We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Archaeologia card question

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
15 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Archaeologia card question

After you buy the card, can you just show it to get entry to each site or do you have to stand in line at the ticket office to get a paper ticket at each place? I realize that the card isn't likely to save me much money but since it's good for a week I thought it might be a good way to spread things out a bit and not get Roman ruins overload.

Ormskirk, United...
Level Contributor
370 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Archaeologia card question

No queuing - it's a skip-the-lines ticket (I bought one this April, at the Baths of Caracalla - spreading the visits out over 7 days was worth it). www.rome.info/museums/cards/

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,719 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Archaeologia card question

It really won't save you much money, even if you visit every single one of the included attractions. I've added it up several times. The National Roman Museum (four sites) can be visited over three days if you buy a ticket to one of the sites. The Baths of Caracalla are included with many of the other sites of the Archaeologia card in the Appia Antica card, which costs about the same as the Baths alone, and this is also good for several days.

This page shows you the costs of the combined tickets I've mentioned:

romapass.it/doc/sitiAderentiCostoBiglietti_e…

The maximum you could save would be €3.50, and you can spread it out even without the card by buying the various tickets at different times. If you don't buy the Archaeologia card, you should probably buy your ticket for the Colosseum online (especially if you're going to Rome in high season) or at the Roman Forum or Palatine Hill. That ticket is good for three consecutive days, but you can visit the Colosseum only once and the Palatine Hill/Roman Forum site only once.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
15,141 posts
288 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Archaeologia card question

Regardless of the money saving issue of this card, is it worth purchasing for skip the line visits during high season. Or would it be best to just get the Roma Pass and decide as we go where to visit?

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,719 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Archaeologia card question

None of the places that are covered by the Archaeologia pass, with the exception of the Colosseum, ever has a ticket line worth worrying about. If you think you'll use the Roma Pass enough to cover its rather high cost (€36), then that is an option. In order to make the Roma Pass pay off, you'd have to go to at least three of the more expensive sites in the three days, and also use public transportation more than once or twice a day.

The cheapest way to avoid the ticket line at the Colosseum is to buy your ticket online through their official ticket sales site:

www.coopculture.it/en/colosseo-e-shop.cfm

You can see the prices of all the museums and archaeological passes here:

romapass.it/doc/sitiAderentiCostoBiglietti_e…

You get the first two visits free; then other visits you can cram into three days will be at the reduced price, so you'll save the difference between full and reduced prices.The value of thepublic transportation portion of the pass depends on how often you'd use public transportation. Single tickets (€1.50) are good for 100 minutes, including transfers; I think the average person would use no more than €9 worth of transportation in three days.

Add it all up and see if it would be worth it for you.

Scranton...
Level Contributor
537 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Archaeologia card question

Just an FYI: "Skipping the line" usually means you wind up using the group entrance. If you wish to rent an audio guide for any particular site, they are often not available at the group entrance. Learned that the hard way last year at the Palatino...I wound up having to exit and queue up on the individual ticket line to rent one (and it was certainly not worth the effort).

Zuke

http://zukini.travellerspoint.com/toc/

6. Re: Archaeologia card question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 May 2015, 05:15