We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Going to ROME this January....please give me some tips,,

Dubai, United Arab...
4 posts
Save Topic
Going to ROME this January....please give me some tips,,

HI!

I will be travelling to Rome this January.. I am going alone with no friends/relatives. well! sounds like an adventure but scarry,,,hmmmpppp

i have a lot of questions on my mind right now..

1st: weather of place in this month.

2nd: from the airport terminal going to rome

-options going to rome:? by train or by taxi ( which is inexpensive)

- where to buy ticket and how much-

3rd: I need a NAno Sim card for my iphone:

-where can i buy this? and how much?

is there any requirements to give before you can buy? like ID's and stuff

4th: from rome to milan? how can i go there? by train i guess>??

- any ideas how many hours and where to buy tickets

5th: please give me some advice and tips in ITALY

I will be staying there for about 10 days

thank you

BR,

Rona

Hamburg, Germany
Level Contributor
85 posts
266 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Going to ROME this January....please give me some tips,,

I am in Rome right now, my first visit.

I got down at Fiumicino ariport and followed the direction to the train. It is easy, convenient and cheap. Go to the train station and buy the ticket to Termini, costing 8 Euro. Train takes about 30 minutes from Platform 2.

Do not forget to buy Roma pass, which is valid for 3 days on all transportation (excluding airport transfer) and 2 museums of your choice. This costs 34 Euro. You can easily save about 25 Euro on regular museum price, and about half a day in queue.

I can not comment on the SIM card, sorry.

You can go to the website of Rail Italia (italiarail.com) and take your pic. The trains are very reliable and comfortable.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Arvind

Edited: 24 December 2013, 08:10
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
90,151 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Going to ROME this January....please give me some tips,,

1. If you Google "Weather Rome", you will find dozens of web sites saying what the weather has been like in past years.

2. See the Top Question "To and from FCO airport" at top right of this page.

3. No idea.

4. For the best prices, buy your train tickets now. Trenitalia tickets go on sale 4 months before travel, and the cheapest tickets often sell out quickly. Discounted ticket prices keep going up as the travel date gets closer.

You can get train times and costs from www.trenitalia.com clicking on the UK flag to change to English and using the Italian names for towns, or from the competitor on major routes http://www.italotreno.it/EN . There are notes about online booking at www.nickbooth.id.au/Tips/ItalyTrain.htm

5. Read a guide book: it will contain many pages of tips.

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
35,559 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Going to ROME this January....please give me some tips,,

The romapass will only save you money if you see at least 3 sites covered by the pass and use public transportation a few times a day. It will allow you to bypass the lines but you can do that by buying entry tickets online before you leave home. Visit the romapass website to see if the pass will actually save you money or if you're better off buying individual tickets online.

Get a guide book to help you determine what sites you wish to see and where they are located. Rome is full of sites and 10 days is not near enough time to see them.

Walking is the best way to get around Rome. The main sites are close to each other with lots of lesser visited sites in between. You'll need a good map but any guide book will have them.

Donna

Roma
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
13,012 posts
684 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Going to ROME this January....please give me some tips,,

The train Leonardo Express from Fiumicino Airport to Termini is highly expensive (14 euros!) and usually not worth. Unless very particular situations, it is to avoid. You could take the other Train FR1 which costs 8 euros and connects Fiumicino with many stations of Rome. If you had said to which part of Rome you have to go, answering would be easier.

The RomaPass, as the Leonardo Express, is a typical legalized tourist trap. It is very expensive and may be convenient just if you want to visit many of the sites included in the Pass. It depends on what you want to visit. But Rome offers much more than these sites: all the churches can be visited for free, so is the Pantheon, and above all Rome is not just a list of sites, it is an amazing city which would deserve to be discovered walking here and there.

As said, in cases like yours reading a good guidebook would be very useful.

Dubai, United Arab...
4 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Going to ROME this January....please give me some tips,,

thank you for your response...

is there a One month pass for travelling within the cities of Italy? beacause i have heard and read from other websites/ blog that there is a one month pass that could save me from travelling within the cities.

you know some place like hotel/travellers Inn that isinexpensive and near to the city attractions?

thank you

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
35,559 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Going to ROME this January....please give me some tips,,

If you're only going to be there for 10 days why would you want a month long pass?

