We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

train or plane to venie

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
seatle
Level Contributor
216 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
train or plane to venie

I had thought to take the train from rome to venice, but I would like advice on whether it is better to fly. The prices are similar; the flight is just an hour but I don't know how difficult it is to deal with the rome and venice airports as well as travel time to the airports vs. train stations. Any thoughts are appreciated!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,222 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: train or plane to venie

The two have been compared several times and for convenience falls on the train which is city centre to city centre. Timewise, it is about the same by the time you negotiate airports and security, take buses to and from airports etc. but you don't need the additional struggle with luggage and changing transport when you use a train. It can also be very cheap indeed if booked up to 4 months in advance, from €19.

Adelaide
Level Contributor
4,621 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: train or plane to venie

On short hauls like this, the train wins hands down. No having to find a way to the airport, no arriving x hours before your flight, no security problems, no waiting for luggage, and no long trip from your destination airport to the city center.

And in Venice you walk off the train, out of the station, and you're immediately in the thick of things right on the grand canal.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
3,189 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: train or plane to venie

Nothing beats arriving at the Venice trains station and walking out to see the Grand Canal.

Florence, Italy
Level Contributor
3,999 posts
773 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: train or plane to venie

Appropriate answers are in the following threads:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187791-i22-k48906…

tripadvisor.com.au/ShowTopic-g187791-i22-k61…

Brun066

US
Level Contributor
427 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: train or plane to venie

I am thinking of adding in Venice in my trip.

I have about 14 days in total to split between Rome and Paris and thought of throwing in Venice in the middle.

Do you think I should do that? Would it be better just doing Paris and Rome only?

If yes to Venice, how many days then?

I have 2 kids about 5 and 7.

My concern is actually reading about travelling on the train and having your bags gone.

I have 2 huge bag. And 2 strollers and 1 back pack.

I am not sure if I can keep the large case with me (how is the check in like or bag placements like)?

Turin
Level Contributor
5,414 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: train or plane to venie

Here on tripadvisor I read 4 first hand accounts about luggage being stolen from a train, on the other side 180.000 persons use long distance Trenitalia trains every single day.

If I were you I wouldn't worry about thefts, I'd wonder who is going to lift 2 huge bags, 2 strollers and 1 back pack to board the train!

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
83,986 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: train or plane to venie

There is no check-in for trains. You carry your luggage onto the train and stow it yourself. There are overhead racks for smaller items and an area (usually at the end of the cars) for large iteems.

For train travel, it is essential that you do not have more luggage than you can *comfortably* handle by yourselves. There is nobody to help you at the stations, there may be stairs to the platforms, and there are always a few steep steps up into the train.

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
28,549 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: train or plane to venie

If you decide to fly, let's hope your baggage is not 'lost' in either of the airports. Probably just as likely (or more) as it being stolen from a train, but at least on the train you can keep an eye on it during the only times when it is very slightly at risk, which is when the train is standing at a station. Between Rome and Venice, most trains stop only four times, in Florence, Bologna, Padua and Venezia Mestre.

9. Re: train or plane to venie

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 December 2014, 05:18