We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train from Venice to Rome

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Wilmington, Delaware
Level Contributor
499 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Train from Venice to Rome

I will be in venice this January 2014 and will be taking the train to Rome. Seems that there are two train companies connecting the two cities. What are the differences between the Italo and trenitalia?

I noticed that the one train goes into the Termini station and the other one to the Tiburtina. I am staying near the Trevi fountain. So would the advantage of a faster train be lost in the cab ride to the hotel?

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
3,571 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Train from Venice to Rome

Trenitalia is the national rail company, and Italo is the private competitor on some of the high-speed train routes. There are some minor differences but the services are comparable, and they are both high-speed. In your case, Trenitalia, which goes to Termini, may be better since you want to end up closer to your hotel.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
83,053 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train from Venice to Rome

Tiburtina is not very much further from the Trevi Fountain, and is smaller and less crowded than Termini, probably with fewer pickpockets.

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,410 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train from Venice to Rome

Tiburtina station is 6 1/2 km from Trevi fountain, whereas Termini station is about 2 1/2 km.

Wilmington, Delaware
Level Contributor
499 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Train from Venice to Rome

I think that I am going to try to get ticket to the termini station. Cab fare will be cheaper. Thanks to all of your helpful responses.

Adelaide
Level Contributor
4,621 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Train from Venice to Rome

Now you're settled on Trenitalia, buy your ticket as far in advance as possible to get the best prices. They go on sale 120 days in advance and are at their cheapest then. Buy from Trenitalia direct.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
227 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Train from Venice to Rome

We are thinking of catching the train from Rome to Venice, staying over 2 nights, then Venice to Florence, stay 1 night and then Florence to Rome. (All by Tain). Would a three journey Eurail pass be better value for us? 2 pax travelling may 2014 cheers

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
83,053 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Train from Venice to Rome

A train pass is almost never worthwhile in Italy. Passes do not include the cost of the seat reservations that are required on all the fast trains, so you still have to make a seat reservation and pay €10 for it. If you book well in advance, you can get tickets for each of your journeys for €19 including the seat reservation.

Trenitalia tickets go on sale 4 months before travel, and the cheapest tickets often sell out quickly. Discounted ticket prices keep going up as the travel date gets closer.

You can get train times and costs from www.trenitalia.com clicking on the UK flag to change to English and using the Italian names for towns, or from the competitor on major routes http://www.italotreno.it/EN . There are notes about online booking at www.nickbooth.id.au/Tips/ItalyTrain.htm

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
227 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Train from Venice to Rome

Thanks nick. I was getting confused by all of this.

Cheers

9. Re: Train from Venice to Rome

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 November 2014, 06:20