We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

staying our last night in Rome before flight in the morning

Surrey, Canada
Level Contributor
21 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
staying our last night in Rome before flight in the morning

we are debating whether to stay by the airport for our last night in rome or stay in town in a hotel that has easy access to the airport. does anyone have any recommendations on where to stay for around 70-100E a night or a bit higher but not much. we will need 2 rooms- one with 2 adults and the other with 2 adults and 2 children. our flight leaves at 1pm so we will need access to the airport by 10am

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
39,924 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: staying our last night in Rome before flight in the morning

Oh, do stay in Rome - why waste a long wonderful night in Rome just to save about 40 minutes in the morning. You can leave Rome around 9:15 to be sure of being there by 10 am

You can check www.venere.com for lodging - you can sort here by budget, room needs, location - you could stay anywhere in Rome and just get to Termini or Tiburtina by cab or just stay near one of these areas; depending on whether you plan to take a train. Look at the first item under the FAQs, right hand side column for info on getting to and from FCO.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
84 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: staying our last night in Rome before flight in the morning

I agree - don't waste a night in Rome. There is so much to do and see and it is only 40 minutes to FCO. A taxi will cost you around 40 euro from memory or there is the train

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
39,924 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: staying our last night in Rome before flight in the morning

Oh gosh, please do give out correct information if you are going to offer it: The flat taxi rate from Rome to FCO is 48 euros - however, I believe there may be extra for six people and I think it may be a good idea to book a car service to take all of you - you can then get a big enough vehicle for the six of you:

Check with www.romecabs.com

or

http://romeshuttlelimousine.com

(that one is not a shuttle per se; rather, it is a private car and the cost of that service is less than the romecabs one)

Both services are highly rated here on TA - both providing good service.

The money you would pay to take the trains to the airport for six people would make the car service a good option.

They are easy to book and reliable.

4. Re: staying our last night in Rome before flight in the morning

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 20 November 2013, 06:05
san francisco
Level Contributor
1,769 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: staying our last night in Rome before flight in the morning

HI TheBakersCave, Of course you should stay in Rome. You do not have a very early flight so you could enjoy your last night. Venere is good place to start to look, but I would also look at Booking.com and Airbnb. You may be able to get a very large apt to suit all of you on Airbnb, especially if you are staying off season. If you book a shuttle, but be advised that there could be traffic that in very rare instances people get stuck in on the way to the airport, so to absolutely safe, the train is the best bet. I have taken taxis, busses and the train to FCO at times and have never had any problems. The bus is the cheapest and can be boarded at Termini Station. It is large and has comfortable seats and a luggage compartment underneath. Have a great vacation.

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
12,383 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: staying our last night in Rome before flight in the morning

I agree that staying in Rome would be preferable to staying near the airport. With a 1pm departure time, you have enough time to get to the airport in the morning if you are on the train by 9am. We used the Leonardo Express train to get between the airport and Termini Station--only 14 euros per person and no risk of getting stuck in traffic.

Unfortunately, your budget of 70 - 100 euros per room sounds a bit unrealistic to me. We found a nice, but basic, hotel within walking distance of Termini Station for our overnight in Rome. I can highly recommend the Aberdeen Hotel, but the special (Rick Steves) rate on their website for dates around now would be 90 euros for a double room and 150 euros for a quad room. (We paid 100 euros in mid-July for a standard double room.)

Edited: 20 November 2013, 10:55
Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,703 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: staying our last night in Rome before flight in the morning

There are plenty of hotels in Rome under €100 per night. I don't think I've ever paid much more than €100. Many of the cheaper hotels are near Termini station, which is also convenient for catching the airport buses.

I wouldn't advise looking for an apartment for one night. Renting an apartment should be a very careful process, with extensive research to make sure you're not taken for a ride. It's not worth the time investment for one night. Anyway, most apartments won't rent for one night.

Some of the airport buses from Termini station cost €4, so for the six of you, that would be the cheapest option if you stay in Rome. Leave **plenty** of time, because buses can get stuck in traffic. See the "Top Questions" above at right for information about all the buses that go to the airport. If you don't want to take a bus, one of the private car services would probably be the best choice, because you'd probably need two taxis.

Many of the so-called airport hotels are really not convenient for getting to the airport. Their own shuttle services are almost never free, and they don't really adhere to any schedule. My daughter once stayed near the airport and ended up having to take an expensive Fiumicino city taxi in both directions, because the advertised shuttle wasn't available when she needed it.

Some people have stayed in Fiumicino town or in the town of Ostia Antica the night before a flight. Ostia Antica is the home of one of Italy's most interesting archaeological sites, the ancient Roman port city, with many intact ancient buildings. If you can get there early enough, you can see a fair amount of the site in three hours. Fiumicino has some good seafood restaurants. Both towns have cheap city buses to the airport. Fiumicino has more hotels, but the choices in both towns are reasonably priced.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
84 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: staying our last night in Rome before flight in the morning

Gosh - I am sure you will find somewhere to stay within your price range and for a 48 euro flat fee taxi trip to the airport the next day. Enjoy your stay.

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,703 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: staying our last night in Rome before flight in the morning

The guaranteed €48 taxi is only for up to four people. A group of six would probably need two taxis; even if they find one that fits six, the fare would be more than €48.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
24,397 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: staying our last night in Rome before flight in the morning

finding a quad room for 100 Euro is not that easy. finding a double is.