We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

10 Days in Italy

Singapore
Level Contributor
40 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
10 Days in Italy

My husband and I would be spending10 days in Italy in April/May 2014. We are thinking whether we should fly into Rome, spend perhaps 8 days there, then go to Milan for 2 days and fly out from Milan.

I have read the older threads that there is nothing much to do in Milan. But I thought perhaps we can rent a car and drive to Lake Como from there. Or does anyone do a day trip to Milan / Lake Como from Rome?

Alternatively, we can do a 3 day Rome, 4 days Florence/Tuscany, then 3 days Rome.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Perth, Western...
Level Contributor
217 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 10 Days in Italy

I would do less days in Rome, and see something else like Venice - my favorite place to visit, so unique, or Florence, or Sorrento and the Amalfi coast. All easily accessible by train. We didn't visit Milan, so I can't comment on going there.

Dearborn, Michigan
Level Contributor
1,352 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 10 Days in Italy

IHMO, I would skip Milan. You could take the train and stay four days in Florence with a day trip to Sienna, Pisa or Lucca... Or even base yourself in Lucca. if you are an art lover, florence is a must. Or take 4 days in rome, and rent a car, and drive thru umbria and tuscany for 5 days then a final night in Rome. I've not been to lake Como, but I've heard its beautiful. There are just so many options! Get a good guide book and decide which places most interest you.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
41 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 10 Days in Italy

My husband and I just got back from 2 weeks in Italy. We spent 6 days in Rome, 2 days on Capri and 4 days in Positano. I would say do your research on the weather conditions on the places you want to see before committing to any one place. You are going at a different time of year, this is true, however you are going at the start of the tourist season and the start of summer. Capri and Positano might be good places for you to visit if you like the beach/water, etc.

We were glad to have had 6 days in Rome although a lot of people say that was a few too many days. My main point for our trip was relaxation. We didn't want to treat Rome/Italy, etc. like Disneyland running all about trying to see every inch in just 6 short days. How stupid and how un-fun would that have been? If you want a memorable but relaxing vacation stick to your 6 days (3 separated) schedule. Florence/Tuscany I have heard is a must see but then I have heard that there was nothing much to do there. Research Research Research. See what strikes you. If you are a get up and go kind of person spend more time in Rome. If you are a laid back person who would love to look at art and sip wine all afternoon go to Florence. I am not stereotyping but different places have different lifestyles and each person is different so decide now how you want your vacation to be and decide what kind of vacationers are you (yes there is a difference) and go from there on your research. Good luck

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,719 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 10 Days in Italy

Some people would say there's lots to do in Milan; we found five days all too short. It depends on the interests of the people. I also would never say eight days are too many for Rome without knowing the interests of the people involved.

I would ignore all advice telling you to go to one place rather than another, and instead tell us what sorts of things interest you. Then we can give you some useful advice.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
54,047 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 10 Days in Italy

Each of us travel at a different pace. Hopefully, you know the sort of traveler you are and allow sufficient days for your visit accordingly.

If you are a first-timer, Rome, Florence and Tuscany together make a popular route. Perhaps you can spend around 4 days in Rome, 2 days in Florence, then the rest in Tuscany, especially if you drive.

Roma
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
12,128 posts
611 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 10 Days in Italy

"I would ignore all advice telling you to go to one place rather than another, and instead tell us what sorts of things interest you. Then we can give you some useful advice."

I totally agree. Making the usual list of the most popular places adding the usual banal formulas ("Florence is art", "Venice is romantic", blah blabety blah) wouldn't help you. The best thing to do in cases like yours is looking for real and complete information, helping with a good guidebook. So you can become able to build your own itinerary basing on what you have known. Always noticing that 10 days are not so many, and that your itinerary should be realistic, with a adequate time to spend in each place.

Anyway, considering that you have to fly from Milan, I would take advantage to see Milan, at least a little. Matter of practicality.

Amelia Island...
Level Contributor
906 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 10 Days in Italy

This past May we were in central Italy at the end of our 30-day vacation. We visited Florence (3 days), the Tuscan countryside (5 days), Orvieto (2 days) and ended up in Rome (2 days) for our flight home. The weather was rainy and cool for about half of this itinerary. Florence seemed crowded, packed with street merchants selling junk and a bit dirty in the popular tourist areas. We took the Secret Passages tour (awesome – great prep for Dan Brown’s Inferno), visited the Medici Princes’ Chapel and spent time in the Central Market as it opened one morning. If you are into Italian food, don’t miss it. We then traveled to central Tuscany, staying in an agritourismo outside Montepulciano and then on lovely Pienza (our favorite Tuscan town). A rental car is a must. The smaller hilltop towns (Montalcino, San Quirico) are so interesting and the people and restaurants are awesome. Our final stop before Rome was Orvieto. It is best enjoyed after dark when the day-trippers have left. Arguably the most impressive duomo we saw and the main square is pedestrian-friendly and spotless. We took the Underground Tour of the Etruscan caves one afternoon - great guide and lots of information. The many shops and eateries make for an entertaining afternoon. We can recommend Typical Trattoria Etrusca, just off the main square. It all comes down to your preferences. TripAdvisor is the tool we used to plan our trip and we were not disappointed. Good Luck!

Dearborn, Michigan
Level Contributor
1,352 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 10 Days in Italy

"I would ignore all advice telling you to go to one place rather than another"

This is a travel forum! People should be encouraged to express their opinions! And when posing questions, the poster realizes people are expressing their opinions.

Just because we are all not experts does not invalidate our opinions. And yes, if you love art, do visit Florence. They have some wonderful collections!

Latina, Italy
Level Contributor
1,773 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: 10 Days in Italy

I tend to agree with Bobbi on this one. And after all the OP - like many other posters - is asking for advice on where to go.

<<I have read the older threads that there is nothing much to do in Milan>> Just for a start there is the Cathedral (Duomo), the Sforza Castle, the Galleria Vittorio Emanuele, the Last Supper, The Brera Art Gallery.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
41,413 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: 10 Days in Italy

I don't care for Milan but if you go and have any interest in opera, a visit to the museum at La Scala would probably be of interest if not attending an opera itself.