We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pizza tour of Rome (lunch)

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
556 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Pizza tour of Rome (lunch)

Good morning!

To make up for the fact that I had only one pizza in Naples, I want to make my lunches pizza-focused in Rome. More than half of my lunches, anyway.

I know about Da Baffetto, Pizzarium, and Pizza Re (having eaten at Pizza Re twice before).

What others would you recommend? I should probably focus on "where my sightseeing takes me near lunch time". Anything within say a 15 minute walk of my sightseeing is fine.

One day I will be exiting the Colosseum at lunch time.

Another day, the Villa Borghese.

Another day - the Vatican.

The other days are open. My hotel is near the Pantheon.

Lastly, for dinner in general, given that this will be November, how far ahead should I make any resto rez? I doubt I will be going to the latest hot spots - probably places like Armando al Pantheon and that sort. Popular and well known, but not "scene and be seen".

Thank you.

Australia
Destination Expert
for Pompeii, Herculaneum, Naples
Level Contributor
8,148 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pizza tour of Rome (lunch)

Beth - I can't help you with pizza as I save that for Naples but go to this place. Shhh don't tell anyone about it, lol!

tripadvisor.com.au/ShowUserReviews-g187791-d…

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,866 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Pizza tour of Rome (lunch)

many Pizza places, at least the good ones, are only open for dinner.

For lunch you will mostly find pizza al taglio (by weight)

La Montecarlo is one of the few that is open for lunch (pizza a pranzo!!!)

Rome, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
5,070 posts
556 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pizza tour of Rome (lunch)

We really liked the pizza by the slice, the burrata, the cured meats, and -- of all things -- the great cheeseburger at Romeo, near the Vatican. As you can see from the website, it's quite funky! Another good thing is you can get pizza and light fare even in late afternoon when the kitchen is closed (in many places the kitchens are closed roughly 2:30 to 6;00 or so). Here's the website: http://www.romeo.roma.it

In my opinion, even in low season (although it's seeming more and more that Rome does;t have a low season anymore) It's a good thing to call and make a reservation so that you don't walk to the restaurant and find you can't get in (or you can't get in until 10 p.m.). And, I can't even put a number on the times I've gone to a place that is supposed to be open, and found it closed, which is why my wife now always makes me call ahead.

West Chester...
Level Contributor
885 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pizza tour of Rome (lunch)

When we were in Ostia Lido we went to an excellant pizza restaurant that was a member of a traditional pizza makers organization. Cant remember the name of the group but I'll bet they have members in Rome

Portland, OR
Destination Expert
for Positano
Level Contributor
5,751 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Pizza tour of Rome (lunch)

Both Katie Parla and Elizabeth Minchilli have great posts on good pizza in Rome. www.parlafood.com and www.elizabethminchilliinrome.com

baltimore
Level Contributor
3,058 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Pizza tour of Rome (lunch)

I was in Rome last week and we didn't make a reservation for one meal. We could have been lucky and was able to get a table since we do eat earlier then most Italians. We usually ate dinner around 7-7:30.

7. Re: Pizza tour of Rome (lunch)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 18 November 2013, 09:05
Passo Corese, Italy
Level Contributor
1,509 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Pizza tour of Rome (lunch)

@ atp2007: Actually, Ostia IS Rome (being one of its many districts)...

@ O.P. : Personally, I would avoid those pizzerie (including the "pizzerie al taglio") located near the major tourist spots - I had my worst pizza in a joint tucked somewhere near the Spanish Steps. It was overpriced as well... my favourites aren't, unfortunately, within walking distance of the major sites: but if you feel like it, give a try to "Pizzeria San Michele" (on lungotevere Ripa, 7).

Staten Island, New...
Destination Expert
for Providenciales, Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
11,429 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Pizza tour of Rome (lunch)

Hmmmm, oook.. lets try this again...

I fee that limiting yourself to only lunches means you may miss on the great Roman super thin "Matzoh" pizza at places like Da Remo which we enjoyed but probably out of your way. I agree there were some nice 'best of' posts on the blogs Engred mentioned. Another resource.. http://theromedigest.com/eat/

As for slices for lunch we liked Roscioli and Forno Campo de’ Fiori. Pizzarium we missed but since Bonci was so devastated about that he came to us (Brooklyn) instead a few months later.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
556 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Pizza tour of Rome (lunch)

Thank you so much everyone!

I will list these and map them and figure out who is open when.

It doesn't have to be lunch, I just figured I might like a quick lunch versus a quick dinner. But, either way is fine...

Once I get my "top list" made I will know where to go and when.

Thank you again...