We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

8 day Itinerary... any thoughts?

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Topic
8 day Itinerary... any thoughts?

Hi all,

We are in Rome for 8 days in November and were wondering if anyone could give us some input as to whether our itinerary sounds reasonable. I've found with a lot of my travelling that I try to cram too much in!

13th Nov : Colloseum/Palatino/Foum, Capitoline Museums & Trajan's Forum/market

14th Nov: Ostia Antica (does this need a whole day?)

15th Nov: Hadrian's Villa (whole day again?)

16th Nov: The vatican

17th Nov: Free day (ie shopping for the wife & other free things ie spanish steps) & Dinner at Michelin star restaurant (TBA.. any suggestions?)

18th Nov: Pompeii (day trip... )

19th Nov: Free day (last day so thought to leave it free in case we decide we want to see something else) & opera at night.

Thanks in advance for all your help!!

Regards,

Greg

Mentioned in this post
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Pompeii
Pompeii
Province of Naples, Italy
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
43,598 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: 8 day Itinerary... any thoughts?

You have barely mentioned anything in Rome - but I imagine you will be sussing out your choices from your guidebook.

How long you spend on your day trips is up to you - some people do sites in much less time than others.

When you say the "vatican" - I assume you mean the Vatican Museums (which includes the Sistine Chapel) and the basilica? I don't think that takes an entire day but, again, I suppose it could.

In your barely there portion of treasures to see in Rome, please do add in the Pantheon with whatever else you choose.

Mentioned in this post
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Vatican Museums
Vatican Museums
31,198 Reviews
Vatican City, Italy
Sistine Chapel
Sistine Chapel
16,172 Reviews
Vatican City, Italy
Pantheon
Pantheon
64,024 Reviews
Rome, Italy
Rome
Level Contributor
111 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: 8 day Itinerary... any thoughts?

I think that 3 day trip out of 8 days between 2 intercontinental flights are, may be, too much.

Ostia antica and Pompei are similiar, the first one is only 45 minutes out of the city by urban train (here you can use the common BIT ticket -1.5 € each way) the latter is surely bigger and probably better but it's not so close and cheap.

I suggest you to read more about them in order to evaluate better if you want to do both of them.

Rome is an incredible city and you can surely find plenty of things (eg. Borghese gallery, Palazzo Massimo museum of roman history, bath of Caracalla or Diocleziano, ...) you can do without travelling back and forth.

Anyway, hope you'll enjoy your stay here in Rome.

Mentioned in this post
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Hotel Diocleziano
Hotel Diocleziano
2,380 Reviews
Rome, Italy
Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,725 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 8 day Itinerary... any thoughts?

Actually, the Ostia Antica site (50 hectares) is slightly larger than Pompeii (44 hectares). Which is better depends on your interests. Ostia Antica covers a far longer period of ancient history than Pompeii, but most of its art was carted away to the Vatican. It has many well-preserved buildings. Pompeii existed for only about a century, so it gives more of a point-in-time view. For someone very interested in ancient history, both would be important sites to see. For someone visiting Rome, who would just like to see an ancient city, I think Ostia Antica would be ideal.

Mentioned in this post
Pompeii
Pompeii
Province of Naples, Italy
Vatican
Vatican
240 Reviews
Rome, Italy
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
4. Re: 8 day Itinerary... any thoughts?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 November 2014, 04:17