We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from Rome Airport to Naples Airport - some tips pls

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Singapore
Level Contributor
59 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Driving from Rome Airport to Naples Airport - some tips pls

Need a bit of help:

We are 2 adults travelling to Amalfi end Oct. We are priced out of the air tickets for the day we intend to travel. Instead of taking the train from Rome Airport > Rome Central train station > Naples train station, we decided to rent a car from Rome (F) Airport and drive to Naples Airport. From Naples Airport, we will arrange for a car pick up service to Amalfi as I decided we will just take the ferry, buses etc within Amalfi area. (Can't drive to Sorrento as car rental branch is closed that day. )

A few questions:

- what's the best route from Rome to Naples? I think we will skip the coastal road since we will be going to the Amalfi coast.

- anything we need to look out for en route (safety, FYIs) or is it a relatively easy drive?

- can anyone recommend a pitstop or 2 (any must sees) along the route from Rome to Naples? I can't imagine we will be driving for 2.5hours straight.

- are the road signs all in Italian? I may have to invest in a GPS if that's the case, or rent a wifi router from the car company.

As always, many thanks for your help.

Kai

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
82,301 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving from Rome Airport to Naples Airport - some tips pls

The "best" route is a matter of opinion. The fastest way is to stay on the autostrada (toll motorway), but that road is very busy and boring. You can get driving directions, fairly realistic times, and estimated costs (fuel and tolls) from www.viamichelin.com

There are service areas at intervals along the autostrada that provide surprisingly good food.

Direction signs show the names of the towns along the road, and these need no translation. Signs giving warnings and instructions use pictograms and also need no translation.

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,409 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving from Rome Airport to Naples Airport - some tips pls

It would probably be quicker (and cheaper) to take the train and arrange your pickup at the Napoli Centrale train station. The fast train from central Rome takes only an hour and ten minutes. You would have to take a train into central Rome from the airport, but that would add only about 45 minutes, so it would still be less than two hours. There are often very long waits for rental cars at Fiumicino airport, so the car could take well over three hours.

We were once stuck in an awful traffic jam between Rome and Naples. We actually were stopped for over 20 minutes inside a tunnel, which I didn't care for at all. We had our windows closed, but the air in the car was not very pleasant.

Ormskirk, United...
Level Contributor
370 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving from Rome Airport to Naples Airport - some tips pls

I would go with blvenci's recommendation of getting the train.

However, if you do decide to drive you could consider visiting the abbey of Monte Cassino en route, which is of great historical importance (especially for the WW2 bombing by allied forces): see http://montecassinoabbey.org/?page_id=114 and also 'google' it for further information. It is approximately 130km south of Rome, is not far from the autostrada and is only a couple of kilometres from the town of Cassino (a possible lunch-stop – although I also agree with sydneynick’s comments that service areas on the autostrada serve good food. They are also great for a coffee-stop).

One word of warning: if driving, don't leave items in you car that can be seen - I have heard of break-ins, especially at service stations where the thieves guess lots of tourists will be stopping.

Whichever mode of transport you choose, have a great time!

Singapore
Level Contributor
59 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving from Rome Airport to Naples Airport - some tips pls

Reviving this thread for a bit - if we choose to take the train, what should i expect at the Naples train station? e.g. Is it huge and sprawling? Assume it's generally safe as long as i exercise common travelling sense e.g. ignore strangers, watch out for belongings and then look for my airport pick up?

Many thanks

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
82,301 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving from Rome Airport to Naples Airport - some tips pls

Naples train station is large, and you need to keep track of your belongings. What do you mean by "look for my airport pickup"?

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,409 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving from Rome Airport to Naples Airport - some tips pls

The hypothetical airport pickup I suggested in number 2 above.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
38,687 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Driving from Rome Airport to Naples Airport - some tips pls

The car service I use in the area always meets me at the end of the track at which I arrive with a small sign with my name on it; some don't meet their customers at the specific track. Ask the car service company if they will do so if you don't want to try to locate them in a different meeting place.

It is a big station but I don't find it difficult to navigate at all - it is very manageable, for me anyway.

Singapore
Level Contributor
59 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Driving from Rome Airport to Naples Airport - some tips pls

hi, just to close off this thread

- we got a car service to pick us up from Rome and drove us down to Amalfi (with 2 hour pitstop at Pompeii), it was a bit pricey but just marginally more compared to taking a plane from Rome to Naples and then figuring our way out. So I guess we paid for the convenience

- there was really nothing much along the way from Rome to Pompeii but Autogrill was a welcomed and much love respite from the road :)

Thanks again for all the suggestions and tips

9. Re: Driving from Rome Airport to Naples Airport - some tips pls

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 November 2014, 05:16