We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

travelling to Italy covering venice, Floreance, Rome

singapore
Level Contributor
169 posts
Save Topic
travelling to Italy covering venice, Floreance, Rome

Hi ,

My family of 4 (2 teens) wanted to explore Italy covering Venice, Florence and Rome from 28Nov to 8Dec. We're not planning to rent a car but planning to make use of public transport, which i believe should be the train.

As my air-ticket restrict me to fly in and fly out from the same airport (either Rome or Venice) that mean i need to travel back where I arrived.

May i know how should I start planning? In Florence, I would like to visit Leaning Tower of Pisa.

how much does it cost for the overall train route to cover the 3 areas as well as leaning tower of Pisa?

Very much appreciated for any advice.

thanks

Likely To Sell Out
Skip the Line: St Peter’s and Sistine...
22,966 reviews
from US$75.90*
Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: Sistine Chapel Viewing...
528 reviews
from US$410.40*
Likely To Sell Out
Ancient Rome and Colosseum Tour...
2,818 reviews
from US$123.10*
Special Offer
Skip the Line: Ancient Rome and...
11,606 reviews
from US$57.10*
US$63.40
Roma
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
12,721 posts
656 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: travelling to Italy covering venice, Floreance, Rome

Pisa is a city on its own quite different from Florence. And there is not just the leaning Tower, anyway.

Train fares are erratic. There are some good offers which get sold out rather soon; the earlier you book, the likely you are to find low prices. Just now may be a good moment to book your train tickets. If one of the children is not 15 years old yet, you can take advantage of the offer Familia

www.trenitalia.com/cms/v/index.jsp…

Anyway, make sure of the date and of the schedules of your journeys before booking (most offers are no-change-no-refunds); and check also the website of the other company ItaloTreno.

All that is valid for the connections Rome-Florence and Florence-Venice. From Florence to Pisa you can take a regional train (the price is regularly low and there are no offers, so no use booking in advance).

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
33,996 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: travelling to Italy covering venice, Floreance, Rome

Apart from looking at convenience of flight times into/out of either airport, the only practical difference between travelling Venice-Florence-Rome-Venice or Rome-Florence-Venice-Rome (with a side-trip to Pisa from Florence) is getting between Venice or Rome airport and these respective cities.

Which is cheaper and faster (at least by train) in Rome but more spectacular in Venice.

The trains will cost the same in either direction, unless possibly timing means taking a different type of train on one leg, in one direction rather than the other.

For "youth fares", you would have to buy 2 Carta Verde cards (€40 each) to obtain 10% reduction on train fares, which I don't really see as likely to be worth it. So normally you'll pay the same for your teens as for the adults, and can reduce the price for all by buying Frecce/Italtreno trains well in advance. Although this would of course be at the cost of flexibility.

singapore
Level Contributor
169 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: travelling to Italy covering venice, Floreance, Rome

thanks Aristofane & qaminari.

How far is Florence to Pisa? A day trip good to Pisa good enough?

If time constraint, which is place is worth the visit, Florence or Pisa?

How many type of train or train company in Italy from Venice-Florence-Rome? Trenitalia and ItaloTreno?

they run the same route?

many thanks

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
30,326 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: travelling to Italy covering venice, Floreance, Rome

The train time between Pisa Centrale and Firenze S M Novella (Florence) is about one hour each way with frequent trains - see www.trenitalia.com clicking the UK flag first for English, enter the 'hour' of departure e.g. '13' for 13.00 and using a date before December 15 - and a date this week to see fares on Regional trains. Stay in Florence rather than Pisa.

Children of 13 and 14 go half fare on trains with reserved seats, e.g those between Venezia S Lucia, Firenze S M Novella and Roma Termini, and buying half fare Economy tickets bought in advance can often work out cheaper than the Family offer. But on Regional trains, e.g. between Florence and Pisa, only children of eleven and under travel half fare.

The route used by Trenitalia and Italtreno trains between Rome, Florence and Venice is exactly the same, but Italtreno trains depart from different stations in Rome.

Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
57 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: travelling to Italy covering venice, Floreance, Rome

Which station would you recommend to depart from Rome for Florence for first timers to Rome? Termini or Tiburtina? Trenitalia uses Termini while Italotreno goes out from Tiburtina and Ost. I heard that Termini is very busy and may be confusing.

Mille grazie.

singapore
Level Contributor
169 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: travelling to Italy covering venice, Floreance, Rome

Thank you All.

Any suggestion on which hotels to stay in Rome that easy for the following:

1. Easy to move around the city.

2. transfer to hotel from airport , we will be arriving in Rome.

3. and later to train station to Florence?

Many thanks

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
35,096 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: travelling to Italy covering venice, Floreance, Rome

All of them. There is no single hotel that is close to all the sites so any hotel will do. Rome is a very easy city to walk so any hotel in the city center will allow for that.

Some hotels will arrange for a transfer from the airport but you'll pay more than if you arrange it yourself. Try romecabs.com or romeshuttlelimousine. Both are great transfer companies that get high ratings here and on other forums.

Depending on where your hotel is you can walk, take public transport or a taxi to the termini.

Donna

Roma
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
12,721 posts
656 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: travelling to Italy covering venice, Floreance, Rome

SpringingApril: Termini or Tiburtina (or Ostiense) make not so much difference. To both one can go by metro (lines A and B to Termini, line B to Ostiense - stop Piramide - line B, direction Rebibbia, to Tiburtina). Generally speaking, choose the train connection which looks more suitable; reaching the stations is not an issue.

singapore
Level Contributor
169 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: travelling to Italy covering venice, Floreance, Rome

Hi All,

i am looking at these 3 hotel/B&B, have anyone stay before?

Which one is better and is of walking distance to train station, which i can easily push the luggage to catch a train to Florence?

1. IQ Hotel

2. History Suite

3. B&B Roma

any other recommendations?

many thanks

London, United...
Level Contributor
67 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: travelling to Italy covering venice, Floreance, Rome

Hi

Can someone tell me where can I get a map of tourist spots attached to train stations? Also, recommendation of some hotels near local transport lines.

Effectively, I am looking for a hotel which is not very central but still connects me to a public transport so that I don't need to pay the high prices of a central hotel.

I am not able to see a map with transport details and tourist spots.