We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Total Spent for 2 people for 2 weeks (October)

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
41 posts
91 reviews
Save Topic
Total Spent for 2 people for 2 weeks (October)

I hope this helps those out there planning away. This is strictly for you because I wouldn't do this for me. :-) I would have loved to have this during my trip planning process.

We were charged a total of $173.49 in international transaction fees. This is both AMEX and VISA and any ATM charges we incurred. (see my other posts about Euros we took)

We spent approx. $2,300 US on food alone. Keep in mind we ate at our hotels every day for breakfast, we ate at several nice restaurants which up'd the price a bit, and two days were spent travelling between cities. This is probably above average.

We spent approx. $830 US on souvenirs and extras that we needed, souvenirs for not only ourselves but for others too. This included: shirts, magnets, lots of Lemoncello, lots of wine, 1 pair of Nike Shoes (hubby) and extras stuff we found along the way. We also stopped at the pharmacy twice with this total and probably paid for a couple extra things I am forgetting.

We spent over $1,000 on two gift items for me and we did our VAT refund at the airport both with Global Blue getting back $109 US cash!

For totals on how much we spent on hotels, particular restaurants and sites see my other posts.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
38,763 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Total Spent for 2 people for 2 weeks (October)

Wow - I've never spent nearly that much on food - seems high to me but then I eat a bit like a bird and usually only one meal a day other than breakfast - either lunch or dinner.

Did you keep track of spends for sites/museums?

I'm sure this will be helpful to some people when planning.

san francisco
Level Contributor
1,768 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Total Spent for 2 people for 2 weeks (October)

Hi R-N-JTRAVELS, I was in Italy in October for 17 days and I spent less than $600.00 on food. I had apartments all the way through and three of the days I took walking food tours in different cities which more than filled me up. I ate a lot of street food. I did eat out about 5 times for dinner. I am not a big breakfast person, but I always made a cup of expresso in my apartment daily. I always stopped at a cafe for a cappuccino and a pastry. For lunch I ate like an Italian, a sandwich or something light and an expresso. I had gelato every day, real gelato, not the fake stuff that is whipped up and looks dayglo. I cooked light in my apt, pasta, salad with fresh seasonal veggies and a nice bottle of wine on my terrace. I came home with the same water bottle I had bought at SFO on the way to Rome. I just kept refilling it. Saved the environment, saved money. I did splurge on getting my hair done which I did in Rome, Milan and Venice and it was a lot more for shampoo and a blow dry in Italy than it is here. (Milan being the most expensive and Venice the cheapest. Rome was in the middle.) I did some shopping too. I got several pairs of leggings (7 pairs for under $100.00 US), lipstick at Limoni that I like better than my MAC for 4 Euro. (I got a membership at the store which entitled me to a discount). 5 hair clips at Coin catching a 30% off sale. I love their hair clips. I can't find them in the US. I bought 3 pairs of reading glasses at a store in Milan which knocked me out it was so cool. They have all these designer home gadgets and they had the best looking reading glasses. Every time I wear them people come up and ask me about them. They were 4 Euro a pair. I also bought some very cute earrings at a little shop off the canals in Milan. They were not a bargain, but I could not pass them up. (3 pairs) I took the Free Walking Tour in Venice and had a gondola ride for 2 Euro. I scheduled my trip to catch the monthly Vintage Flea Market in Milan. I bought some pretty vintage lace and buttons there for my sewing projects. In Cinque Terre I ate more street food. I had the fried fish cones (5 Euro) eating outside with a cold Moretti beer twice and I had the take out pasta which is cooked as you order with your choice of sauce for 5 Euro. I had a kitchen there so I cooked some pasta with fish one night and I had the homemade limoncela and pastries that were given to me by the owners for desert on my balcony watching the sunset. When I did eat out it was pricey, but worth it. I had several very good meals and enjoyed them all. It was a great trip and I brought it in just over budget. I think it was the hair stuff, but I did want to look fab carrying my precious old water bottle around Italy.

