We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Toronto to Rome on Alitalia

Toronto
Level Contributor
3,176 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Toronto to Rome on Alitalia

We are flying from Toronto to Rome next Wednesday on Alitalia and then on-wards on another carrier. I have been reading a lot of negative comments about Alitalia on airline forum but most of these are a couple of years old. Has things have changed? I know now it is too late to change my plans but at least I will know what to expect. Do they give out blankets and other comfort items on long-distance over-Atlantic flights? what about the food? any feed back would be appreciated.

22 replies to this topic
Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
33,267 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Toronto to Rome on Alitalia

http://www.airlinequality.com/Forum/alit.htm

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
41,755 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Toronto to Rome on Alitalia

It's fine - I fly them all the time, usually a few times a year NYC to Italy. Food is airplane food - like any other - I usually take my own so at least I know I will enjoy what I am having. There is wine offered and then usually they put beverages on a tray in the back near the galley where you can then help yourself. I have been given blankets and pillows but don't use them but they are there. I tend to get up a lot and move around during the flight so I help myself to a lot of water and then hover as long as I can standing but then return to my seat when I feel I might get in the way.

It will depend somewhat on the type of aircraft you get - some are newer with more bells and whistles and better individual entertainment features.

Honestly, I find that unless one is flying first or business class, all economy class experiences are just a hair away from any other airline for the most part.

NY
Level Contributor
3,655 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Toronto to Rome on Alitalia

If you want a preview of these flights, probably an Airbus 330, look here for 3 videos

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JclpkRqpAHQ

Sounds like quite a bit of passenger noise in the backgrounds

Your experience will of course depend on seats (minimal in steerage), passenger load (usually full) and whether you can easily get up and walk around, get hydrated, and passenger noise, also sometimes weather. Food is usually a non satisfier. If you can, carry your own bottle of water on board and maybe a snack or two so you can have when you want.

If the flight lands reasonably on time and safely, it is a successful trip.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,496 posts
226 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Toronto to Rome on Alitalia

It's not my favourite airline and I may just have been unlucky but after cancelled flights and late departures on numerous occasions I try to avoid them, the best thing you can do is read the reviews on the link qaminari gave you.

Waltham...
Level Contributor
293 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Toronto to Rome on Alitalia

I use Alitalia a lot with no problems.the food is lousy in economy on all airlines.they give out blankets and pillows.this august I got a good price boston to rome magnifica class.the difference is night and day.good food good wine good service.they even smile

3 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Toronto to Rome on Alitalia

You are one lucky customer, Joseph.

I've flown Alitalia once...and that was one time too many. Even if the Alitalia flight is less expensive I WILL NOT.

I was traveling with my 12 year old daughter on this trip. We were assigned seats at booking, but this one male attendant saw fit to gave our seats to some other man who later I found, while on board, exchanged phone #s so they could meat in LA in a month. He even took him in the cockpit which was total illegal. So this attendant set me in the very back broken seat of the airplane and my 12 year old daughter 5 rows ahead of me. I complained, but was to no avail (actually he gave me that broken seat after I complained). My daughter, when she was younger, used to gets sick on a plane....hrs into the flight she started vomiting...turning back looking at me with her eyes asking for help which I couldn't give her because she was in the middle seat. This idiot attendant (there are no other words to describe him) started to insult her and me. "O the little girl needs her mommy. o poor little girl...you want to go to your mommy....well you cant". and things of this sort. I was livid. Then proceeded to insult me. My daughter, though young, didn't want me to raise hell (cause I would have. She new me and what I was capable of saying/doing).

Since that time I have NEVER FLOWN ALITALIA NOR WILL I EVER AGAIN. To this day I still remember the name of that attendant.

London, Canada
Level Contributor
2,356 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Toronto to Rome on Alitalia

Too bad you didn't go for AirTransat through Marlin Travel. Good service and AirMiles too.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
178 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Toronto to Rome on Alitalia

@travels1940: was that a charter?

I flew on Air Canada and was very disappointed.

London, Canada
Level Contributor
2,356 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Toronto to Rome on Alitalia

AirTransat is a 'charter' airline, but, it is part of Transat AT which is a huge company operating here, the caribbean and in Europe. Its head office is now in Montreal after relocating here from Nice, France a number of years ago. Once upon a time, it was a bit dodgy to use, but they now fly updated airbuses, and offer many packages of hotels and flights. I have flown AirCanada myself, and have to agree, that their service is somewhat crummy. Due I think to the fact that their air crews are unionized and cannot be fired.

3 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Toronto to Rome on Alitalia

I have flown many times with Air Transat...and I'm about to do it again. When I can't fly Air Transat I fly Air Canada...another very good company.

I've flown Air Canada a number of times, Lufthansa also, Delta, Northwest, Porter, EL-AL and many other companies. The ones I would fly again and again with:

Air Transat, Air Canada, Porter, and EL-AL

Reply to: Toronto to Rome on Alitalia
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted