We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Six days from Rome to Bari - need suggestions/advice

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
438 posts
387 reviews
Save Topic
Six days from Rome to Bari - need suggestions/advice

My husband & I are going to spend about 25 days in Europe April 2014. Our daughter is going to be studying in the UK Jan-July so we have invited her to join us for two weeks of that time, during her Spring break. The rough plan right now (here's where we need advice!) is to meet-up in Rome, drive down the Amalfi Coast - see Pompeii - then across to Bari where we'll pick up a cruise to Greece, Turkey, Croatia, getting off in Venice, spending a couple nights there, before she flies back to the UK. This is HER request - not our travel style. She wants to see Italy (two years ago my husband & I spent three weeks in the northern part of Italy so we're choosing the southern part for us) and she likes the idea of a cruise that will introduce her to Greece, Turkey, Croatia.BIG QUESTION: arriving in Rome on a Saturday around 1 p.m. and leaving from Bari around 4 p.m. on the following Sunday - how would you spend those 7-8 days? Thanks for any suggestions!

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,409 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Six days from Rome to Bari - need suggestions/advice

I think that between Rome, Naples, Pompeii, and the Amalfi Coast, you have more than enough to fill a week. The drive from the Amalfi area to Bari is fairly short, and passes through a very sparsely populated zone. With a very short detour, you could visit Castel del Monte, built in the 9th century by the Holy Roman Emperor Frederick II. This is one of the most beautiful medieval buildings I've seen, very simple but elegant, and different from any medieval building you may already know. When we were there, we had to park our car and take a shuttle bus up to the castle; there was a bit of a wait for our turn, but it's definitely worth it.

I would on leaving the Amalfi area early in the day so that you arrive in Bari in time to see some of the sights of the city that day and the next, before the cruise leaves. There is a beautiful cathedral of Saint Nicholas (yes, the Santa Claus one) and there is also a castle, which couldn't be visited when we were there.

I myself would not want the car until leaving the Amalfi coast. Before that, it will be a nuisance. Remember that you will need an International Drivers Permit to drive in Italy. You should be able to get one easily and cheaply from your Automobile Association.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
438 posts
387 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Six days from Rome to Bari - need suggestions/advice

Thanks for those great suggestions! Yea, I had an Intl license when I spent 3 wks driving around northern Italy a couple years ago. Will note your suggestions & do some research on them!

Florence, Italy
Level Contributor
3,858 posts
736 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Six days from Rome to Bari - need suggestions/advice

On the route between Castel del Monte (see bvlenci's post) and Bari, I'd recommend not to leave out some of the Apulian seaside towns that retain scenic Romanesque cathedrals, in the memory of the Middle Ages, when they were flourishing ports on the Adriatic sea. First I would like to mention Barletta and Trani.

That said, remember that we are talking about not very small towns, which can cause problems for car driving and parking.

This applies a fortiori to Bari.

Brun066

4. Re: Six days from Rome to Bari - need suggestions/advice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 October 2014, 05:21