We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rome to Sorrento then Florence then Venice - Help please !!!

australia
Level Contributor
328 posts
108 reviews
Save Topic
Rome to Sorrento then Florence then Venice - Help please !!!

Hello

We are an Australian family of 5 doing 8 weeks through Europe next September. We start our trip in Rome where we stay for 5 nights. We have then 7 nights to visit :

Sorrento ( Pompeii, Almafi Coast, Blue Grotto )

Florence

Venice

We fly out from VENICE to Prague. Was planning on spending 3 days SORRENTO, 2 Days FLORENCE, 2 Days VENICE. Yes it is hectic.

What are my realistic options. I can hire a Minivan from Rome and drive to SORRENTO then back to FLORENCE then to VENICE. However, I am not too keen about driving in Italy. Trains are an option ?

Basically start in Rome and Finish in venice....

Any ideas or suggestions greatly appreciated.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
88,047 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rome to Sorrento then Florence then Venice - Help please !!!

Bear in mind that by the time to pack, check out, travel, check in and unpack, 2 nights in a city really means only 1 day. You will have very little time to get to know Florence or Venice.

Train will be very much faster than a van, and if you travel by train you will not have the problem of what to do with the van in Sorrento and Florence. All of central Florence is prohibited to visitors' cars. This prohibition, and the use of bus lanes, are monitored by cameras and €100 fines.

For the best prices on train travel, book direct with the operator as far ahead as possible. Trenitalia tickets go on sale 4 months before travel, and the cheapest tickets often sell out quickly. Discounted ticket prices keep going up as the travel date gets closer.

You can get train times and costs from www.trenitalia.com clicking on the UK flag to change to English and using the Italian names for towns, or from the competitor on major routes http://www.italotreno.it/EN . There are notes about online booking at www.nickbooth.id.au/Tips/ItalyTrain.htm

Note that for Sorrento, you take either Trenitalia or Italo to Naples and change there to the suburban Circumvesuviana train to Sorrento. It is not possible to buy Circumvesuviana tickets online.

australia
Level Contributor
328 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rome to Sorrento then Florence then Venice - Help please !!!

Hi Sydneynick,

Thanks for the quick reply. In a nutshell, Train from ROME to SORRENTO, SORENTO to ROME, then ROME to FLORENCE, FLORENCE to VENICE. Doable but limiting. Could I base in ROME and slip down to SORRENTO for an overnighter and tour to capture the key sights ?

SO MUCH TO SEE AND DO and no enough time to do it.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
9,570 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rome to Sorrento then Florence then Venice - Help please !!!

Why backtrack to Rome? It would be a waste of your time.

Do Rome to Sorrento (which consists of a train to Naples, about one hour 10 minutes, then a private train from Napoli Garibaldi to Sorrento, about 1 hour 5 minutes - http://www.eavcampania.it/web/)

Stay overnight in Naples, and then continue your journey to Florence (just under 3 hours from Naples)

Australia
Destination Expert
for Pompeii, Herculaneum, Naples
Level Contributor
8,776 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rome to Sorrento then Florence then Venice - Help please !!!

Hi Parraboy

According to your first post you want to see Amalfi Coast, Capri (Blue Grotto) and Pompeii.

Not even possible on a day trip! You will need a couple of days for all of this.

What ages are your kids? I seriously don't think Florence is a kid place - and this is having just been there with my own teenage son (aged 13) who loved it - but with your seriously short time, I would skip Florence unless you all love Renaissance art and just see Rome, Naples (Pompeii, Capri etc) and then head straight to Venice.

Trains are easy - no need for a car if you follow your plans.

Edited: 07 December 2013, 11:50
Pottersville, New...
Level Contributor
123 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rome to Sorrento then Florence then Venice - Help please !!!

With the limited amount of time you have, you will want to savor and enjoy the sights of Italy, rather than spend much of your time in transit. I'd encourage you to drop Sorrento, as it will be the most time-consuming to get to and from. Rome-Florence-Venice makes a very logical route and has easy connections by train. This way, you'll have a few days to enjoy each city. Moving five people every other day would be very tedious. Buon viaggio!

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
34,270 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rome to Sorrento then Florence then Venice - Help please !!!

I, too, suggest you skip Sorrento and split the 7 days between Florence and Venice. I think you'll find it much easier travel wise and with so much to see and do in each city it makes more sense than trying to cram too much in. With your original plan you are trying to visit 6 areas in 7 days. That's too much, especially considering the travel time involved.

Donna

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
34,270 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rome to Sorrento then Florence then Venice - Help please !!!

Oh, I forgot to add that you can do Pompeii as a daytrip from Rome if you really wish to visit the site. It takes all day but it's very easy to do. Perhaps you could do that and split the other 6 days between Florence and Rome.

Donna

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
31,241 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Rome to Sorrento then Florence then Venice - Help please !!!

You could stay in the walled town of Lucca www.lucca.ca Visit Florence and Pisa by Trenitalia train www.visitflorence.com www.aboutpisa.info

Trains to Venice www.trenitalia.com Click on the UK flag for train times

Accommodation www.venere.com www.bed-and-breakfast-in-italy.com

Amelia Island...
Level Contributor
910 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Rome to Sorrento then Florence then Venice - Help please !!!

I am a big fan of Sorrento but you may want to reconsider it in your travels this time. Why not do a tour to Pompeii out of Rome (dbabe is right) and skip the Amalfi Coast and Capri’s Blue Grotto? As Kathy W says “Not even possible on a day trip! You will need a couple of days for all of this. This will give you much more time to see Florence and Venice, otherwise you’re spending so much time traveling!

Edited: 08 December 2013, 18:05
U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London, Dry Tortugas National Park
Level Contributor
20,153 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Rome to Sorrento then Florence then Venice - Help please !!!

I also think you would be better served basing yourself in Rome and doing day trips to Pompeii or Ostia Antica, and another day trip to Florence.

Then train up to Venice.

If the Amalfi Coast is something you really must see than you need to extend your trip.