We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

coming to Rome in the summer

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Amman, Jordan
Level Contributor
327 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
coming to Rome in the summer

we (me, my wife, my 2 years old daughter) plan to come to Rome next summer, and I wonder if you can help us create our itinerary for 8 days, knowing that we love to go to parks, old places and palaces and shopping malls. also please suggest the best places to book a hotel or an apartment in terms of transportation and safety.

also it would be great if you suggest places where we can eat, knowing that we need places that offer Halal or kosher food.

how much do you think such a trip will cost?

Thank you very much

Amman, Jordan
Level Contributor
327 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: coming to Rome in the summer

i am budgeting about 75 euros per night for a hotel or an apartment or a total 550 euros. also I can spend about 2000 euros for the trip. is that reasonable or not?

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
31,411 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: coming to Rome in the summer

You can find hotels by using venere.com or booking.com. You can search by date and budget.

Only you can make up your own itinerary. We are not travel agents. Get a guide book and decide what sites you want to see. Once you have a list we will be happy to help you arrange your sites in a good working order.

Donna

Rome, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
5,208 posts
618 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: coming to Rome in the summer

There's a list of halal restaurants at www.zabihah.com/sp.php?l=rome&country=us You'll find some kosher restaurants in the old Ghetto quarter of Rome, such as Ba; Ghetto Milky (Via del Portico d'Ottavia, which we've tried and liked) and its counterpart Ba' Ghetto with meat (which we have not tried yet). Here's a short list: selectitaly.com/blog/… If you can eat at other places so long as there is no meat, try pasta dishes like Rome's traditional cacio e pepe (literally just cheese and pepper -- simple but delicious!) or meatless pizza.

If access to kosher restaurants is a big draw for you, I'd try staying in the Campo de' Fiori/Piazza Navona area, or close-in parts of Trastevere. Definitely stay within the historic center so you can walk to as many sights as possible (although Rome is large and you can't walk to everything). You may want to look for a child-friendly apartment versus a hotel -- just a thought.

As for parks, Rome has some beautiful ones: two that come to mind are around Villa Boghese, or Villa Pamphili. There are free apps with handy maps of those parks -- https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/id573901973 and https:/… Combine your visit to the Villa Borghese park with the Galleria Borghese (purchase tickets in advance as there is timed admission, closed Mondays) as well as explore the Spanish Steps area, Via Margutta, and Piazza del Popolo. As for shopping malls, you are not going to find large malls in the historic center -- a small and lovely one is http://www.galleriaalbertosordi.it near Piazza Colonna.

As for "old places and palaces," there are way to many to go through, starting with, of course, the Colosseum. The ticket is combined with the Roman Forum and the Palatine Hill, the latter being a lovely green place where your daughter could play a bit and where there's some shade. If you do a search you'll find quite a few threads on activities in Rome with children. I would be concerned taking her to large museums like the Vatican Museums, which are enormous and get very, very packed in the summer. You may be better off doing smaller and/or less crowded museums (a few of which are also palaces which you might like) such as Villa Farnesina. I'd do some research on places that interest you, and come up with some ideas, then come back to this TA Forum. Hope this helps to get you started!

4. Re: coming to Rome in the summer

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 October 2014, 05:18