We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vacation Rental payment - red flag?

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
363 posts
Save Topic
Vacation Rental payment - red flag?

Hi

I am looking at booking an apartment in Rome for a two night stay in August 2014. Repsonse from the owner has been wonderful but they are asking for full payment now, at time of booking (ten months early!) by PayPal...

Is this common or a red flag?

Reno, Nevada
Level Contributor
1,798 posts
261 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vacation Rental payment - red flag?

Red Flag or Not, my answer to 100% would be a flat NO.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
3,082 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Vacation Rental payment - red flag?

There's no way on heaven or earth that I would do full payment in advance for a booking that's ten months away. Much more common is some sort of deposit, with a cancellation procedure in place.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
39,534 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Vacation Rental payment - red flag?

May be totally legit but I'd never do it. I would only book somewhere that accepts credit cards - I want that protection.

A lot of rentals in Italy request partial payment when booking and the remainder in cash upon arrival.

Are there valid reviews for this place?

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
10,441 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Vacation Rental payment - red flag?

Is it with Airbnb? I ask because that is the system they use, if it is then we have done it but I wouldn't with an agency I knew nothing about or just with an owner.

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
363 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Vacation Rental payment - red flag?

Its through VRBO and lots of good reviews. I think I may just walk away from it... Too bad, looked good.

Any recomendations for 1 bedroom rentals in Navona or Pantheon area?

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
24,083 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Vacation Rental payment - red flag?

I have rented now 67 times internationally -- it is common to pay half on reservation and the remainder 60 days before arrival; it is also common to pay 50% in advance on reservation and then the rest on arrival. I have never paid 100% that far in advance. I also think a two day apartment rental is generally a bad idea for everyone -- landlord and client. It is a lot of work to ready an apartment for so short a stay -- usually short term rents involve a special cleaning fee. And with only one day in the apartment, it doesn't really pay to stock up on kitchen items etc.

We had a couple two night rentals this spring and have decided to use hotels for short stops now -- we normally rent from a week to a couple of months.

It is possible to negotiate with an owner on VRBO -- you could say "I love the place, but I don't make full payment this far out, would you consider 50% now and 50% on arrival' and see what you get.

7. Re: Vacation Rental payment - red flag?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 October 2014, 04:19