We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Civitavecchia - getting to Rome

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London
Level Contributor
8 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Civitavecchia - getting to Rome

Can anyone help with ideas on independent travel to Rome from port. Cruising with Royal Caribbean and excursions seem pricey. Help please - 2 kids (8 & 10) in tow so would like to know how easy to organise ourselves. Thanks.

Toronto, Ontario
Level Contributor
850 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Civitavecchia - getting to Rome

We've used Rome Shuttle Limousine before for airport transfers when we were in Rome last year. They were great and we thought very affordable with a competent quiet driver with my name on a sign at the arrivals gate and a clean Mercedes Benz Sedan to pick us up (35 Euros).

They also go from anywhere in Rome to the port for 110 Euro for upto 4 people (though 4 might be a stretch in a sedan depending on luggage). For a Mercedes Van they charge145 Euro.

http://www.romeshuttlelimousine.com/

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,580 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Civitavecchia - getting to Rome

You should also go to: www.cruisecritic.com

It is a great website to use to gather information on cruises. When you get to the main page, click open the "boards" category near the top left of the page, then scroll down the page til you find "Roll Calls" then look for RCCL, your ship and date of your sailing. You will find others posting there going on the same cruise and may be able to share private tours, etc.

There are so many wonderful attractions for your 2 children to see while visiting Rome. You could book a tour of the Vatican and visit the Colosseum. They would really enjoy seeing the Colosseum.

Hope this helps. Just remember that it is about an hour to hour and a half drive into Rome from the port so you will have to factor that into the time you will have to sightsee. RCCL may have shuttle busses going back and forth also. You can check that out directly w/ the cruise line.

Ottawa
7 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Civitavecchia - getting to Rome

We are also cruising and having the same challange.

I will try the website. I am exploring trains. I tried the Trenitalia site but could'nt work out routes and stations.

We are staying at the grand hotel Beverly Hills (any good) near the Viall Bourgess, so I think the metro station is ?

I also had challanges with the fare. We are 2 adults and a 12 year child. What do I ask for re discounts.

I also tried this site to book the night train from Paris to Rome on 14 Aug, but no rates or booking on line was available?

Any help will be appreciated.

Canada
Level Contributor
1,374 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Civitavecchia - getting to Rome

Try www. portreviews.com

They have detailed info including pictures (for landmarks) on how to get from Civitavecchia to Rome. Having done it I can say it is very easy . Those visiting in the next week or two I just want you to be aware of a taxi strike . I will be there next week and I am hoping it will be over by then . I will let you know the situation upon my return .

5. Re: Civitavecchia - getting to Rome

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines with regards to the participation of business representatives.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 October 2011, 15:00
england
Level Contributor
137 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Civitavecchia - getting to Rome

we have just done the train into rome it was very easy, the walk to the station is less than 30mins and the trains run 1 an hour. we got off at st.pietro for the vatican and from there you can get an open top bus to see the sights

7. Re: Civitavecchia - getting to Rome

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 August 2009, 10:33