We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

road trip from Rome

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
yelm,wa
Level Contributor
233 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
road trip from Rome

Will be at company meeting Jan 2. in Rome. We will arrive early and plan on renting a car and doing the countryside. We will be driving around from Dec. 27th until the 30th or 31st. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
32,292 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: road trip from Rome

Ummmm???? Suggestions on what?????

Donna

Missouri
Level Contributor
1,070 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: road trip from Rome

Yes, please give us a little more to go on! You've got 3 or 4 days; you could do pretty much whatever you want, including Venice, Tuscany/Florence, Naples/Pompeii, the Adriatic coast.

yelm,wa
Level Contributor
233 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: road trip from Rome

dont want to drive terribly far and wondered about recommendations for that time of year. thanks

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
32,292 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: road trip from Rome

Again, you're not giving us any information to work with. How far is "not too far"? Do you mean an hour or a day away? Recommendations for what? Cities to visit, places to sleep, sites to see? You haven't told us what information you're looking for.

donna

yelm,wa
Level Contributor
233 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: road trip from Rome

Trying to figure out what area would be best. Some sort of scenic drive where we would not be driving constantly. Is there an area that would have better or weather or more things going on. I realize January can be not quite as nice.

Thanks for your patience

Rome, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
5,271 posts
619 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: road trip from Rome

Some more information about you, your prior experience in Italy, and what you want to do would be really useful to help people answer your post ....

If you have not been to Rome before, why not stay there and see some sights, as well as experience New Year's Eve? Also, if you have not previously driven in Italy, let me say that driving in Italy is not -- by far -- the same as driving in the U.S. While an American, I was born and raised in Rome and go there often so I can vouch for that! Moreover, driving into and parking in many Italian towns is very difficult due to restrictions on what zones a non-resident can enter -- and your rental company will definitely find you to pass on the fines assessed by the traffic cameras. So, unless you are well versed on driving in Italy, I'd suggest having a base in Rome and doing some day trips by train -- there are many options that will take you to some lovely places. This TA Forum has a lot of guidance on day trips -- see the Top Questions about Rome -- What are some good day trips from Rome?

yelm,wa
Level Contributor
233 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: road trip from Rome

I have been to Rome and do enjoy the countryside.. I drove in Italy 15 years ago with no issues. Has it changed?

I like being able to meander on my drives and stop where my heart desires.

?

Missouri
Level Contributor
1,070 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: road trip from Rome

Given the time of year, you might want to go south. You could see the Amalfi Coast and Pompeii (which would be great without the crushing heat of the summer), and just look around down the coast.

yelm,wa
Level Contributor
233 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: road trip from Rome

Are there small villages that compare to the mountain villages?

Missouri
Level Contributor
1,070 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: road trip from Rome

Well, there are many charming towns along the coast. It's more "touristy" because it's a tourist destination for many. I think if you went inland from there, you would find "non-touristy" towns and villages. South of Salerno, it looks like you can drive right down the coastline, which would afford some beautiful views. An hour or so south of Salerno are the Greek ruins at Paestum, if you like old stuff.