We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travelling time on metro from Termini to Vatican?

Clacton
Level Contributor
24 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Travelling time on metro from Termini to Vatican?

Hello,

I'm staying in Rome for one night, so I have a very limited time scale for attractions and want to find the quickest way from Termini to Vatican on the metro. I would be looking to travel very early on a Monday morning. Ideally I would like to get there for 8am.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
32,380 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travelling time on metro from Termini to Vatican?

It's only 7 stops on metro line A (red) from Termini to the Ciprio-Musei Vaticani stop (6 to S. Pietro), and at peak travel time on a weekday it shouldn't take more than 20 minutes.

The first metro on that line departs at 05:30 (…roma.it/servizi/trasporti-pubblici-roma/ora…) and they run every few minutes.

Not that the Vatican ticket office is open before 09:00 hrs, anyway...

Edited: 30 December 2013, 22:25
Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
10,702 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travelling time on metro from Termini to Vatican?

You can also get an express bus from the Termini which will drop you much closer to the Vatican than the metro.

www.rometoolkit.com/transport/rome_bus.htm

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
33,127 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travelling time on metro from Termini to Vatican?

Yes, but a bus can get caught in heavy traffic while the metro can't. I would give yourself at least a half hour to get there at that time of the morning.

Donna

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,719 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travelling time on metro from Termini to Vatican?

Given the time of travel, I assume you're going to St. Peter's Basilica rather than the Vatican Museums. The Basilica is a good ten-minute walk from the nearest metro stop (Ottaviano-San Pietro). There is no ticket office for entry to the Basilica, but there is a security line, that starts getting lengthy by 9 AM, so the earlier the better.

If you have a very limited time, I would strongly urge you NOT to go to the Vatican Museums, which are a real time and energy sink.

5. Re: Travelling time on metro from Termini to Vatican?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 January 2015, 05:19