We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

water

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
62 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
water

just wondering if it is safe to drink the water out of fountains and faucets?

Dearborn, Michigan
Level Contributor
1,390 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: water

Yes! But you may prefer bottled water

Rome, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
6,355 posts
675 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: water

Actually, the water from the many nasoni (big noses) is spring water brought in from outside the city, and it's very good -- although there are different springs that feed different districts (running to various houses, fountains, and nasoni in that particular area -- our house gets the same spring water as flows through the Trevi Fountain). Before indoor plumbing, Romans once got all their water from the little fountains. There were debates about certain springs being better for cooking pasta versus cooking vegetables so people would go to different places in the city to get different water. The only time the water is not good to drink is in certain fountains (there are only a few) that say "non potabile" (not drinkable).

Mentioned in this post
Trevi Fountain
Trevi Fountain
78,483 Reviews
Rome, Italy
Passo Corese, Italy
Level Contributor
1,509 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: water

Yes, absolutely - it's often way better than bottled water. By the way, make sure you drink the water flowing out from the cast-iron "nasoni" (as explained above) or from other little stone fountains - which are very often of some artistical value, too; however, pay attention to signs reading "non potabile" (non-drinkable water).

This goes without saying that you shouldn't drink the water from the bigger ones like the Trevi fountain (as their basins are obviously dirty).

Edited: 22 October 2013, 08:03
Mentioned in this post
Trevi Fountain
Trevi Fountain
78,483 Reviews
Rome, Italy
Dearborn, Michigan
Level Contributor
1,390 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: water

The water that came from the faucet in my apartment tasted fine, but had a lot of sediments in it...you could see this chalky film even after washing dishes. As I said, it tasted fine, and was completely safe, but I just preferred to drink bottled water. As restaurants, we drank bottled water as did most people, but it really was not necessary. So it's totally up to you.

At the little grocery store a six pack of bottled water was only abou 1.50€,

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,725 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: water

Rome has one of the best city waters in the world. (Another city with excellent water is New York City.) Almost all of Italy has a lot of lime and minerals in the soil and water, which might explain the chalky sediment noticed by Bobbi. It should be great for your bones and teeth! However, the water is still excellent.

Mentioned in this post
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
York
York
North Yorkshire, UK
Italy
Italy
Europe
rome
Level Contributor
2,262 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: water

the limescale in the water is harmless for short stays and healthy people. It is otherwise micro-biologically the purest water. but I for example have chronic kidney issues (from childhood) and live here, so doctors have recommended I do not drink the water habitually.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
62 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: water

thank you all my husband and I both have stomach issues and have gotten sick several places drinking the water that is why I ask

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,725 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: water

I've never heard of anyone getting a stomach bug from drinking the water in Rome, if that's what's worrying you. If you're concerned about the balance of minerals in the water, I can't give you any advice. People with very delicate stomachs can have problems even from drinking a different brand of bottled water from what they're used to. There are some bottled waters in Italy that have a low content of sodium and other minerals. I drink Roana at home for its low sodium content. It does have a fairly high calcium content, though, and I don't think it's available nationally. Maybe wine_gal can advise you. I would think that the lower the mineral content, the better, in your case.

Mentioned in this post
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Italy
Italy
Europe
Dearborn, Michigan
Level Contributor
1,390 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: water

I have to wonder, in several restaurants when requesting "still" water, we were brought carafes of water, or decanters... I was billed for the water, but wonder if it was just tap water????

Latina, Italy
Level Contributor
1,773 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: water

Yes Bobbi, some now pass tap water through a filter machine and call it mineral water. Might have been that.