We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Claiming Tax Refund at Term 3 but Flight at Term 1

Rome, Italy
1 post
Save Topic
Claiming Tax Refund at Term 3 but Flight at Term 1

Hello,

I have several tax refunds to claim from Global Blue Tax Free & Premier Tax Free and it seems like all Refund Points are located at Terminal 3. Unfortunately, my flight departs from Terminal 1 and as such, I wanted to know if it is possible to receive boarding tickets, check-in at Terminal 1, and then navigate to Terminal 3 within the "checked-in" zone.

Thank you

@
Level Contributor
331 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Claiming Tax Refund at Term 3 but Flight at Term 1

Do you have flight to non-EU area from terminal 1?

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
41 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Claiming Tax Refund at Term 3 but Flight at Term 1

The tax refund 'packet' should tell you where each refund place is. We had a US based flight and had to go thru Terminal 5 in order to get there. We did the refund BEFORE security but AFTER check-in.

They have to check your things at the refund place, plus they make you go to Customs for a stamp first so I assume that you will have to do all of this before security and before being within the actual terminal. Makes sense considering some people have these items in their checked bag.

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,719 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Claiming Tax Refund at Term 3 but Flight at Term 1

Since no flights to destinations outside the EU depart from Terminal 1, I assume you'll be transiting through another airport within the EU. This means you should get your customs stamp at that airport, or the last airport in the EU that you'll pass through. Remember that you can't put your purchased items in your carryon luggage in this case, because the customs officials have to check your purchases to make sure they're new and unused.

I've heard that if you have a short transit time at the second airport, you can sometimes get your customs stamps at the previous airport, but I have no direct experience to back this up.

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
32,960 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Claiming Tax Refund at Term 3 but Flight at Term 1

If you are travelling to another EU member state and will be leaving the airport there, you can't get your documents stamped in Rome.

However, if you have a through ticket to a destination outside the EU, even transiting at another EU airport, it should be possible to get the customs stamp in Rome, because you can show a ticket (and even boarding card if you have already checked luggage) to a final destination outside the EU, for the same date. It is by no means certain that you could access a customs office at the transit airport, because you will not be going to baggage reclaim and VAT refund offices are often "landside", rather than airside. Also, you would have to get the stamp in Rome if you want to put the items concerned in luggage you are going to check, after you have shown them to Customs to the final destination, and not the transit airport (assuming that this IS a transit situation). If you don't do so, you will of course have to travel with them in your hand luggage and hope you can get to a VAT refund office at your transit airport!

The problem is that if the VAT refund office you need is beyond immigration in T3, I don't see how you can get into T3 "airside" if you don't have a boarding pass for a flight from that terminal (for people's experiences with VAT refund in T3 see http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187791-i22-k5447765-VAT_Refund-Rome_Lazio.html); but if you can, you would follow the transit signs to get to T1 from there, see tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187791-i22-k66707…

It seems to me you would need to allow at least 1 extra hour for all this, if not 2.

Abu Dhabi, United...
Level Contributor
28 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Claiming Tax Refund at Term 3 but Flight at Term 1

Hi The_Antiquus,

How did you finally reclaim your VAT? Could you share with me? I will take flight from Rome to Abu Dhabi at Terminal 1, we transit in Amsterdam. So it will be similar to your flight. Is there no tax refund office in Terminal 1?

I travel with my small kids and the flight time is 6.20am in July. Do you think I had to wake up at 2am packing my luggage and leaving up to 4 hrs before the flight. I start worrying that I can't make my VAT refund. And i will shop mostly in Paris which is my first travel city before Rome.

Looking for your information

Thank you

Edited: 11 June 2014, 09:49
6. Re: Claiming Tax Refund at Term 3 but Flight at Term 1

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 June 2015, 07:16