We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Decent eats by the Pantheon

Newport Beach, CA
Level Contributor
174 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Decent eats by the Pantheon

Hello Rome experts!

Will be arriving late afternoon on a Saturday in December and staying around the Pantheon. Looking for suggestions for a restaurant (walking distance) with a decent probability of having a table for 4 - probably around 8:30 - 9:00pm which I know is prime dining time. Have thought of making reservations ahead of time but I'm not sure exactly what time we'll get into Rome and I have this "thing" about missing reservations and/or being late so I'm thinking we'll be better off as walk ins. After 16 + hours of travel, a tasty plate of pasta and a glass of wine will be most welcome and any suggestions you have would be greatly appreciated!

rome
Level Contributor
2,178 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Decent eats by the Pantheon

Around pantheon the best place is armando al pantheon but you will absolutely need reservations. Pantheon is the center and any place (good or even bad) will be full on a saturday eve around 9 for 4 people.

san francisco
Level Contributor
1,769 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Decent eats by the Pantheon

It's a Saturday night so it might not be doable and 9 pm will be tough. There is a sweet little square near the Pantheon, Piazza delle Coppelle that has 3 good restaurants, Restaurante Casa Coppelle, Restaurante Piazza Coppelle and Restaurante Maccheroni. There is a nice wine bar too, Vinoteca Wine Bar Novecento. I would definitely make reservations somewhere, how about for 9 or 9:30 even If you arrive early, your table might be ready, but if not, go to the wine bar and enjoy a glass of one of their many wonderful wine selections. I would not count on getting in anywhere in Rome that was decent without a reservation on a Saturday night. Of these three restaurants, Macceroni, is probably the one that would be the toughest to get into since it does book up fully. My go to restaurant for simple but good fare around this area is Novona Notte behind the Piazza Navona. It is basic with good pizza and pasta and very reasonable, but they may have a line by nine. Have a great vacation.

Newport Beach, CA
Level Contributor
174 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Decent eats by the Pantheon

Thank you both for your replies - especially the info about reservations!!!!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
40,494 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Decent eats by the Pantheon

I've eaten here a few times and really enjoyed my meals - it is about one street away from the Pantheon, on the small charming Piazza Della Maddalena:

Reviews here on TA which also provide some photos -

Website of restaurant: http://www.clementeallamaddalena.it

Right across from it is the most amazing small artisanal gelato shop - not many flavors but what they have (or what I had) was really amazing - you really can't miss it. It is on the corner, on the left of the little street leading straight to Pantheon from this restaurant.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
40,494 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Decent eats by the Pantheon

I meant to add the TA reviews:

tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g187791-d1…

Stowe, Vermont
Level Contributor
7,086 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Decent eats by the Pantheon

Thank you for this - this restaurant is on the piazza where the B&B we are staying in his located. It is actually in the same building. Good to know you recommend it!

Iowa
Level Contributor
584 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Decent eats by the Pantheon

Antonio al Pantheon. Unfortunately discovered it our second to last night in Rome so we were only able to eat there twice. Otherwise would probably have eaten there every night. Not too far from there is Sabatini's which is located in the shadow of St Ignatius. It's a close second.

san francisco
Level Contributor
1,769 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Decent eats by the Pantheon

Hi kinkora, I forgot to mention the small fruit and vegetable market that is open every day except for Sunday at piazza delle Coppelle. It is set up in the square under umbrellas with the friendliest people selling. I like it because it is very local. Not too many tourists stop by and the prices were not jacked up because I was a tourist. If you are on Via delle Maddelena you are very close. You just turn off at Via delle Coppelle and you are there. Have a great vacation.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,315 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Decent eats by the Pantheon

We like Antonio's Trattoria in a side street just off the Pantheon. Really nice market driven food and the daughter/manager speaks excellent English. You might get pasta with truffles.

nickbooth.id.au/Images/Cafe__last_night_in_R…

Armandos al Pantheon requires a reservation at least earlier in the day but they are closed Saturday night and all of Sunday.

Rome, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
5,415 posts
619 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Decent eats by the Pantheon

We also like La Sagrestia, down a little street by the Pantheon (if you are looking at the front of the Pantheon, it's off to the left). Here's the TA review site: tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g187791-d790… and their Facebook page: https:/…139134836136898