We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rome hotel near a metro station

manila
Level Contributor
177 posts
101 reviews
Save Topic
Rome hotel near a metro station

Hi will be visiting Rome and would like to stay in a hotel that is near an mrt station. And that mrt station also would have restaurants or shops surrounding it. I will be going with old people that has difficulty walking therefore would need a hotel that is convenient to food and transportation. Thanks

Budget would be around $100 -$150. Thanks

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
86,126 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rome hotel near a metro station

In Rome, the metro is not very useful for tourists. You might do better to stay near the bus route that runs from Termini to St Peter's Basilica.

How many of you will there be, and what is your budget in euros?

Fort Myers, Florida
Level Contributor
22 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rome hotel near a metro station

I cannot imagine doing Rome if there is difficulty with walking. Ditto for the metro.

When are you going and what are their interests?

Hotel Alamandi Tunisi is across the street from the Vatican Museum entrance. Although it might be in your budget, you must walk down a flight of stairs so I'd opt for its sister, Hotel Alamandi Vaticano with no stairs at entrance but more expensive. This area has many restaurants, pharmacy, supermarket.

Consider hiring a tour guide who'll drive them around to see the sights from the car without the walk. They'll see more and be more comfortable.

manila
Level Contributor
177 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rome hotel near a metro station

We will take the hop on hop off bus tour so transferring from the hotel to the starting point of the tour won't be a problem as long as the hotel is near the mrt station. Will definitely see those sights that are touristy, the normal sights though. Budget around 100-120 euros per night per room. Thanks

Fort Myers, Florida
Level Contributor
22 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rome hotel near a metro station

The hotel is about a block from a mrt station.

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,719 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rome hotel near a metro station

The metro stations are much more difficult for an elderly person to navigate than the buses are. Many of the stations have no elevators nor escalators, so there are steps to negotiate. I would much prefer to use buses and taxis if traveling with an elderly relative.

Also, the hop-on, hop-off buses can't get very near many of the tourist spots, because they aren't allowed to make very many stops in the center of the city, because of air pollution and traffic concerns. In addition, they can't enter some of the narrow streets where tourist sights are located.

Ormskirk, United...
Level Contributor
370 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rome hotel near a metro station

I would definitely avoid the metro for people with limited mobility (and even if you are an able-bodied young person with luggage) and use the buses, trams and local trains. Even if there is an elevator/escalator, walking distances within the metro system can take a considerable time.

You could consider staying in the central part of Trastevere, near the river / Isola Tiburina (island) / Piazza Santa Maria, which is flat so easy walking (some other areas of Trastevere are not so easy for walking as they are on a hill). The tram 8 route (street name Viale di Trastevere) takes you across the river in just a few minutes (or to Trastevere railway station if going in the other direction) and connects with various buses.

If you let us know exactly where you would like to visit, we may be able to give you further information regarding bus/tram/train numbers and accessibility for those of limited mobility. Don't let any mobility problems put you off visiting Rome - by posting your message on this forum, you can get good advice regarding the best places to visit, transport options and what to avoid.

There are lots of restaurants in Trastevere. In my experience, the side-streets tend to be cheaper - although I still sometimes eat in the main streets/piazzas where I have had good meals previously (I have also found a couple of great Indian restaurants for when I want a change from Italian food), plus there are cafes for relaxing and people-watching. Also, if you get off the tram at the first stop across the river from Trastevere, you are in the Jewish quarter (more restaurants and sight-seeing, with only short distances to walk).

Buses on the Trastevere side of the river follow the river-bank from the Vatican area to Trastevere, whilst buses on the opposite side of the river go towards the Vatican.

There is also a small bus (115) that takes you over Colle Gianicolo (Janiculum Hill) towards the Vatican - fantastic views across Rome; get off at the top of the hill then get a later bus back down. It is a circular route, so you can do it in either direction; I like it just before sunset, when the light is good for photos. I think it will be great if you have limited mobility, as there is next to no walking for fantastic views.

I would also suggest looking at b&bs and apartments as well as hotels; they could work out to be more affordable. Also, wherever you choose to stay check that there is an elevator - I have stayed in some places where I have had to walk up 2-3 flights of stairs),

What time of year are you visiting and how long for?

Also, have you any particular places you wish to visit? I'm asking as some places have elevators, such as the colosseum, but others don't, so people on this forum may be able to suggest options.

Edited: 07 October 2013, 05:40
manila
Level Contributor
177 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rome hotel near a metro station

I plan to see the ancient Roman Forum, the Colosseum and Circus Maximus. Visit St. Peter’s Basilica and see Michelangelo’s Pieta. Vatican among others. It seems that everyone is saying that riding a bus would be more convenient, maybe you could also show me the link on the bus system of Rome. And in that case, what hotel and which area is best to stay with a budget of around 120euros with convenient bus stops and or near mrt stations so that we would have options. Should also be near shops and restaurants. Thanks

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
24,721 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Rome hotel near a metro station

I took my 80 year old mother to Rome. The metro does'nt go to most tourist sites -- it is primarily designed for suburban commuters and it is full of stairs -- really unsuitable for people with mobility issues. You will need to learn to use buses and trams and will also probably need to be prepared to ask the teenagers sitting in the seats designated for the elderly and handicapped to give up their seats.

You might also consider cabs. The hotel budget is very low for a major European city and may not get you central hotel lodging with elevators etc.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
40,525 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Rome hotel near a metro station

Check www.venere.com - you can sort there by budget, room needs, location, etc

You may want to check for places near Roma Termini (main train station) as buses and metro originate from there -

I agree though that the metro is likely not a good choice for your needs; stick with buses and trams.

Here's some info on but/tram/metro (all use same ticket/passes):

roninrome.com/transportation/bus-metro-tram-…

10. Re: Rome hotel near a metro station

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 October 2014, 06:22