We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tips for travelers who are visiting Rome soon.

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Limassol, Cyprus
Level Contributor
15 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Tips for travelers who are visiting Rome soon.

Just got back from Italy and have some tips to share.

It is very convenient to stay at a hotel near Termini (train station). There are many shops,fast food restaurants, pharmacies,...in Termini and you will be able to travel by train whenever you want.

Try not to change money in Termini. You will find better exchange rates in the area around.

Metro/bus ticket is valid for 100 minutes. You can use your ticket to ride the bus (one entry), and the same ticket for metro (one entry).

Try to buy train tickets from the machines not the ticket office. You can find special offers and good deals on the machines, especially on weekends.

Most locals don't know English well so it is useful to learn some basic words in Italian.

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
776 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Tips for travelers who are visiting Rome soon.

I find the information useful, I am staying in that area, and probably are a lot of other people.

West Chester...
Level Contributor
921 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Tips for travelers who are visiting Rome soon.

The message wasn't to anyone in particular just a general tone in the posts. Keep cool.

However I am getting the feeling I'm being stalked. As they say on Twitter, there's a toad in the works.

Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
265 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Tips for travelers who are visiting Rome soon.

I found this forum a fantastic help when planning my recent trip.

Please don't let it get like some other forums where people start being nasty,

I agree the response saying ''really don't think your advice is very useful'' is rude and opinionated, but lots of people will be helped by the post and that's what matters here is it not. :)

The post re

York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
428 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Tips for travelers who are visiting Rome soon.

I'm a seasoned traveler to Rome, get by with my terrible Italian and also shun fast food. And always - but always - stay in the Termini area. It's a terrific area as a base, friendly, down to earth, reasonably priced and quiet at night. Would I recommend it to someone who wants a thoroughly "tourist" experience? No. But as a suitable base for the self-reliant traveler who wants an authentic "life in 21st Century Rome with enough history to keep you occupied for years" experience I can't honestly think of anywhere better. Not that *I* could afford... Centro Storico's too crowded, anyway... Trastevere's getting the same way very quickly, Campo di Fiore maybe, but I'm not sure I need the drunks and the fighting. Nope, Esquilino's the place for me every time.

Edited: 18 October 2013, 23:23
West Chester...
Level Contributor
921 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Tips for travelers who are visiting Rome soon.

Havent stayed in Rome overnight in ages so I'm not familiar with Campo diFiore. You mentioned fights and drunks, not something I would associate with other Italian cities. What is it about the area that causes this behavior, is it a club area?

Edited: 19 October 2013, 00:22
Quebec
Destination Expert
for Mont Tremblant
Level Contributor
10,968 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: Tips for travelers who are visiting Rome soon.

We stayed for a week right in the Campo di Fiori in the height of summer. We had a terrasse overlooking the street. We never saw or heard any trouble. We walked about late at night with no issues at all. We had teens with us and they never saw any trouble either.

Perhaps one persons trouble is another's fun?

Passo Corese, Italy
Level Contributor
1,509 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: Tips for travelers who are visiting Rome soon.

@atp2007: piazza Campo de' Fiori has become a popular drinking spot for young people (in particular, foreign tourists who engage in pub crawls). Brawls aren't that uncommon.

Edited: 19 October 2013, 09:15
West Chester...
Level Contributor
921 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: Tips for travelers who are visiting Rome soon.

Okay that sounds familiar. Might have seen a feature on the news a few years ago about how pub style drinking bars have spread to Italy and led to US and Brit style drinking. Thanks for the memory jogger, hope that behavior stays confined to that small area.

Viera, Florida
Level Contributor
901 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
29. Re: Tips for travelers who are visiting Rome soon.

I still think TA needs a like and dislike button!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
2,351 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
30. Re: Tips for travelers who are visiting Rome soon.

We also stayed in the Campo de' Fiori area for a week and found it to be very pleasant at night, just regular people walking around enjoying the evening. I had found a few articles online about problems and was a bit concerned before we left, but the stories were mostly several years old. There was a police car parked at one end a few of the evenings. If there are problems they must be few and far between.

Just curious how many people have actually seen any "brawls" there.

Edited: 31 October 2013, 02:05