We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flan de Cipolle Rosse con Crema di Gorgonzola in Florence

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
556 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Flan de Cipolle Rosse con Crema di Gorgonzola in Florence

Good evening

Last week I had one of the tastiest meals I've had in a long time, at Trattoria Monti.

I had their onion flan as described above.

By any chance is there any restaurant in Florence (or Venice, for that matter) that might possibly have something similar? I know it's a long shot but I thought I'd ask...

Many thanks

Ormskirk, United...
Level Contributor
370 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Flan de Cipolle Rosse con Crema di Gorgonzola in Florence

The Flan sounds delicious - I'll have to try it! Are you posting a review on the Trattoria Monti TA page?

You'll probably get better responses to you question if you post on the Florence / Venice forums. Sorry I can't be of more help (even though I've been to Florence and Venice, I've not looked for this on menus).

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
32,656 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Flan de Cipolle Rosse con Crema di Gorgonzola in Florence

It's not a Tuscan or a Venetian dish so I rather doubt it. Italians generally eat local food, and the area most famous for red onions is Calabria, while Gorgonzola comes from Lombardy and Piedmont. It sounds to me like an adaptation of a Calabrian dish by a Milanese chef.

rome
Level Contributor
2,189 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Flan de Cipolle Rosse con Crema di Gorgonzola in Florence

Trattoria Monti is run by a family from the Marche.

Italy
Level Contributor
6,041 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Flan de Cipolle Rosse con Crema di Gorgonzola in Florence

And many times good chefs have great ideas combining differen ingredients from differen regions.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
556 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Flan de Cipolle Rosse con Crema di Gorgonzola in Florence

Hi everyone

I will post this in the other forums, I meant to do so earlier but time got away from me. Thank you for the replies.

Interestingly enough there is a restaurant named Osteria Cipolla Rosse in Florence. Maybe a good place to start?

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,719 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Flan de Cipolle Rosse con Crema di Gorgonzola in Florence

It's not a traditional dish in Le Marche, and the gorgonzola would make it seem like a Milanese dish. However, as has been already stated, a great chef can invent great dishes.

Montelparo, Italy
Level Contributor
2,458 posts
428 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Flan de Cipolle Rosse con Crema di Gorgonzola in Florence

The onion is a farm product and the real taste, ambience and feeling comes in the country area.

We have had all of these senses at Il Corbezzolo in Cantalupo and Perbacco in Cannara, where there is the Cipolla Rossa gastronomic fair scheduled every year.

8. Re: Flan de Cipolle Rosse con Crema di Gorgonzola in Florence

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 December 2014, 06:19