We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Christmas Day Dinner -- Need Help

Tallahassee
Level Contributor
11 posts
182 reviews
Save Topic
Christmas Day Dinner -- Need Help

I need help from the experts please. I have been told that there will very few restaurants open on Christmas Day and no taxi(s) to take us even if we could find one open. Is this true? We will be staying at Hotel Alimandi Vaticano (right across the street from the Vatican Museum) Do you have a recommendation for a restaurant for Christmas Day dinner? There will be 6 adults--two are elderly. So we can not do a lot of walking I would like a nice place, good local/traditional food, nice atmosphere/does not have to be too fancy and no more than 100 Euro pp. Do you know any place? Is there some unique place to eat? We would like to eat mid-afternoon. I asked the hotel and they gave me a recommendation for a restaurant that had terrible reviews on TripAdvisor. So, I am seeing if you have thoughts. Also, will I be able to get a taxi(s) that day? If so I am happy to go where you think would be nice.--all options are welcome. If taxis are not available, do you have transportation suggestions? Being in Rome for Christmas is my Mother's dream. Help me find a place for a nice dinner that I can quickly make reservations for my family. thank you.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
41,413 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Christmas Day Dinner -- Need Help

Here are some suggestions from a well known food blogger:

parlafood.com/where-to-eat-in-rome-on-christ…

I didn't look to see where they were located but perhaps one is not far from you. Your hotel only offered one suggestion? That seems pretty paltry.

I have heard of difficulties re: taxis on Christmas Day but have not been there for the day itself; hopefully, others will have a better idea of what you might expect. Also, check whether you can arrange for a private car service for transportation - again, nothing I know anything about since I mostly walk and/or take the bus when there.

It is, of course, another question you might ask your hotel about - as to whether taxis are available that day. I recall a thread from one year where someone staying near the Vatican complained that that was, indeed, a big problem.

Here's a thread from a few years ago but I suspect some of the suggestions are still relevant - again, I've looked at the locations of the various restaurants:

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g187791-i22-k486…

I am sure you will get some suggestions.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
41,413 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Christmas Day Dinner -- Need Help

Oh, Bvlenci just posted this information in a thread above:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187791-i22-k70028…

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,719 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Christmas Day Dinner -- Need Help

I'll just add that the restaurant Ambasciata di Capri on that list is in Prati, and is about a 20-minute walk from your hotel. I've never eaten there, but the reviews are pretty good.

The list of open restaurants will keep growing as we get closer to the holidays, so check back.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
226 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Christmas Day Dinner -- Need Help

Hi

Hi

There is a really nice place only a block or so away from where you are staying,

I have been here many times during my last few trips to Rome. Their web site is www.piaceremolise.net either click on translate or the English flag.

The food is really good and at reasonable prices, they also have a good wine list. You could email them and find out if they are open or ask your hotel to contact them on your behalf.

Like many good restaurants it does not look like much outside but inside is lovely with a nice family feel to the atmosphere.

I will certainly be going back in January during my next visit to Rome.

Enjoy

Mitch

Italy
Level Contributor
6,041 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Christmas Day Dinner -- Need Help

Please consider that some restaurants will have a fixed menù that day and that you won't be albe to eat in mid afternoon.

Edited: 22 November 2013, 08:17
Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,719 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Christmas Day Dinner -- Need Help

Most of the restaurants on the list I posted have alla carta on Christmas Day, including the one in Prati. There were two with fixed menus.

This is the list, for all of the upcoming holidays, not just Christmas Day:

ristorantidiroma.com/capodanno/rubricadifine…

However, you have to read the topic whose link is given above in post number 2, because the web site is in Italian, and in that topic I explain how to decipher the list.

Tallahassee
Level Contributor
11 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Christmas Day Dinner -- Need Help

Thank you to everyone. Your recommendations are so appreciated.

Haz-Zebbug, Malta
Level Contributor
64 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Christmas Day Dinner -- Need Help

I have the same question... We are going to be located near termini station and we are looking for a restaurant for dinner on Christmas day.

Thanks

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,719 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Christmas Day Dinner -- Need Help

The web site I indicated above gives addresses, which you can look up on Google Maps. The Termini station area is rather large, so this would be your best option. Remember to read the topic I gave a link for in post number 2, and also remember that restaurants will continue to be added to the list, so check back.

Rome, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
5,735 posts
620 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Christmas Day Dinner -- Need Help

New blog post on what's open for holiday meals from the terrific site The Rome Digest: theromedigest.com/eat-rome-christmas-new-yea…