We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Essential Packing List for 2 people for 2 weeks (October)

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
41 posts
91 reviews
Save Topic
Essential Packing List for 2 people for 2 weeks (October)

We packed the following so as not to get stuck over there without anything. Please do not make fun of this list. This list is to simply help those that might not be able to think of anything else they may or may not need. We used some of these and some we didnt. I have seperated them in those categories. I highly recommend going to Target if they have one in your area. I found everything that we needed and then some there.

Used:

Bed Bug Spray – Amazon

Fiber Pills

Sleep Pills –Diphenhydramine

Travel size ALL toiletries (except for face wash *specific for me* and shampoo)

Eye mask

Daily medicines that we take

Ear Plugs - You will be glad you brought these in Rome

Extra Batteries (AA) - and still had to buy more once there

3 wash clothes each - ARE YOU SURPRISED? We needed these in two of the three hotels

2 packages of baby wipes (for bathrooms in hotel)

2 packages of portable baby wipes (for crossbody bag- don't acted shocked YOU WILL NEED

2 travel size Lysol disinfectant spray

Blister Band-Aids (2 packages) - And we bought more (husband)

Extra Large (jumbo) Ziplock bags

Frommer’s Rome Day by Day – Barnes & Noble (did most of my planning with this, a must have)

Rick Steve’s Rome Travel Guide Pocket Ed. – Barnes & Noble (great information, a must have)

Luggage tags for each piece (we checked his, mine were both carry ons)

32 GB SD Card for FujiFilm 16 MPixel Camera (Best Buy *on sale* but Wal-Mart always good price)

Used a little:

Naproxen

Sunscreen - 1 week in the south of Italy

Copies of passports/copies of drivers licenses/ copies of all CC’s /Debit Cards for both of us that were being brought - didnt need these but so good to have

Didn't use at all:

Mosquito Repellant (For Capri and Positano Only)

Neosporin

Swimmers Ear (Ear Plugs)

Wine bottle opener - We didnt bring this but I put it on here to say the hotels have one for you!

Bubble Wrap - bought but didnt bring (for wine)

Small Roll of Clear Packaging Tap - bought but didnt bring (for wine)

Women’s shoe cushions (3 pack – Wal-Mart)

Hydrocortisone Cream

Travel Size Tide-To-Go cleansing clothes - these are crap don't buy them in general

**we put our wine/lemoncello in our ziplock bags and wrapped them in dirty clothes. We were fine and we brought 5 back**

Australia
Destination Expert
for Pompeii, Herculaneum, Naples
Level Contributor
8,647 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Essential Packing List for 2 people for 2 weeks (October)

What a great list - I'm assuming the baby wipes in your bag was for the varying bathrooms you encountered while out? I'm so oblivious to public bathrooms and their cleanliness especially after travelling in Bali and parts of South-East Asia. Some of the ferries around the Greek Islands and to Turkey had the most gross bathrooms I've ever seen - and I have a strong stomach. As long as there's no - er - 'mess' on the floor bathrooms don't bother me.

I didn't know bed bug spray even existed but what a good tip.

Just curious - did you take travel size packs of Kleenex? I found they were so useful especially if said public bathrooms had no towels to wipe your hands.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
40,523 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Essential Packing List for 2 people for 2 weeks (October)

Also - don't forget all the chargers for any electronics plus an adapter(s)

I only do carry on so can't take a wine opener and always pick one up on arrival and then I just leave it behind wherever I've been staying.

Great list you put together - nothing to laugh at at all.

Fort Worth, TX
Level Contributor
268 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Essential Packing List for 2 people for 2 weeks (October)

Thank you for posting this. I'm saving it in my Rome trip folder. We're going in February!

Quebec
Destination Expert
for Mont Tremblant
Level Contributor
11,491 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Essential Packing List for 2 people for 2 weeks (October)

What did you use the baby wipes for? I was there for two weeks with three teen girls and I am confused by the need for so many baby wipes.

I did take band aids - teens got blisters

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,317 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Essential Packing List for 2 people for 2 weeks (October)

I would only use a few of those things so I guess we all travel differently.

Definitely

* toilet paper and a few wipes

* repellent spray (mainly for flies in more mountainous/country areas)

* Compeed blister protection

* Hand sanitiser (but rarely needed it)

*personal meds and toiletries

* Kindle, laptop, cameras, external hard drive for backing up photos

I have nothing that takes ordinary batteries. All my gear is rechargeable. So all those pesky recharge cables and a plug adapter

* Luggage tags, several SD cards (first photo on each card has my contact details locked onto it)

* Downloaded copies of parts of guide books

No ear plugs, no eye mask, but definitely a corkscrew, a small plastic board, a sharp knife, a small insulated carry bag and salt, some plastic glasses. Now we are all set for the picnic.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
41 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Essential Packing List for 2 people for 2 weeks (October)

I am sorry I am so late in responding...holiday season!

Yes, the baby wipes for the bathrooms while we were out and about. I read online at a very trusted travel website (Ron In Rome) that the bathrooms in Italy are hit or miss in regards to toilet paper. This was so true! Glad I had them.

I look travel size kleenex.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
41 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Essential Packing List for 2 people for 2 weeks (October)

public restrooms are what we used them for. I am sorry I didnt explain. I am a huge germ person.

we were in the south of italy at the beach too for 7 days so they were handy there in the bathrooms right along the beach. We used them all so they were very handy.

8. Re: Essential Packing List for 2 people for 2 weeks (October)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 December 2014, 05:17