We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rome for 5 days

Auckland Central...
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Topic
Rome for 5 days

Hi,

Me and my wife have booked 4 nights 5 days in Rome.. and are flying in next week. We were wondering how much cash would we require for the attractions and food etc.

Our accomodation is paid for already. We are not particulaly looking at eating in very fancy places.. just everyday food places.

I understand the Romapass is around 34 euro each and would work for our travels on 3 of the 5 days and even give us admission into a few attractions, e.g. Colosseum, Gallery Borghese,

Of the 5 days we plan to do the Vatican for a whole day, most likely one of the days outside the Romapass as it does not work there for the entries.

I am thinking carrying cash over Credit Cards would be easier to just hand out. I have been told to split it by some people, as cards are widely accepted, any advice?

Would I be wise in saying $100 euro for attractions and transport per person per day as an average be more than sufficient?

Mentioned in this post
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Colosseum
Colosseum
118,697 Reviews
Rome, Italy
Colosseum Tour with Skip-the-Line...
238 Reviews
from US$36.30*
Rome Ancient Monuments Tour with...
301 Reviews
from US$43.80*
Likely To Sell Out
Small-Group Tour: Colosseum...
184 Reviews
from US$148.80*
The Official 2-Hour Colosseum...
13 Reviews
from US$116.30*
Rome, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
6,357 posts
675 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rome for 5 days

This recent thread may be helpful for you regarding the issue of cash versus credit cards: tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187791-i22-k59277… While many places do take credit cards, smaller restaurants and taxis often do not take credit cards, so you will always need some cash, particularly small bills.

Whether 100 euro per day for two people is sufficient ... well, it depends. It depends on what kind of dining you will be doing (take away pizza or sandwiches for some meals, or "everyday" sit down restaurants twice a day?), whether you are having cocktails or ordering a bottle of wine, how often you are hopping in a taxi, whether you are tipping tour guides, etc.

There are good budget dining options -- here's a good place to start: parlafood.com/budget-dining-in-rome-revised/ And, a thread that has a good discussion about what to expect as to costs when dining out -- tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187791-i22-k61638…

Always check the menu prices to avoid surprises.

Auckland Central...
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Rome for 5 days

Thanks,

I guess I will carry the cash and split it into two reserves. might be the easiest option. NZ cards withdrawing in Europe would cost me $10 each time and added on top I would get a lower rate of exchange.

100 euros I am hoping for is per person per day.

I do not see the point in eating in vey fancy restraunts for the namesake and being charged excessively. I would rather think eating where the locals do in places frequented by the locals rather than the tourists would be a better way to go.

In sayig this I am not on a very stict budget and if something was to cost XYZ and was worth its value I would have no qualms in paying for it.

More in terms of getting an idea for how much money to carry with me, as Rome is our first destination before proceeding on to Barcelona and Paris which I have heard is quite expensive.

Mentioned in this post
Europe
Europe
World
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Barcelona
Barcelona
Province of Barcelona, Spain
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Maryland
Level Contributor
1,616 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rome for 5 days

Are you looking to do the Vatican Museum? If so it is better to book online. Enjoy Rome!

Mentioned in this post
Enjoy Rome
Enjoy Rome
1,189 Reviews
Rome, Italy
Auckland Central...
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Rome for 5 days

We are definitely planning to spend a bit of time in the Vatican Museum - wasnt aware I need to book it however.

Planning the day as such - Early in the morning to go visit St Peter's Basilica, St Peters Square, and the Sistine Chapel while the crowd level is low and spend a bit of time visiting and admiring the close by monuments and structures.

Lunch and then visit the Museum for a bit of time

then spend the evening in the Gardens and see the necropolis.

Does that sound like a reasonable plan?

Mentioned in this post
Sistine Chapel
Sistine Chapel
15,845 Reviews
Vatican City, Italy
San Diego...
Level Contributor
108 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rome for 5 days

Trying to predict the amount of cash you will use can be challenging. Small restaurants that cater to locals rarely accept credit cards in Rome. I have traveled in a number of European countries and I was surprised at how many places did not accept credit cards.as far as your cash I need to go, I found that using an ATM card was the best answer.ATMs are conveniently located in many locations and I found it was much safer than carrying a lot of cash around.

