We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tips for travelers who are visiting Rome soon.

Malaga, Spain
Level Contributor
19 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Tips for travelers who are visiting Rome soon.

Just got back from Italy and have some tips to share.

It is very convenient to stay at a hotel near Termini (train station). There are many shops,fast food restaurants, pharmacies,...in Termini and you will be able to travel by train whenever you want.

Try not to change money in Termini. You will find better exchange rates in the area around.

Metro/bus ticket is valid for 100 minutes. You can use your ticket to ride the bus (one entry), and the same ticket for metro (one entry).

Try to buy train tickets from the machines not the ticket office. You can find special offers and good deals on the machines, especially on weekends.

Most locals don't know English well so it is useful to learn some basic words in Italian.

Likely To Sell Out
Skip the Line: St Peter’s and Sistine...
23,051 reviews
from US$77.00*
Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: Sistine Chapel Viewing...
530 reviews
from US$416.80*
Likely To Sell Out
Ancient Rome and Colosseum Tour...
2,844 reviews
from US$125.00*
Skip the Line: Ancient Rome and...
11,644 reviews
from US$58.00*
pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
35,511 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Tips for travelers who are visiting Rome soon.

There are lots of people who like staying in the termini area. They like the cost and being so close to public transport. Everyone has their own tastes. I understand that you may not like the area but everyone has their own opinions. Again, just because you don't find the information helpful doesn't mean someone else won't.

Donna

London, England
Level Contributor
8,841 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Tips for travelers who are visiting Rome soon.

Yeah, yeah. Yes, we are all entitled to our own opinions.

Cambridgeshire...
Level Contributor
4,668 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Tips for travelers who are visiting Rome soon.

Hermaeriza, Armitis was only trying to be helpful.

I've stayed near Termini, apart from not being very pretty, there's nothing wrong with it. In fact, if you intend to use public transport it's a very convenient area. If I could afford it, I would prefer to stay in a more picturesque location, but I have to live within my means.

As for fast food, some people like it, I don't eat it at home or abroad - with exception of pizza which has to be the best fast food going and, according to my personal taste, Roman pizze are the best there are.

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
35,511 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Tips for travelers who are visiting Rome soon.

So rude....I guess you're just trying to be helpful...perhaps you should try a little harder.

Donna

Edited: 17 October 2013, 11:16
London, England
Level Contributor
8,841 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Tips for travelers who are visiting Rome soon.

I'm not being rude, just honest and stating my opinion.

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
35,511 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Tips for travelers who are visiting Rome soon.

***Yeah, yeah.***

Donna

West Chester...
Level Contributor
1,007 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Tips for travelers who are visiting Rome soon.

I've been using Tripadviser Forum for years, usually to help plan a vacation, check information. But recently i've really been dismayed by the judgmental nature to so many of the responses posted by those who see themselves as experts re travel and in many response downright rudeness. One doesn't have to agree with anyones opinion if how to take a vacation or their interpretation of what they have observed. But it can be done with respect and in a manner that suggests alternatives, making it clear that the alternative is just the poster's opinion and not Gospel.

It's not just this thread but in many others recently.

Maybe TA needs to require a short course in Marshall McLuhens The Media is The Message so everyone remembers this is a Hot Media and responses need to be tempered. Otherwise this attitude of superiority will ruin what has been a great source of info.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
42,787 posts
Save Reply
18. Re: Tips for travelers who are visiting Rome soon.

I think I will pass on taking manners advice from someone who is so supportive of posters who irrationally accuse Italians as perpetrating scams on tourists - when, they themselves are at fault.

Character, and all that, you know.

Italy
Level Contributor
6,149 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Tips for travelers who are visiting Rome soon.

Momcat: I love you!

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
35,511 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Tips for travelers who are visiting Rome soon.

Wait wait wait!! You're accusing me of being judgemental when it was another poster on this thread who said

*** really don't think your advice is very useful.***

as well as

***I can't imagine who. Plenty of good info on here, but not this post.****

All to a poster who is just trying to help.

I totally agree with Momcat and will abstain from taking manners lessons from you. You evidently couldn't tell the right side of a discussion if it bit you.

Donna

Edited: 17 October 2013, 15:06