We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Roman Empire centered itinerary suggestions

Buffalo
Level Contributor
145 posts
62 reviews
Save Topic
Roman Empire centered itinerary suggestions

We are planning 7 days, mostly in Rome, but also a trip to Capri to see Villa Jovis in Capri.

Please post your favorite historical sites, but spare the obvious ones, as they are a no brainer.

Much appreciation from Tripadvisor posters as usual. Thanks!

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
20,686 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Roman Empire centered itinerary suggestions

Google map with Ancient Roman sites marked.

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms…

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
40,525 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Roman Empire centered itinerary suggestions

Not sure what you consider the no brainer/obvious ones; Villa Jovis is obvious to me.

Are you only looking for such sites in Capri or Rome as well. If for Rome, there are more than anyone can imagine - most people usually only visit the most often visited ones but - I have been using my guidebooks, history books and online research to determine such sites I am interested in visiting.

Going back in a few weeks for visit number 22 to Rome - still have a long list so any list, as requested, could be quite lengthy and without a guidebook(s), there's no context.

Australia
Destination Expert
for Pompeii, Herculaneum, Naples
Level Contributor
8,648 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Roman Empire centered itinerary suggestions

If you're going to Capri, is it just for the day? There are many sites in the area that are significant to Ancient Roman history, for example the tomb of Agrippina and Piscina Mirabilis in Bacoli and Poppaea's villa at Oplontis - they're just a couple.

In Rome, visit the Ara Pacis - Augustus' altar of peace - in its purpose built museum on the river. His mausoleum is across the street but is closed and in a very sad state of disrepair.

If you're going before February there is a great exhibition on Augustus in the Quirinale - it even has the Prima Porta statue on display.

The Capitoline Museum is another must - the original bronze equestrian of Marcus Aurelius is in here as well as numerous busts of the imperial family. The colossal statue of Constantine - well, parts of it - are in the courtyard.

When I was there last month there were some archaeologists on a dig at the remains of Nero's Domus Aurea - this was interesting to watch. It's opposite the Colosseum, just near the Arch of Constantine.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
40,525 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Roman Empire centered itinerary suggestions

Gosh - I hope someday they can safely open Nero's Golden House again - I feel so fortunate to have gotten to see it when they first re-opened it back in the late 1990s - The history of it alone brings the site to life. When I went, there was barely a handful of people; I can only imagine what it would be like now with the internet bookings, etc though I would think they would carefully need to not allow too many visitors at a time. There were parts in which the frescoes were still very vibrant in color/design.

Oh well - maybe one day they can reopen.

Australia
Destination Expert
for Pompeii, Herculaneum, Naples
Level Contributor
8,648 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Roman Empire centered itinerary suggestions

Momcat - did you see it? Truly? Oh my gosh you are so lucky. It's likely to remain closed for years and I'd imagine if it was re opened it would be similar to the Scavi tours of the Vatican - extremely limited numbers and bookings months in advance. It's like House of the Vetti in Pompeii - that's unlikely to open any time soon as well and those who have seen it are so very fortunate.

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
20,686 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Roman Empire centered itinerary suggestions

I saw Nero's Golden House in 2005. Maybe they did not show us the really good stuff? I was completely unimpressed.

Exeter, United...
Level Contributor
230 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Roman Empire centered itinerary suggestions

If you get time, spend a day in Pozzuoli on the way to or from Capri. The amphitheatre is spectacular and very well preserved and there are loads of other interesting things to see, including the old Roman market. The whole area of the Phlegrean files is packed with well preserved Roman (and earlier) remains, and there is enough to keep you amused for several weeks if you have the time.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
303 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Roman Empire centered itinerary suggestions

Some suggestions in Rome:

Trajan's Market (accessed via the Musei dei Fori Imperiali) -- lovely site that's often overlooked

Bottom level of San Clemente -- really nice Mithraeum

Roman houses under Santi Giovanni e Paolo -- well worth a visit as there aren't a pile of Roman-era houses to be seen in Rome itself. (Skip the cheesy tour of the domus under Palazzo Valentini....)

Museo Nazionale at Termini -- lots of goodies, but whatever you do, don't miss the frescoes from the villa of Livia.

Plan ahead for some sites (e.g., on Palatine Hill, check when the houses are open and don't be surprised if you show up and find them closed anyway....) I got lucky and visited the Auditorium of Maecenas once, but you have to arrange in advance.

As for Capri, I spent 10 days in Campania in 2012 and there is so much to see. While Villa Jovis is terrific, there are a lot of sites I'd recommend above it -- however, perhaps you've already seen a lot of them?

West Chester...
Level Contributor
979 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Roman Empire centered itinerary suggestions

Not sure if Ostia Antica is considered one of the obvious, an easy train trip on Rome Metro trains. There is also Hadrian's Villa (not just a villa but quite a sizeable town) a short ride from Rome. Both were very interesting. We also found some Roman ruins in Teramo, about 2 hours east of Rome. If you also have some interest in the Etruscans, there is a great Museum in Rome near the Villa Borghese, and on the way to Tarquinia, you will pass some Roman aquaducts right by the road.

10. Re: Roman Empire centered itinerary suggestions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 December 2014, 05:18