We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Does anyone know the difference?

Gore, New Zealand
Level Contributor
324 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Does anyone know the difference?

Between the guidebooks by lonely planet? The "discover" series vs the original?

I must say, I was a little disappointed this week when I bought two of the lonely planet discover guides. Discover Rome seems to appear a little " light" on info in comparison to lonely planet guides I have seen in the past. ( sadly my book store only had the discover in stock)

Was gong to buy something meatier if possible.....on the kindle. How do the Rick Steves ( is that the right guy? ) guides compare to the LP ones? I really was hoping to get a guide with lots of different things in it.....not just the major tourist attractions.... Which is what the one I bought seems to have. What author do you use?

Umbria, Italy
Destination Expert
for Sunshine Coast, Umbria
Level Contributor
4,540 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Does anyone know the difference?

.....better to use the net far more productive.

Blogs ....Info sites etc

Australia
Destination Expert
for Pompeii, Herculaneum, Naples
Level Contributor
8,699 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Does anyone know the difference?

I prefer books - the Blue Guides are great for history and architecture, the original LP series have a wealth of info especially good for budget hotels. I also use the DK Eyewitness series for their great cutaways and photos especially if I haven't been to a place before.

Gore, New Zealand
Level Contributor
324 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Does anyone know the difference?

These would be the first "books" I have bought in a couple of years.......just thought it would be easier to flick through and place a post it note on the must do places, so we can create our itinerary.

Do any give you an idea how long you need to set aside for a particular attraction? I find that the sites for particular attractions tend to be not that accurate. ( I guess the want people to spend more time....or want to be seen as a place worth spending lots of time at if you know what I mean)

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
86,962 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Does anyone know the difference?

The problem with using the Internet is that it does not provide answers to questions that you do not think to ask.

Rick Steves aims his books at Americans travelling for the first time. He is enthusiastic, but provides information on a limited number of places that have caught his attention, and sometimes gets his facts wrong. His guides remind me of how a book written by a cocker spaniel might be.

The Eyewitness guides are very pretty but, because they give so much space to pictures and do not have all that many pages, I find them rather light on useful information, and many minor but interesting sights are not covered.

I like Lonely Planet guides, as they have lots of good, solid information. You can get hold of the proper Lonely Planet guide to Italy in about a week for around $29 NZ (incl postage) from www.bookdepository.co.uk

Gore, New Zealand
Level Contributor
324 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Does anyone know the difference?

Thanks

Reading UK
Level Contributor
111 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Does anyone know the difference?

If you want high quality detailed information rather than pretty pictures I recommend the Michelin Green Guide to Rome.

I got mine from Amazon as I couldn't find it in my local bookshops. Its also got good maps, and is light enough to carry around.

Reading UK
Level Contributor
111 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Does anyone know the difference?

If you want high quality detailed information rather than pretty pictures I recommend the Michelin Green Guide to Rome.

I got mine from Amazon as I couldn't find it in my local bookshops. Its also got good maps, and is light enough to carry around.

Sorry, on my phone and double posted for some reason!

Edited: 26 October 2013, 11:15
Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
32,583 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Does anyone know the difference?

LP tell you themselves about the differences between their various different types of guide on their own website: http://shop.lonelyplanet.com/guide-types

The fact that the "discover" series is for travellers "with limited time" and focuses on"highlights", "must-sees" and "best ofs" already tells you that it is going to be somewhat superficial. It caters for the many people who ask on here how to "do" a given city in 1 or 2 days, or what other people think are "must-sees", or recommend as the top-X things to do.

If only going to Rome, the LP City Guide is going to be by far the most complete of those they offer; otherwise, the "country" guide. And when you already know a city fairly well, you may need to look for a book with a title like "City Secrets or "Secret Rome" (I'm not thinking of a specific book, although I know of a few, but the sort of title that will indicate that it covers different territory from the standard guidebooks).

Rick Steves writes for N. Americans and in my personal opinion, is for first timers to the place covered. However RS too has different levels of guides, e.g. the snapshot range which seems to be aimed at cruise passengers or others who similarly drop in as if from outer space and have only limited time to see "the sights".

Personally I compare guidebooks by browsing in physical bookshops, choosing one monument to compare how much information each guide gives me on that. Also, I pay particular attention to how much information there is on public transport, and whether this is incorporated into the maps and information on each "sight"/area (even if I also supplement this with information from the internet/in app form). And a most important factor is to check the date of publication: this whether physical book, e-book or even internet website, many of which (usually excluding the city transport ones) are not kept up-to-date!

Gore, New Zealand
Level Contributor
324 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Does anyone know the difference?

Thanks everyone. Sadly in my area LP is the only guidebook available in print.

We are not able to even but the Michelin guide from amazon for some dumb reason .

I wish I had seen the description of the. "Discover" series before I made the purchase. It will be of some value I guess.

Just received a Paris book by Rick Steve's in the post. I think from the brief look , it's much better than the discover series. But I am finding he's very annoying!

Will see if I can buy one of the others from book depository I guess

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
41,036 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Does anyone know the difference?

I'm a Michelin Green guide kinda traveler too - excellent; sorry you can't get them there - bizarre that you can't buy them from Amazon.

As a supplement, there is a wonderful little book (that easily slips into a pocket) called "City Secrets: Rome" - I bought the first edition more than 10 years ago and then the new edition last year. It - well, you can see what it has - here:

www.fangduffkahn.com/books/city-secrets-rome

on Amazon:

amazon.com/City-Secrets-Rome-Essential-Insid…

This would not be the primary guidebook but a wonderful, insightful supplement - I never walk out without it when I'm there even though I've been to Rome many times - there are just some wonderful bits in it.