We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just offering a few good tips

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Dearborn, Michigan
Level Contributor
1,350 posts
136 reviews
Save Topic
Just offering a few good tips

A friend of my, just leaving for rome, asked if I'd give her a few good tips, as I just returned . Thought I would share my experiences on TA

1. Take a good guide book if you have room in your luggage

2. Buy a small international data plan for your smart phone and down load google translate. Though most people speak English, I found it very useful when there was a language barrier.

3. Down load citymaps2go. It gives u gps without using data. Google maps works too, but sometimes I'd lose the map...having gps will save you so much time!

4. Take an umbrella. It seems to be sunny most mornings, but clouds up in the afternoon.

5. Bring a recyclable shopping bag. I used it to carry my umbrella, rolled up rain coat, groceries, and gifts. Grocery stores charge for plastic bags. And the recyclable fabric bags are really lightweight.

6. If you use sugar substitutes,, bring some packets with in your purse.

7. Bring Tylenol and tums. I had a hard time finding them.

8. Be sure to buy tickets in advance for the attractions. Otherwise face huge lines...

7. If your there for a while and will using public transportation... Get a pass of some kind. IMO, even if you spend a bit more for a pass, it is just so convenient! Worth the extra for the time it saved me.

8. Don't tip! You don't have to and it's not expected. As was recommended on this site, I did not tip at all. I still was thanked, and never made to feel bad about it!

9. Tap water and fountain water is totally safe to drink.

10. Pay with euros if possible to avoid hidden fees.

11. There is an ATM at FCO when you are near the exit to the street. It's against the wall in the lobby area

12. When waiting in line for a cab, don't let anyone steer you away. Stay in line...

13. Don't be alarmed if it seems the cab driver is taking you for a ride. Due to all the pedestrian zones and traffic, it may appear he is going out of your way. But mostly he is not. Ask before you get in, how much he thinks it will be.

14. The city looks bigger on the map then it is. Providing you don't get lost, and either have gps or a good sense of direction and are in good physical shape.., you can walk almost anywhere. I even walked to St. Paul's outside the wall! If not, don't let the busses and trams intimadate you. They are very easy to use. Just hold your purse close to you.

Hope this helps someone!!!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
39,098 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Just offering a few good tips

Good info!

I would add - however, that you find the space for a guidebook; sites won't have much meaning without one - though if you have an E-Reader, you could have your guidebook on that (I don't like it on my Kindle but if that is the only way you can find room, I would do that)

I'd also add: over the counter cold medicine and Imodium to helpful items to have on hand, just in case.

It all does look bigger on a map - mysterious thing, really - and, walking just provides so many wonderful, unexpected surprises along the way.

Missing Rome Bobbi?

Dearborn, Michigan
Level Contributor
1,350 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Just offering a few good tips

You know I am, momcat!

Dallas
Level Contributor
1,395 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Just offering a few good tips

Great advice Bobbi! Also I'd like to suggest purchasing a Roma pass if in Rome- I bought on last month and got to get in the fast lane at the Coliseum plus unlimited transportation-- no searching for Euros every time you got on a bus.

Australia
Destination Expert
for Pompeii, Herculaneum, Naples
Level Contributor
8,411 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Just offering a few good tips

Bobbi this is good - I would add if you don't have room for your chunky guide book, then rip out the essential pages for the places you're visiting.

I love how my Lonely Planet Italy guide book looks now - all sticky taped, highlighted, post-it noted and ripped pages duly replaced after my return.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
265 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Just offering a few good tips

Or if you don't want to rip out the pages, you could photocopy the ones you think you'll need the most!

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Just offering a few good tips

Thanks for taking the time to post your tips it's greatly appreciated.

Nowra, Australia
Level Contributor
3 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Just offering a few good tips

Hi there

I have just started planning a quick trip to Rome and I will be adding your tips to the list that I have collated with tips from friends.

Thanks

Nowra, Australia
Level Contributor
3 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Just offering a few good tips

I am just planning a trip to Rome and will be adding your tips to the list I have been collating with tips from friends.

Thanks

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
1,401 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Just offering a few good tips

I think that it's kind to tip a few euros on a nice meal.

Also, especially if you travel alone, consider going into a pharmacy in Italy (MD not required) and buy a small box of antibiotics for urinary tract infections or respiratory infections--Anything which you are prone to, you recognize the symptoms of immediately and which you know that you have successfully taken antibiotics for previously. Either bring one full course of antibiotics from home and keep it in your travel kit or you can get it from the an Italian pharmacist. I am not dispensing medical advice, just advising what I do while traveling for several weeks at a time and often alone.

Shropshire
Level Contributor
515 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Just offering a few good tips

Cheers for that Bobbi,

We are going for the first time very soon (mid-Dec) and I'm starting to plan our days (and nights) now: all helpful information like yours is duly logged and appreciated.

<*))))))><