We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Fumiciano the worst airport in the world?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
41 posts
204 reviews
Save Topic
Is Fumiciano the worst airport in the world?

I arrived on time Monday 30th September 2013 on Jet2Com from Manchester. Never having been there before I did not know which of the two queues to join, and it took over an hour to turn the corner and begin to first see the Immigration control signs ahead. At this stage the queues had broken into maybe ten, and ahead I could see a fixed sign saying "All Passports" which conflicted with the flashing neon signs indicating EU or non-Eu passport.

Having invested that hour none of us were willing to change queues, and a quick survey around me indicated, as expected, that we were all mixed up. After an hour and a half I reached the front of my non-EU queue, holding my EU passport.

To my left was another identical queue, when a little uniformed man announced that in that queue they would no longer make any exceptions, and the protests that some had been there 2 hours were of no avail. They had to go to the back again. I was lucky, and got through, but I could not understand how one little man could take so long to do nothing with my EU passport. He just took for ever.

When I arrived in the baggage area it was hard to find what carousel had been allocated, and eventually I found the very last one had about 15 flights on it, and appeared to be a sort of last resort place. After ten minutes not seeing my baggage, a fellow traveller told me there were a whole lot of bags off the carousel and sitting on the ground out of site and behind. There I found one case. The other turned up eventually on the carousel. Two hours plus I emerged.

I rate this the very worst experience of my travelling life, worse than the worst that Africa can show you. This cannot be the normal experience yet the harassed shuttle operator indicated it was typical. If it were possible to fly to Rome some other way, I would highly recommend it.

Mentioned in this post
Manchester
Manchester
Greater Manchester, UK
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Opera in Roma
Performances, Ballets, Concerts, Operas
RomeConcerts
Concerts, Operas, Performances
Latina, Italy
Level Contributor
1,773 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Is Fumiciano the worst airport in the world?

It won't be any better when leaving if this thread is anything to go by:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187791-i22-k69304…

tucson, az
Level Contributor
4,171 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is Fumiciano the worst airport in the world?

We got through FCO last year with very little problem except the looooooooong walk to the luggage carousel. At one point we actually thought we must have missed it and were ready to turn back. At passport control we lucked into a line that moved like lightning. All anyone did was hold up the opened passport next to their face and the guy waved you right through. He could have been a Disney animatronic because all he did was gesture you forward.

Mentioned in this post
Fiumicino Airport
Fiumicino Airport
Fiumicino, Italy
Disneyland Paris
Disneyland Paris
Seine-et-Marne, France
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
92,688 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is Fumiciano the worst airport in the world?

>> All anyone did was hold up the opened passport next to their face and the guy waved you right through.<<

This could have caused you problems if you left Europe from a country that cares about the time limits for tourists. Always insist on getting your passport stamped as you enter the Schengen area.

Mentioned in this post
Europe
Europe
World
tucson, az
Level Contributor
4,171 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is Fumiciano the worst airport in the world?

We left from Malpensa. Dunno if Italy is picky or not but I'll remember to insist on a stamp assuming I ever go again.

Mentioned in this post
Malpensa Airport
Malpensa Airport
Ferno, Italy
Italy
Italy
Europe
Montelparo, Italy
Level Contributor
2,458 posts
469 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is Fumiciano the worst airport in the world?

If you had travelled once through Mahe`, Nairobi or even Hong Kong, would have not placed the question.

Taylorsville, Utah
Level Contributor
1,242 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Is Fumiciano the worst airport in the world?

Try CDG in Paris

Mentioned in this post
Charles De Gaulle Airport
Charles De Gaulle Airport
Roissy-en-France, France
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
New South Wales...
Destination Expert
for Pompeii, Herculaneum, Naples
Level Contributor
9,059 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is Fumiciano the worst airport in the world?

Of course it's not !

You were just there at a bad time with multiple flights landing. Same as any large airport - ditto the lack of communication.

I've landed at FCO three times in the last 12 months - from Sydney - and the most I waited to get through immigration was 15 minutes and to pick up my bag - another 15 min every time.

Sorry this was your bad experience but it's not always like that.

Mentioned in this post
Fiumicino Airport
Fiumicino Airport
Fiumicino, Italy
Alexandria, VA
Level Contributor
599 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is Fumiciano the worst airport in the world?

Madrid.

Or, sometimes, Dulles in Washington, DC.

Mentioned in this post
Madrid
Madrid
Community of Madrid, Spain
London, Canada
Level Contributor
2,363 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is Fumiciano the worst airport in the world?

We were there two weeks ago. We got there FOUR hours in advance. The lineups through security were huge. We almost missed the flight. I will NEVER fly in or out of there ever again.

san diego...
Level Contributor
597 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is Fumiciano the worst airport in the world?

I really dislike Heathrow personally. Very bad experiences and sadly have to go through there on the way to and from Italy. BAH!

Mentioned in this post
Italy
Italy
Europe