We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train Travel - Bag Type

Illinois
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Topic
Train Travel - Bag Type

Hello, I am taking trains from Rome to Assisi to Florence to Monterosso and finally to Venice. I think the majority of these trains are regional trains. Does it matter what size luggage I bring? I am trying to fit everything into a carryon but its getting tight. Not sure what baggage situation is on these trains. Thoughts?

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
33,664 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train Travel - Bag Type

I wouldn't bring anything larger than a carry on. There will be no one to help you with your luggage so if you over pack and can't lift your own bag you will be in real trouble. Go through what you want to bring and start paring down. Don't take anything that will only be worn with one specific item. Try to pack items that can be worn with multiple outfits. This will save space and weight.

Donna

Rome, Italy
Level Contributor
203 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train Travel - Bag Type

Luggage size usually does not matter on regional trains in Italy. there is a regulation on tickets for luggage, but nobody ever pays attention to these details. You can carry whatever you want!

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
33,664 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train Travel - Bag Type

That may be the regulation but for travel purposes it's important not to carry more than you can comfortably navigate by yourself. There is no help at train stations so if someone overpacks they will have difficulties getting on and off the trains. Also on high speed trains larger luggage cannot be stored at your seat but must be stored at the end of the carriage.

Donna

Boise, Idaho
Level Contributor
370 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Train Travel - Bag Type

On some of the trains there is a storage rack overhead. The trick is to make sure you can lift whatever suitcase you bring onto it. On some trains the storage area is at the end of the carriage. When that is the case the only size consideration is more weight and how hard it will be to lift it onto the train itself. My husband wears a backpack while I use a shoulder bag/backpack and pull a wheeled carry-on. The large shoulder bag/backpack I always keep with me at my seat.

Oxford UK
Level Contributor
1,159 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Train Travel - Bag Type

Take only what you can carry and lift yourself. And bear in mind there will be a step or steps to board the train.

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
32,656 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Train Travel - Bag Type

When you say "I am trying to fit everything into a carryon" ... whatever you take, of whatever size, has to be carried on, it goes without saying! "Carryon" (?!) is not a size or type of bag. Even if you are thinking of what airlines permit as "cabin baggage", the size varies. However, it ought to be small enough to fit on an overhead rack: if it doesn't, you will need to find one of the few spaces behind back-to-back seats or at the ends of carriages that can take a larger case.

That said, some types of bag (e.g. soft-sided) may be easier to lift than others, and to take down from the overhead rack (I have one rigid one that I have learned not to take as it has only one handle, and on one of the long sides, making it difficult to grasp from the top). However, I have to have one with wheels, which makes things much easier even if you can't always rely on escalators to be working. My maximum carrying weight is about 12 kg, yours might be different.

You can get an idea of what the carriages/overhead racks look like from here: http://www.initaly.com/travel/info/edwin.htm

san francisco
Level Contributor
1,770 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Train Travel - Bag Type

HI dellapor, You have gotten some wise advice so far, but I would like to add that many times while traveling in Italy by train I have had some big suitcases and some big sons to help me with them, so to answer your question I will say you can bring more than a carry on if you want. There will be people to help you at the stations, but you will not want their help. They will be looking for cash or whatever they can steal from you. Shoo them off with vigor. There is always a gentleman or two on the train who you can use for assistance. I always count on the kindness of strangers. You must keep an eye on your bags though. Have a great vacation.

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
33,664 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Train Travel - Bag Type

Sorry, but you cannot count on there being anyone to help you with your luggage. There are often times when people are struggling to get their own luggage on board before the train leaves. If you cannot handle your own luggage you should down size. To go on a trip with the intention of relying on random strangers to help you is ill advised. The best thing to do is to pack only what you can handle. If that's only a carry on sized bag then that's what you should bring. If it's a full sized suitcase then you should bring it. In any case be sure you can carry it up steep steps and lift it over your head into the bin. If you can put it in the bin be sure you're comfortable with leaving it at the end of the carriage.

donna

Independence, Kansas
Level Contributor
1,895 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Train Travel - Bag Type

We just returned from two weeks in Rome, Venice, and Florence using only carry-ons. We've even done hunting safaris in Africa taking only a carry-on each. Jeans are acceptable everywhere in Italy, even the opera. We each took one pair of dark jeans and wore one, 5 sets of undies and socks, three shirts, bought a couple T shirts there and washed out socks and polyester tops in the hotel room sink. I only changed from blue jeans to black jeans for the opera, oh, and I also buttoned the top button on my shirt. Voila, formal opera wear.

Ormskirk, United...
Level Contributor
370 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Train Travel - Bag Type

Most of the time when I go to Italy I am travelling alone (female), with a 22kg large suitcase (on the train I just put it in the ground-floor luggage storage rack at the end of the carriage and keep a watch on it at every station), plus I take a travel-bag & handbag (they total 10kg).I have no problems in handling them all on public transport, but it does depend on the individual person's stamina.

I am only in my 40s but have found that every bus/tram/train journey I take I am offered assistance by other passengers or a train-guard; interestingly, this is more often by women than men!