We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Italy, Greece and Turkey

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Australia
Level Contributor
43 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Italy, Greece and Turkey

Hi

I'm going to Italy, Greece and Turkey next year. I'm thinking of going either September or October.

I would like to go for 4-6 weeks and spend the majority of the time in Italy.

I don't know where to start with all this as I haven't been for a long time.

What's the best way to get from Italy, Greece, Turkey?

What's the best way to get around by public transport in these countries incase I don't drive.

What's the best way to get to the Greek Islands?

Is it better to purchase a return ticket to and from Rome or a one way ticket to Rome and a one way ticket from Istanbul to my final destination.

What are some tourist traps in each country that I should try to avoid.

Thanks.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
83,132 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Italy, Greece and Turkey

No need to buy two one-way tickets. You should be able to get an "open jaws" or "multi-city" ticket, flying into Rome and out of Istanbul, for about the same price as a return ticket.

There are flights between Rome and Athens, and between Athens and Istanbul.

For travel within Italy, the best way of travelling between cities is by train. A rental car is useful (perhaps essential) if you want to explore the countryside and see small places.

Umbria, Italy
Destination Expert
for Sunshine Coast, Umbria
Level Contributor
4,516 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Italy, Greece and Turkey

many questions and some could be asked in the Forum of each country to get more exact answers.

As Nick said Open Jaw is going to cost you the same as say Sydney Rome Sydney........

I have just booked Brisbane -Amsterdam -Rome -Sydney last week for $1788 ( and it includes a 5 day stopover in Hong kong on way back.)

Train in Italy.....Plane in Turkey.....boat in greece if not wanting to drive.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Italy, Greece and Turkey

It depends where you're going to in Italy but you could get the ferry over to greece.

4. Re: Italy, Greece and Turkey

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 December 2014, 05:17