We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

TIM SIM card with Data - Internet Access

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Topic
TIM SIM card with Data - Internet Access

HI I purchased an italian TIM sim card Ricarica for my phone ( prepaid and with Data enabled.)

the only way I could access the internet was via the web site TimC@fe.

ie could not just open brownser ..google or faceb ook with out access via TIM website

is this the way it is meant to work ?

apart from that I found it very convenient and easy to use

thanks ...walkmag

New Jersey
Level Contributor
218 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: TIM SIM card with Data - Internet Access

bvienci,

first I want to thank you for all of the time you spend on these boards answering our laborious questions about phone and data SIMS!

I am traveling to Italy and then on a cruise which stops in France and Spain, then returning to Italy. total time about 14 days. I would like phone, text, and data service for my unlocked iphone and ipad. You have explained it well and I plan to purchase a TIM International New SIM card with the Viaggio Full plan. Most of my talk/data usage will be in Italy on the land based portion of our vacation, but I like the idea of having the ability to connect if needed while we are on shore excursions in other countries. Although I didn't grow up with such connectivity, I now find the peace of mind it gives to be worth the price.

My question is this... would any TIM authorized seller be able to provide these SIMS and plans? I am heading right from FCO airport to Civitavecchia. There are two TIM authorized sellers in Civi, but they look like tobacco shop type places and aren't full TIM retail storefronts. Will I be able to get what I want there? Is it advisable to learn to ask for what I want in Italian, or maybe bring a printout, just in case? I know you probably don't know these specific stores, but just wondering what your experience has been outside of Rome or TIM-specific retail stores.

thanks in advance...

New Jersey
Level Contributor
218 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: TIM SIM card with Data - Internet Access

sorry double posted!

Edited: 16 April 2014, 14:38
Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,414 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: TIM SIM card with Data - Internet Access

How are you getting to Civitavecchia? If you're taking the train, passing through Termini station, there is a TIM store there.

A private transfer service would probably be willing to stop at a TIM store, but might charge more for the trip.

Do you have a link to those two stores in Civitavecchia? Or did you find them on the TIM web site? Usually a tobacco shop wouldn't see SIM cards, but any place that sells phones would. That would include electronics shops, small appliance shops, and some camera shops.

The TIM in Viaggio Full plan would work outside of Italy, on your port days. The TIM international New plan would work in Italy but only for calls to other countries, such as calling back home. What's missing is a plan for data service while you're in Italy. That could be provided by TIM Welcome (€20) or by a slightly cheaper plan, TIM Special Start (€19). I would recommend the TIM Welcome, because it's only one euro more and includes calls to other countries, so you could call home now and then. It also includes more internet.

If you think you'll use data services three or more times a week when you're outside Italy, the TIM in Viaggio Pass plan would save you money over the TIM in Viaggio Full plan.

Your total cost would be 10 euros for the SIM card, 20 euros for the TIM Welcome plan and 10 euros for one week of the TIM in Viaggio Pass plan. (The TIM in Viaggio Pass doesn't get charged until you first use it outside of Italy, but you should add the 10 euros when you get the SIM card to avoid having to top up your credit later. If you'll need service outside of Italy for more than one week, the TIM in Viaggio Pass plan automatically falls back to TIM in Viaggio Full, which should be sufficient for a few days. Your SIM card comes with 5 euros of initial credit, which would cover a few phone calls, and maybe one day of data service under TIM in Viaggio Full. If that's not enough, you should add a bit more credit to the SIM card when you buy it.

I would print out the TIM International New page, which I gave a link for above. Then I would write on the page whatever other services you want, such as TIM Welcome and TIM in Viaggio (Pass or Full).

New Jersey
Level Contributor
218 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: TIM SIM card with Data - Internet Access

thanks for the reply bvienci!

I found the stores on TIM's website using the store locator. We're taking a private transfer service (rome cabs)...maybe I will email them and ask if they know of a place to stop on the way. We're using them for 5 different services so I'm hoping they wouldn't charge me extra for this!

Yes I think we might use data more than 3x/week so the Viaggio Pass sounds better, along with TIM Welcome.

I will do as you advised and print out/ circle the plans I want as I think it will be easiest to communicate that way!

you are very helpful thanks again!!

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
61 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: TIM SIM card with Data - Internet Access

Hi I find it abit confusing about the various bundle deals, need advise if this should be what I should be getting. I just need data plans for 1gb 4G for 1 week in Rome, Assisi and Florence. No need to make calls. So am i right to say I need to take this package, is TIM Special Start. It has a monthly bundle of 200 minutes (over three hours) of talk time, 200 texts, and 1 gb of internet for €15? Pls advise. Thanlsk

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,414 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: TIM SIM card with Data - Internet Access

As I often say, all of the phone providers are constantly changing their plans. TIM Special Start now has 600 minutes of talk, 600 text messages, and 1 gb of data, but it costs €19 a month. It's also not 4g; the maximum speed is around 14mbps.

First of all, is this for a phone or for a tablet, or for a USB modem or a wifi hotspot device? They have different plans for each type of device. I ask because it would be very difficult to use 1 gb of data in a week on a phone, because data for phones is compressed a lot more than for tablets and laptops.

If it's for a phone, you might want to get the basic TIM 12 plan for calls; you need some plan for calls, and this plan costs nothing if you don't make any calls. Then for internet, there is a plan called TIM x Smartphone 4G, which is just for one week and gives you 500 mb of data on the LTE network, which approximates 4G speeds (up to 70mbps). The cost of this is €6 per week, and it renews automatically from the available credit on the SIM card. The SIM card costs €10 and will include €5 of initial credit, so you'll need to add at least €5 of credit to cover the cost of the data plan for the first week.

I doubt that you'll find 4G coverage in Umbria, though. Even though it's a famous place, it's in a very rural area. When there is no LTE network available, the 4G plan still offers higher speeds than the Special Start plans, up to about 40mbps.

If this is not for a phone, tell us what it is for, and we'll try to help you.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
61 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: TIM SIM card with Data - Internet Access

Hi bvlenci

Thanks for your advise. Yes it's for my smart phone use mainly to check online, upload photos in facebook n check map. So if I get you right I should just get basic TIM 12 plan for calls; Then for internet, i get TIM x Smartphone 4G, which is just for one week and gives you 500 mb of data on the LTE network, which approximates 4G speeds (up to 70mbps). The cost of this is €6 per week, and it renews automatically from the available credit on the SIM card. The SIM card costs €10 and will include €5 of initial credit, so you'll need to add at least €5 of credit to cover the cost of the data plan for the first week.

so total I'm expected to pay €15? Or €16? Which I read I can pay in cash so won't get overcharge right. Pls advise . Thanks for your help!

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,414 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: TIM SIM card with Data - Internet Access

€15 should be enough if you'll be in Italy only for one week.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
61 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
29. Re: TIM SIM card with Data - Internet Access

Thanks for your help!

Smyrna, Georgia
Level Contributor
115 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
30. Re: TIM SIM card with Data - Internet Access

I will be in italy for 2.5 weeks, need to be able to make a small amount of telephone calls to other mobiles in Italy, and a TBD amount of internet data. I feel like 2GB might not be quite enough for me but I am not sure. TIM's website is a bit confusing. And it does seem the deals change frequently. What's my current best bet?