Mentioned in this post
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
92,944 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rome for 5 days

If you want to visit the Galleria Borghese, it is essential that you book ahead as visitor numbers are limited. galleriaborghese.it/borghese/en/edefault.htm

For the Vatican Museums, book direct at mv.vatican.va

Mentioned in this post
Galleria Borghese
Galleria Borghese
14,471 Reviews
Rome, Italy
Vatican Museums
Vatican Museums
30,651 Reviews
Vatican City, Italy
Ormskirk, United...
Level Contributor
370 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rome for 5 days

"We are definitely planning to spend a bit of time in the Vatican Museum - wasnt aware I need to book it however.Planning the day as such - Early in the morning to go visit St Peter's Basilica, St Peters Square, and the Sistine Chapel while the crowd level is low and spend a bit of time visiting and admiring the close by monuments and structures.Lunch and then visit the Museum for a bit of time then spend the evening in the Gardens and see the necropolis."

It is best to book for the Vatican museums, to bypass queues. The Sistine Chapel is part of the museums, not separate. Also, when you say you want to spend the evening in "the gardens" do you mean the Vatican gardens? These can only be visited on a guided tour - but note that the ticket includes entry (unguided) into the museums including Sistine Chapel.

Check out the Vatican museums website for details, including prices and opening times/days (select your language, then the link is down the right-hand side of the next page): http://www.vatican.va/

You also need reservations for the necropolis beneath St Peter’s basilica – note that ticket numbers are very limited: vatican.va/roman_curia/institutions_connecte…

Mentioned in this post
Sistine Chapel
Sistine Chapel
15,845 Reviews
Vatican City, Italy
pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
37,207 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Rome for 5 days

Tickets for the necropolis are booked months in advance and are very hard to get. If you haven't requested a date and time by now it may be impossible to get tickets for this very limited tour.

The Vatican gardens can only be seen while on tour. They are not open to the general public. To get to the Sistine Chapel you must go all the way through the museums. It's a brisk half hour walk to get there, more with crowds.

***Early in the morning to go visit St Peter's Basilica, St Peters Square, and the Sistine Chapel while the crowd level is low***

Just be aware that the crowds are never low in the chapel. There are literally wall to wall people. You won't have room to turn around without running into someone. The galleries leading up to the chapel are just as bad. The crowds tend to be the highest in the mornings, especially at St. Peters basilica. You must go through the security line which can be quite long.

The Vatican is not a place you can just visit. There are only a few areas open to the general public. You need entry tickets for the museums and tickets to climb the dome. You can only visit the gardens and necropolis while on tour. The basilica is free but you must still go through a long security line. For all areas you must be properly dressed or you can be denied entry. For men it's pants and a shirt that covers the shoulders. For women, they must have their knees and shoulders covered.

Donna

Mentioned in this post
Sistine Chapel
Sistine Chapel
15,845 Reviews
Vatican City, Italy
St. Peter's Basilica
St. Peter's Basilica
32,792 Reviews
Vatican City, Italy
Boise, Idaho
Level Contributor
378 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Rome for 5 days

The only way to see the Sistine Chapel when the crowds are low is to follow the advice we were once given: Make a reservation for opening time. Once you get in and go through security, walk very very quickly to the chapel, not stopping to look at anything on the way. All the tour groups take their time making their way through the museum to the chapel. Even individuals that headed straight there weren't walking as fast as we were. We had the chapel almost to ourselves for about 15 minutes when we did it this way.

Mentioned in this post
Sistine Chapel
Sistine Chapel
15,845 Reviews
Vatican City, Italy
Reading UK
Level Contributor
130 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Rome for 5 days

This is exactly what we did 50 years ago, glad to hear it still works. We had no trouble backtracking to other areas of the museum then, is that still easy to do?