There are transport passes you can buy that will get you around the city. There are single passes(1.50 euros), day passes(6 euros), three day passes(16.50 euros), week passes(24 euros) and a month long pass (35 euros).

What do you wish to spend on your hotel. Reasonable means different things to different people.

Donna

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
21,236 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Going to ROME this January....please give me some tips,,

Average high/lo for Jan 1 Rome is 10/3 Deg C.

www.wunderground.com/NORMS/DisplayNORMS.asp…

Dubai, United Arab...
4 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Going to ROME this January....please give me some tips,,

yes! i will be staying in ROME for 10 days but my visa is valid for 3 months perhaps, i can explore the city very well. but, that is only optional for EUROPE I know! is expensive everything.

thank you

BR,

RONA

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
1,444 posts
178 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Going to ROME this January....please give me some tips,,

#1...weather here now, January. It is chilly. Down coats and jackets are quite common. Expect rain. It rained today and we are supposed to have more severe rain tomorrow. However, over the last week, it's also been partly cloudy and we had a couple of really nice days. Perhaps a leather jacket or have your cloth jacket will suffice for you. I do not see people wearing gloves and I have not worn either of the two pair of gloves that I brought but scarves are definitely worn and at night they are warm. Bring a good quality small travel umbrella. Rain resistant shoes, coat.

#3...nano SIM. I bought mine in Italy. It's very simple. I use WIND but there is also TIM and VODAPHONE. Just go into any one of those stores and bring your iPad mini or other device which takes the nano Sim with you. You will need to bring your passport also. You will be given a Sim that is popped out of a car that looks kind of like a credit card in shape. Do not lose that card. It will contain the phone number and the pin which he must have. I paid €30 for the first month and that included the first set up fee after that I am now paying €15 per month for unlimited data use on my iPad. I use it quite a lot. I love it and it's really changed my travel life. Because I have been in and out of Italy quite a bit since May of this year, I chose to pay the €15 monthly fee. If you let it lapse, they told me I had to pay the additional set up fee again. If I were you, if you believe you may stay in Europe for three months, if you're only in Italy for that month, just pay the €30 for one month and if you see you will stay longer, just bring it into any of those stores and they will recharge it for you upon a €15 payment. If you travel to Spain for a month and France for a month for example then I would bring my iPad into their local provider and get a one-month set up in each of those countries. I do not know the answer if you will be one or two weeks in each country the best way to advise you.

#5...Last week, I took the train from the Milan airport into Milan central train station, Milano Centrale. It was €10. Then, because I did not plan ahead, the train from Milan to Rome was €86 second-class and it takes three hours. There is an intercity train Milan to Rome that takes six hours that is less than half that price. If you know the exact date and time that you will take the train from Milan to Rome, if you can plan up to four months ahead, you may be able to score a very cheap train fare of €19-€29 for the Milan Rome portion.

Edited: 04 January 2014, 13:59
Massachusetts
Level Contributor
1,444 posts
178 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Going to ROME this January....please give me some tips,,

Rona, I am also traveling alone, and it's very nice and simple, don't worry if you can help it. People will be generally happy to help you if you are looking confused with your map, or, if you're as bad as I with directions, trying to follow Google maps on my iPad, and still walking in circles.

Please note that it is considered good manners in Italy to first greet someone before you ever ask for something. And very rude not to. In other words, if you're lost, don't just walk up to someone and say in English, "where is the Pantheon?" Say something like "Buon giorno" before you ask for help, when you enter a store, before you buy a train ticket from the seller, etc. Learn to say hello, goodbye, yes, no, good morning/evening, please, thank you, and you can use your iPad for Google translate when you need it which comes in handy for me.

I find Italians to be extremely warm, engaging and helpful and it makes travel here so nice. Be brave! Italy is fabulous.

Happy travels,

Lana