We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Roma Pass - summary as of September 2013

Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
1 post
47 reviews
Save Topic
Roma Pass - summary as of September 2013

I decided to write a quick summary regarding the Roma Pass features and I hope travellers would benefit from my outline:

1. Only buy the Roma Pass from Tourist Information Offices, NOT from tobacconists and other secondary resellers.

2. Explain to the Tourist Office advisors what are you intending to do, where are you staying and they will give you a very sensible advise if the pass is good value for money" in your situation.

3. The pass is valid 3 calendar days, not 72 hours - as a tobacconist deliberately misled me when I bought mine. That means you are better off purchasing and starting to use early in the morning as it will expire at midnight of the third calendar day.

4. Pass is generally not worth it if you travel with kids or young teenagers:

a. Most attractions are free for people under 18 years of age (including most historical sites such as the Colloseum and Forum Romanum and all)

b. After using the first two free entries ( and that would be generally a value of 12-20 Euro depending which sites you do first), you essentially loose the advantage of the skip the queue as you have to queue and buy tickets before proceeding to the entry. In most places entry queue and ticket queue are combined so you don't skip much of the line.

5. Metro travel is 1.5Euro in each direction - so make a good calculation what are you going to save with a Roma Pass. Likely you will do 6 trips in 3 days - total of 9 Euro from a 34 Euro value.

Overall, Roma Pass is only worth it for adults and in case you are planning very active sightseeing concise in 3 days.

Hope it helps.

Stefano's RomeCabs
Historical & Heritage Tours, Taxis & Shuttles, Private Tours, Day Trips, Sightseeing Tours
Private Tours of Rome - Vatican, Sistine Chapel and Colosseum Tours
Cultural Tours, Walking Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Archaeology Tours
TopBike Rental & Tours
Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Equipment Hire, City Tours, Bike Tours
LivItaly Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Food Tours, Private Tours, Cultural Tours, Walking Tours
Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
19 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Roma Pass - summary as of September 2013

Thanks for that!! I've been wondering about a few things we are planning to do and if it is worth it...

I would want to use it for:

Ostica Antica

Trajans Forum

Borghese Gallery? Capitoline Museum?

and maybe a few museums/galleries that are undecided...

I am in Rome for 6 days (1 day for Pompeii).

I was also wondering if the discounts only apply to the three days it is used for or when purchasing tickets? La Traviata at the Teatro Salone Margherita is available for discount but is not playing the days I would use the Pass?

Would the Pass be worth the discounts for two adults?

Level Contributor
20 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Roma Pass - summary as of September 2013

Definitely! it is totally worth it.. I went to Rome in September 2013 and i bought the ROMA PASS on the very first day. It saved us long queque at the Colloseum and Romun Forum and Palatine Hill.

Also, unlimited public transport for 3 days. Tram, bus, metro :-)

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,725 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Roma Pass - summary as of September 2013

If you went to *all* of those museums, you'd save 2 euros just on the entrances, in addition to whatever you'd have spent on public transportation. If you don't go to all the museums, then it would depend on how much you used public transportation.

It would pay to go first to the Colosseum and either Trajan's Market or the Capitoline Museums, which are both in the same area, second. (It doesn't matter which is second and which is third, because both have the same full price and the same reduced price). Then you could go to Ostia Antica and/or the Borghese Gallery for your reduced entrances. The Roma Pass can also be used for the train to Ostia Antica.

Remembering that the Colosseum entrance also includes entrance to the Roman Forum and Palatine Hill, and that they all count as a single entrance for the Roma Pass, it would be an awful lot of stuff crammed into three days.

As far as I know, ALL of the benefits of the Roma Pass expire at midnight on the third day. I'm not 100% sure about discounts on theatre tickets, because they may just be a bonus thrown in with the pass.

Our community is here to help!Ask questions, get advice and more from travellers like you.
Join TripAdvisor
Level Contributor
1,503 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Roma Pass - summary as of September 2013

I bought the Roma pass and it was well worth it. I was in Rome exactly three days - helped with the hassle of not paying 1.50 for bus tickets and got us jumping the line at the Coliseum. I bought mine at Roma Termini station.

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,725 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Roma Pass - summary as of September 2013

You can jump the line at the Colosseum much more cheaply if you buy a ticket online at the official site:

This would cost you only 14 euros, whereas the Roma Pass costs 34 euros. You couldn't make up the difference buying bus tickets at €1.50 each.

The Roma Pass usually doesn't pay off unless you use it for at least three entries (two free and one reduced), plus about two trips a day on public transportation.

6. Re: Roma Pass - summary as of September 2013

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 October 2014, 06:19