We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trip to Capri or Amalfi from Rome in December 2013

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Gurgaon
6 posts
Save Topic
Day trip to Capri or Amalfi from Rome in December 2013

Hi,

I will be travelling to Italy from India in the first week of december 2013 and would like to do a day trip from Rome to Capri or Amalfi.

I know one day will not be enough for either of the 2 locations but I will still have to do this trip as I am unlikely to get many vacations due to my work schedule.

Just wanted to know, what could the itenary if I have to take up this trip. I can see day tours on viator but would like to do this trip by train.

Regards

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
39,086 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Day trip to Capri or Amalfi from Rome in December 2013

Fast train from Rome to Naples (70 minutes) then a ferry from the port to Capri: www.capri.net (also has the boat schedules)

To the AC - it takes longer and it is more of a hassle to reach - same train to Naples, then a local (Circumvesuviana) to Sorrento, then SITA bus to the Amalfi Coast.

For just a day, I'd choose Capri - even though it will be cool/cold, there is much to explore on the island - ancient sites, wonderful walks/hikes, the small village centers - really lovely.

www.trenitalia.com for train to Naples -

The Circumvesuviana runs about every 30 minutes or so - makes many stops because it services the local people.

Gurgaon
6 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Day trip to Capri or Amalfi from Rome in December 2013

Thanks a lot MomCat...I am booking my train tickets online in advance...Wanted to check, what will be good train time for diparture and return in December 1st week. Its my first trip to europe so I have no idea of sunset, cold etc

Can I book train from Rome to Naples at 9: AM morning and return from Naples to Rome at 7-8 in the evening for a trip to Capri ?

Edited: 28 October 2013, 15:05
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
39,086 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Day trip to Capri or Amalfi from Rome in December 2013

Personally, I would not book a ticket in advance - what if it is a bad, rainy day? That is not the destination you would want to go to - for your just one day - in bad weather. If you were to buy one of the discounted fares now, you would not have the chance to change it or get refund if you woke up that day to a storm (not unheard of in December).

I would go as early in the day as possible at it gets dark earlier in the day at that time of year and I would want to have as much daylight there as possible. Check the boat schedules close to the date you want to go so you can best coordinate your train time to boat times.

You can google info as to daylight hours during the month of December

4. Re: Day trip to Capri or Amalfi from Rome in December 2013

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 October 2014, 04:18