We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What is the daily withdrawal limit for ATMs in Rome

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
27 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
What is the daily withdrawal limit for ATMs in Rome

Hi All

I'm off to Rome next year and will be using a prepaid Mastercard. I wos wondering if anybody knows the daily withdrawal limit at ATMs in Rome.

thanks

Kerry

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
83,896 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What is the daily withdrawal limit for ATMs in Rome

An individual ATM may have a limit of €300 to €500 in a single withdrawal. The total daily limit is set by the bank that issued the card.

As discussed in your post in the Paris forum, the pre-paid travel cards sold in Australia are just another way of making more money from travellers. Even your ordinary debit card would give better value.

rome
Level Contributor
2,121 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: What is the daily withdrawal limit for ATMs in Rome

ATMs in Rome, depending on which bank they belong to, have a limit of 250 to 1000 euro limit per transaction. The bigger / more international the bank is, the higher the limit.

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
31,822 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What is the daily withdrawal limit for ATMs in Rome

Basically, there is no "daily" limit set by the ATM's. There is a transaction limit but you are not limited to the number of transactions you can make. Your bank at home will set the amount you can take out per day. You can go to them and request a higher or lower limit. Once in Italy you'll be able to keep making transactions until the limit set by your bank has been reached.

Donna

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,485 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What is the daily withdrawal limit for ATMs in Rome

Not all ATMs will allow you to make multiple transactions if you've already reached their limit.

Waltham...
Level Contributor
259 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What is the daily withdrawal limit for ATMs in Rome

i have never been able to withdraw more than 250 euros a day,and I go every year

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
31,822 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What is the daily withdrawal limit for ATMs in Rome

That is because your bank has put that limit on you. You can go to them and ask them to raise the limit. We can have as much as 1000 a day but choose not to have that much available. Some banks will only allow 500 per day, it depends on the bank and sometimes on they type of account you have.

Donna

L R
Level Contributor
255 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What is the daily withdrawal limit for ATMs in Rome

Two different ATMs today in rome would only allow 250 euro limit. My bank's daily limit is $500 US so I had to go to two different banks to get my daily limit.

Waltham...
Level Contributor
259 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What is the daily withdrawal limit for ATMs in Rome

my banks daily limit is $750 and it does not matter.the atms in Italy will only give me 250 euros daily. one day I tried 8 different bancomats. it is what it is

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
39,086 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: What is the daily withdrawal limit for ATMs in Rome

I have gotten more than 250 euros from some of the ATM machines but that is about the average. If I needed more than that, I would just go to another ATM and withdraw more - you can do withdrawals at a number of ATMs - not just one.

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,485 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What is the daily withdrawal limit for ATMs in Rome

Joseph C says he did try different ATMs and still couldn't get more than 250 euros, although his bank's limit is $750. You're more likely to have success if you make sure the ATMs belong to different banks, but I can't guarantee that. The only surefire way to get more money is to use different cards.