We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

hooneymoon in Italy

Riga, Latvia
Level Contributor
6 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
hooneymoon in Italy

Hi,

we are planning to spend our hooneymoon in Italy and can not decide when exactly to go - last week of may/first week of june or first 2 weeks of june? What is the weather like in this time?We would prefer when its warm but not too hot.It should be warm enough for swimming.And what route you would recommend for 2 weeks?

Tahnk you so much in advance!!!

Milano
Level Contributor
4,230 posts
398 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: hooneymoon in Italy

June is warmer then May but the choosen periods are quiet similar, weather is generally ok and swimming possible.

In two weeks you may do a classical tour Venice-Florence-Rome plus few days on the beach (Amalfi coast for example) or do a tour of Sicily where you may spend time on the beach and visit a lot of temple, buoldings, museums, baroque towns.

Another alternative could be spend some days in Rome and Florence then fly to Sardinia that has the best sea and beaches of Italy.

Riga, Latvia
Level Contributor
6 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: hooneymoon in Italy

Thank you so much for your advice!

What I was thinking - it might sound impossible for you and a bit crazy :) but I would like to start in Venice-Florence-Rome-and then take a train to Sicily.I know its too much and too far but I definetly want to see Venice and Sicily althought its 2 farest points of Italy.I thought Sicily has the most beautiful beaches in Italy.If you are saying Sardinia then maybe we should go to Sardinia instead of Sicily?Because I definetely want to spend few days in beach.We have booked our holidays 2 first weeks of june-is it guaranted that weather will be hot enought for beach and swimming?What would be your recommendations?

Thank you so much in advance!

Ormskirk, United...
Level Contributor
370 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: hooneymoon in Italy

Hi Zaziss, first of all congratulations on your forthcoming wedding & honeymoon!

Venice/Florence/Roma/Sicily sounds possible in 2 weeks - although I guess you will like them all so much that you will return, because you will never be able to spend enough time in each place to visit only once! I would keep Sardinia for the next holiday.

My suggestion would be to fly to Milano, Verona or Venice (different countries & airlines fly to different airports) then stay at Lake Garda (Desenzano) on the main Milan-Venice railway line. Apart from relaxing around the lakeside resorts, you have a vast choice of where to visit on day-trips, including boats & buses around the lake plus direct trains to Venice, Padova (one of my favourites), Verona, Vicenza and Milano.

Next, get a train to Rome - stop off in Florence and leave suitcases in left-luggage at the station for the day (or stay 1-2 nights before continuing to Rome). After Rome, get a train & boat to Sicily (see the Sicily forum for further advice/suggestions about the area).

Consider 4/5 nights Desenzano, 4/5 nights Rome and 4/5 nights Sicily (number of nights may depend on whether you do more than just a day in Florence) .

Enjoy!

Edited: 06 October 2013, 12:31
Milano
Level Contributor
4,230 posts
398 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: hooneymoon in Italy

From Rome to sicily trains are not so well after Naples.

You may fly to sicily or take a boat from naples.

Sicily is very big and full of arts-beaches.

I really like the baroque area (between Ragusa and Siracusa), to enjoy it you will need a car.

You may also consider small islands like Favignana or Eolie (an archipelago you may reach by boat from naples).

Riga, Latvia
Level Contributor
6 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: hooneymoon in Italy

Thank you so much for your advice! :)

Riga, Latvia
Level Contributor
6 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: hooneymoon in Italy

What you would suggest best to spend week in - Sardinia or Sicily?And what is weather like normaly in first two weeks of june?

Thank you in advance

Milano
Level Contributor
4,230 posts
398 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: hooneymoon in Italy

I know both islands quiet well, I prefer Sicily where you may spend evenings in fantastic old towns (as said in the previous post).

http://www.sanvitoweb.com/english/index.php (for example)

Sardinia has really the best beaches of Italy, it is less warm then Sicily, there are very expensive areas(Smeralda coast) and the towns are not as beautifoul as Sicily.

https://www.google.it/search?q=sardegna+spiagge&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=n4FSUoyqO4XPsgbqioHYBw&ved=0CC8QsAQ&biw=1311&bih=551&dpr=1

If you just would like to lie under the sun and need a fantastic beach Sardinia would be better, if you wand beaches and nice towns then Sicily is perfect.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,866 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: hooneymoon in Italy

With 2 weeks, assuming you have 14 full days/16 nights (don't count arrival and departure day) it might be very hard to squeeze in Sicily or Sardinia if you want to see Venice, Rome and Florence. As an alternative you may consider the Amalfi coast. As mentioned above, once you go south of Naples the trains slow down considerably.

you may want to do 3 nights in Venice, 5 nights in Rome and then fly to Palermo and spend your last 8 nights exploring Sicily. To make the most of your time, if possible fly into Venice and out of Palermo.

You want an guarantee about the weather, that is not possible. I went in mid june in 2010 and for the first week it was cool and rainy. Then I went in mid june in 2012 and it was 30-38 degrees every day. If you want a beach weather guarantee it would be safest to travel mid june or later. May could be variable.

Riga, Latvia
Level Contributor
6 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: hooneymoon in Italy

Thank you so much!

Riga, Latvia
Level Contributor
6 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: hooneymoon in Italy

Hello!

Which towns would you reccomend to see in Sicily? We fly in Palermo, are renting a car and flying out from Catania. We have 7 days. Whould like to see best beaches, Etna and the nicest towns with great arhitechure, history etc.

Thank you in advance