Australia
Destination Expert
for Pompeii, Herculaneum, Naples
Level Contributor
8,333 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Total Spent for 2 people for 2 weeks (October)

I probably spent more on food - but I was away for 25 days and was also paying for my son who, although 13, eats like an adult. Our most expensive dinner was 100 euro but an average dinner was about 40 euro for the two of us. Some were even as low as 15 euro for two (in Naples - so cheap!). I didn't mind eating out rather than getting sandwiches as I do all the cooking and shopping at home so it was a nice respite from all that.

Sfjam - I love Italian makeup. I went crazy in Sephora and spent 80 euro - and also went crazy in Kikki K in Naples. Their mascara is just perfect and their eye shadow stays on rather than melting off after a few hours. I also bought shoes and ceramics in Positano - this was about a 200 euro splurge but factored into the budget. I also spent 50 euro on a bottle of truffle oil in Tuscany which I take the top off and smell occasionally....and ration like it's gold bars in the bottle!

Edited: 20 November 2013, 23:49
san francisco
Level Contributor
1,768 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Total Spent for 2 people for 2 weeks (October)

HI Kathy W. I love Naples too. Italian make up is wonderful. And those splurges are great too. 25 days with a 13 year old, how wonderful. My sons used to travel with me, so I know about feeding teenagers. Thank goodness for pizza.

Edited: 21 November 2013, 00:06
Australia
Destination Expert
for Pompeii, Herculaneum, Naples
Level Contributor
8,333 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Total Spent for 2 people for 2 weeks (October)

Sfjam - lol! Yes, pizza - he also tried everything on my plate, including my wine and loves a drop or two of that truffle oil on bruschetta. We both looked like a pair of weirdos rolling our eyes and making mmmmmmm noises over the buffalo mozzarella in a salad in Naples. Oh....take me back....

What is it about Italian makeup? - the colours are richer, the mascara makes my eyes look like Bambi (when they really resemble Milhouse in The Simpsons) and it's all so cheap. I loved reading your list - the fish cones mmmmmmm (rolls eyes).

I also love how you can buy a giant Peroni for 1.50 euro from just about anywhere. Australia's rules about alcohol are so strict you practically need to hand over the deeds of your house before you can buy any.

OP - I should have bought home Limoncello, your tips are great about wrapping it in clothing!

Quebec
Destination Expert
for Mont Tremblant
Level Contributor
10,968 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Total Spent for 2 people for 2 weeks (October)

We were six, three teens, three adults and we spent way less than you for food and drink for two weeks. We ate very well and drank very well. I think 1700 EUR for us all.

san francisco
Level Contributor
1,768 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Total Spent for 2 people for 2 weeks (October)

HI Kathy W, I made my own limoncello this year. It is very easy, just a lot of lemons, some good vodka, sugar and patience. Mine went very quickly. I will be making some more soon. By the way, you only use the zest of the lemon. The inner peel is too bitter and you don't use the juice. I juiced the rest and put them in little containers in my freezer. Now when I want lemon juice, I just grab one.

Maryland
Level Contributor
514 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Total Spent for 2 people for 2 weeks (October)

sfajam, please tell me more about the 2 euro gondola ride, from what I've heard it something like 60-80 euros for 6 people!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
38,763 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Total Spent for 2 people for 2 weeks (October)

It's not a gondola ride at all - it is a traghetto (you can google it to see what it looks like, etc) , it is a quick ride that just crosses the canal - takes just a few minutes; most people stand - It is nothing like the 40 minute gondola ride at all. The boat is just similar is style - but, it probably takes less than five minutes and is used to cross over from one side of the canal to the other without needing to walk to a bridge to cross that may be further away than you want to be on the other side.

Maryland
Level Contributor
514 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Total Spent for 2 people for 2 weeks (October)

Ok, now I see, thanks MomCat!