We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rome FCO strike Nov 22 2013

3 posts
Save Topic
Rome FCO strike Nov 22 2013

We've heard that the strike has been canceled but find no official notice of same. Can anyone confirm that Alitalia will fly out of Rome on Friday Nov. 22?

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,719 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rome FCO strike Nov 22 2013

The Ministry of Trasport still shows that strike:

http://www.mit.gov.it/mit/site.php?p=scioperi

Alitalia's strike lasts for only 4 hours, beginning at 1 PM. There are some other workers in airport unions that are striking all day, but I think the strike shouldn't affect international flights, anyway.

3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Rome FCO strike Nov 22 2013

Bvlenci, thanks for your response. Your information coincides with what I found yesterday and I believe it over what we were told by two different concierges at our hotel, "the strike has been canceled". We will be going to the airport today for our flight armed with the knowledge that takeoff will (most definitely) be delayed. Wish us luck!

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,719 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rome FCO strike Nov 22 2013

Please let us know how it works out, because it will be very helpful to others. I've never flown out of Rome during a strike. I've heard that there is often little impact, but I have no direct experience.

rome
Level Contributor
2,186 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Rome FCO strike Nov 22 2013

I was at the fco this afternoon and there was no strike / no visible effects.

3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Rome FCO strike Nov 22 2013

Thanks to bvlenchi and wine_gal_rome for your input. We went to FCO for our flight as scheduled. We saw no sign of a strike and our international flight on Alitalia took off within 40 minutes of it's scheduled time.

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,719 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rome FCO strike Nov 22 2013

I've since found a news source that says the Alitalia strike was called off at the last minute. It doesn't mention the other airport strikes scheduled for that day, but I've noticed that some transport strikes involving trains or the airport have little discernible effect. They may be called by minor unions, or they may be ignored by the workers; I don't know the reason.

7. Re: Rome FCO strike Nov 22 2013

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 November 2014, 05:17