -- for farther out sights, or when your feet have just had enough.

Level Contributor
100 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Hop On/Hop Off Bus

I'm going to be staying at the St. Regis. Is that in a centralized location around the areas you're talking about?

Rome, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
5,245 posts
619 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hop On/Hop Off Bus

Assuming it is the St. Regis at Via Vittorio Emanuele Orlando, 3, you'll be in the historic center (not the quaintest part of the historic center but fine and convenient), within walking distance of many of the sights and with access to Repubblica metro stop -- here's the ATAC (public transportation) map. -- http://www.atac.roma.it/files/doc.asp?r=4 For example, you can take metro (the big red "M" lines) to the Vatican Museums, or St. Paul Beyond the Walls. And here's the handy electric mini bus route, which goes through Repubblica -- http://www.atac.roma.it/files/doc.asp?r=9 -- which goes to a lot of sights. But my guess is like most people, you'll be doing most of your sightseeing the old fashioned way -- Rome was made for walking!

uk
Level Contributor
117 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hop On/Hop Off Bus

We used the Roma Cristiana bus and wouldn't recommend it. We had to wait for ages and when a bus turned up there was another one behind it. While we waited we saw 110 buses and Green line tours which both seemed much more frequent.

6. Re: Hop On/Hop Off Bus

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 October 2014, 06:21