We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary - seven nights - would love your advice/feedback

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Australia
Destination Expert
for Pompeii, Herculaneum, Naples
Level Contributor
8,398 posts
155 reviews
Save Topic
Itinerary - seven nights - would love your advice/feedback

Hey Rome lovers, regulars and experts - this is trip number six but it would take a lifetime to see this incredible city. I'm travelling with my 13 year old so some well-worn paths are included as this is his first trip to Italy (first of many I hope). I am in hot pursuit of Caravaggio, so art is high on my list but so is lots of down time.

I'd love you all to run an expert eye over this and see if I have any glaring omissions or could fill in the down time with something I haven't thought of. Thank you!

Day 1 –

We’ve come in the night before from Sydney and are taking the train to Venice at 2.50pm so just plan to walk around from our hotel near Trevi Fountain down to Piazza Navona, possibly across Ponte Sant Angelo, and then stop for lunch somewhere. Return to hotel and take taxi to Termini.

Day 2 – 17 days later

Arrive from Naples at 2.10pm, taxi to hotel (est. 10-15 euros)

Check in to Hotel Portoghesi, near Pantheon

Late lunch/pannini somewhere nearby – bearing in mind the time – things will be closed so we can’t be choosy

Visit Scuderie del Quirinale – see exhibition on Augustus

Dinner – Santa Lucia near Piazza Navona – table on terrace (make reservation)

Day 2 2

Walks of Italy Pristine Sistine Tour – 7.35am

St. Peter’s Basilica, climb dome (again – am I nuts?)

Lunch at Duecentogradi – Piazza Risorgimento

Afternoon free

Mass at Pantheon 5pm

Castel Sant Angelo – sunset

Dinner – Il Desiderio Preso per la Coda

Day 3 –

Borghese Gallery – 9.00am-11.00am, lunch in Gallery Café, afterward hang out in park - ride bikes in the park – relax, walk back to hotel via Piazza del Popolo and visit Santa Maria Del Popolo (PLAN A)

(PLAN B) – if the weather is ‘iffy’ – taxi to the National Museum and Baths of Diocletian

Dinner: Navona Notte

Day 4 –

Morning - Colosseum Underground – 9.40am. ,

Lunch – anywhere nearby except that Bar Amore! Was thinking of Cavour 313.

Afternoon: Forum/Palatine, Trajan’s Markets & Imperial Forum

Dinner: no plans – room has a terrace so might buy supplies and just stay in especially after all the legwork around Forum/Palatine.

Day 5 –

Walking. Popmpey’s Theatre, Jewish Ghetto, Tiber Island, Trastevere for lunch

Afternoon free – go to Café Della Pace (3/7 via della pace) and people watch over a few vinos

Dinner – no plans

Day 6 –

Coffee at Tazzo D’Oro – then hit the Caravaggio trail

Galleria Doria Pamphilj (via del Corso 305 open 9am-7pm) – Caravaggio – Rest on the Flight to Egypt, the Penitent Magdalene

San Luigi dei Francesi (Via Santa Giovanna d'Arco 5, closed between 12.30 and 3pm) – Caravaggio – Inspiration of St. Matthew, Martyrdom of St. Matthew and Calling of St. Matthew

Sant Agostino (Piazza di Sant Agostino, two blocks from Piazza Navona) – Caravaggio’s Madonna of the Pilgrims.

Have I missed any????

Day 7 – 31/10 – home to Australia - and judging by all that eating and drinking above – I’ll need to buy me some bigger pants.

Thanks for your help and advice.

Kathy

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
10,254 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary - seven nights - would love your advice/feedback

Hi Kathy ... seems OK to me ... busy busy busy! As you have your son with you (and because I want to see it next time ) I would try to fit in the ... tripadvisor.com.au/ShowUserReviews-g187791-d… ... it has an enormous model of what ancient rome looked like. And I would also try and squeeze in the Capuchin Crypt which is close to Villa Borghese.

Ormskirk, United...
Level Contributor
370 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary - seven nights - would love your advice/feedback

Hi

You don't say what time of year you are travelling, but you could consider visiting the ruins at Ostia Antica (closed Mondays) then continuing to the beach (Ostia Lido) for some relaxation. There is also the Appia Antica area with its catacombs (check opening times as each of the catacombs varies).

There are great views over Rome if you go up Colle Gianicolo (walk or bus115 - I prefer walking if I'm not short of time). Also, don't forget gelato-stops! You could also get the elevator to the top of Il Vittoriano in Piazza Venezia for further views of Rome.

Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,398 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary - seven nights - would love your advice/feedback

Able I love that suggestion - thanks so much - going to look into it - and the view from Janiculm which in could do when in Trastevere - thanks Aurelia.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,219 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary - seven nights - would love your advice/feedback

Don't miss the 2 Caravaggios in SM del Popolo. Amazing, awe inspiring interior here in what looks like such an unassuming church. St Paul on the road to Damascus and crucifixon of St Peter from memory.

The angels on Ponte sant Angelo are all holding symbols of the passion and crucifixion and have the most amazing faces.

http://tinyurl.com/pe38oqk

Italy
Level Contributor
6,041 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Itinerary - seven nights - would love your advice/feedback

Lynn that's exactly what I was about to write: there's one Caravaggio church missing on your list.

Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,398 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Itinerary - seven nights - would love your advice/feedback

Lynn and Tabata - it's in day 3 - that one was first on the list ! :)

Italy
Level Contributor
6,041 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Itinerary - seven nights - would love your advice/feedback

I was looking at your Caravaggio day...... :-))))))

A little morbid thing you can do with your son in churches: ask him to find out memento mori, there are several outside churches too.

Edited: 02 October 2013, 09:52
Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,398 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Itinerary - seven nights - would love your advice/feedback

Tabata - amazing idea !! Wow ! Love it!!! Thank you !

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,219 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Itinerary - seven nights - would love your advice/feedback

Love the one in SM del Popolo

http://tinyurl.com/o3atrm5

Kathy, I saw you were going there but the way you said you might not go if it rained made me think you might not know.

I saw some Caravaggios in the Accademia in Venice but it may have been a special exhibit. Check it out.

Italy
Level Contributor
6,041 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Itinerary - seven nights - would love your advice/feedback

He can also take pictures!