We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wittyone, Monamia, other winter travellers!

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Omaha, NE
Level Contributor
403 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Wittyone, Monamia, other winter travellers!

I think our luck is turning around!

I'm starting to find November fares that are really, really good. $720 pp from Omaha to Florence, Rome to Omaha! Booking directly with the airline, too (American)! And I know Air France just released some great fares, too. I haven't been able to find anything under $850 until now.

I really think I might book soon. $720pp is a great deal for us, since we live in Omaha (not an international airport), it's a multi-destination flight (flying into Florence and out of Rome), and we'd be flying over Thanksgiving. The only sort of bad part is that there are two layovers on the way home, not one like we wanted.

But anyway, things are looking really good!

Good luck to you two, too! I'll be sure to post if we take the plunge.

Katie

coxs creek, kentucky
Level Contributor
4,310 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wittyone, Monamia, other winter travellers!

Hi Katie !! I have been looking at Air France but I still don't find anything there for us that is less than 950.00-1000 per ticket. Also, the dates need to be flexible, which is not a problem for us, but it might be for some people. I thought it looked really good until I found out that the fare quoted was one way on a round trip ticket. AA has definitely been coming down though ! My husband is having a huge dilemma over whether or not to book now. I still "think" that it is too early, but I have been known to be wrong a time or two in my life! No more than that, I'm sure!!! One of those times was when I said that I only NEEDED to go to Rome once !!!! Oh, I thought if I could only go to Rome once in my lifetime, I would be so happy !! Whoa !! I didn't expect it to become such an addiction !!!! Good luck to you and do what ever makes you feel comfortable ! The cost is not so high that I would want to tell you not to go for it--it might me me who winds up paying more if I can make my husband wait!!! Let me know what you decide to do ! It is tempting, I know !!

Long Island, New...
Level Contributor
1,367 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wittyone, Monamia, other winter travellers!

Hello, did you check on Kayak dot com? I saw something on the news that said they give you many prices for these airlines. They dont book the flight but tell you best prices. Good Luck!

arkansas
Level Contributor
59 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Wittyone, Monamia, other winter travellers!

wittyone, Klcrooks---Were you able to find a "deal" for your trip in November? I've been searching for about 3 months. We're also planning a November trip. Wondering if I should go ahead and book?

coxs creek, kentucky
Level Contributor
4,310 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Wittyone, Monamia, other winter travellers!

Cloudscreation, I am still waiting and watching !! I don't know about everyone else though. So far we are down to about 750.00. I think it will go lower but I really don't think anyone could say that at this time. It is a big gamble !! When are you going in November and to where ? We are going on the 3rd to Rome for a week and then to Florence for a week. I am still trying to figure out if there is another place I want to go or not. We just didn't get to see nearly enough on our trip in March !!! Keep us posted !!!

rockville centre, ny
Level Contributor
1,495 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Wittyone, Monamia, other winter travellers!

Fellow November travelers,

I might be wrong, but I believe if you purchase your tickets, for example, for $750.00 and the airfare goes down before you leave for your trip, you could call the airline and you will be credited the difference.

Check that out with your individual airline you want to fly on and then you could purchase your tickets without waiting for the fares to go lower.

Kathy

coxs creek, kentucky
Level Contributor
4,310 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Wittyone, Monamia, other winter travellers!

vivebene, I think ( and I may also be wrong!!!) in days gone by that it was that way, but I don't think they do that anymore. I will check on that again, though ! Really, I don't think that $750.00 is a bad price for going from here to Rome, but if the prices fall considerably more, I would be kicking myself in the behind for booking this early !! With the price of gasoline being so outrageous it may be the best deal now. I usually don't like to gamble but I think it is too early yet to get the best price so I am going to wait. Thanks for the tip though. I had forgotten that they used to do that. Oh, for the good old days!!! Did you already book ???

rockville centre, ny
Level Contributor
1,495 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Wittyone, Monamia, other winter travellers!

Wittyone,

I booked about two months ago; however, I used my American Express membership miles to buy Alitalia tickets. I still had to pay $220.00 each to cover the taxes.

If anyone chooses to go this way, try to get Delta to go to Italy...I couldn't get seats from them using my miles and they are technically the same seats as Alitalia as they are partners! Delta reps are not very friendly or helpful on the phone...at least that has been my experience.

The bad part was Alitalia cost me 65,000 points vs. Delta which charges only 50,000 points. And times that by 4 because I'm taking my husband (ha ha), my son and his girlfriend!

Getting back to a credit if buying tickets sooner than later and the price decreases, I would definitely ask.

A couple of years ago we went to Anguilla via American Airlines. I had purchased tickets six months prior and when I asked the rep on the phone about their policy, was told a credit would be issued if I called back having found a lower price.

I like to get my tickets early because seating is very important to me.

Sometimes you cannot get seating together in coach or you might be in the dreaded last row with seats that don't recline.

Good luck,

Let us know when you book.

Kathy

8. Re: Wittyone, Monamia, other winter travellers!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 August 2009, 17:19