We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Buying tickets in advance: Leonardo Express, Colosseum

London, United...
Level Contributor
102 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Buying tickets in advance: Leonardo Express, Colosseum

Hi all, I travelled to Rome earlier this year and am currently advising my parents on their trip next year. Just a quick question about buying online tickets in advance for Leonardo Express and Colosseum/Forum.

For Leonardo Express, do you have to specify the exact train you want to take, this could be problematic if your flight is delayed or you have to wait longer than expected for luggage.

For Colosseum I assume this is still the correct website: www.coopculture.it/en/colosseo-e-shop.cfm

As far as I can see you can not specify dates, is this correct? If so, is it just to turn up on the day of your visit with a ticket and it will be valid for 2 days from then?

Many Thanks

Likely To Sell Out
Skip the Line: St Peter’s and Sistine...
22,951 reviews
from US$76.00*
Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: Sistine Chapel Viewing...
528 reviews
from US$411.30*
Likely To Sell Out
Ancient Rome and Colosseum Tour...
2,814 reviews
from US$123.40*
Special Offer
Skip the Line: Ancient Rome and...
11,602 reviews
from US$57.20*
US$63.60
pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
35,062 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Buying tickets in advance: Leonardo Express, Colosseum

For the colosseum, yes, the tickets are open ended. Just show up on the day you wish to visit. They are still valid for two days but you only get to visit each site one time over those two days. The forum and palatine hill count as a single site.

For the express, the tickets are not for a specific train which is why they will need to be validated *before* getting on the train. If they are not validated and you are caught you will pay a fine on the spot. I believe you can only buy these tickets a week in advance. I suggest you just buy them when you get to Italy and not worry about a pre-purchase. There is no benefit to buying them early.

Donna

GAC
Los Angeles, CA
Destination Expert
for Sardinia
Level Contributor
8,828 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Buying tickets in advance: Leonardo Express, Colosseum

It is extraordinarily IMPRUDENT to purchase ELECTRONIC tickets for the LdaV airport train from FCO to Termini Station IN ADVANCE: they are valid for only 90 MINUTES beyond the departure time of the airport train selected/noted on the receipt. If your flight arrives late, you risk FORFEITING 14 Euros per ticket.

Just buy the ticket (in traditional PAPER format) once you arrive at FCO. You can use the electronic ticket machines or stand in line at the manned ticket counters. If you go to a travel agency, you will pay a small supplement.

Happy travels!

EXCERPT from Trenitalia Official Tariff Guide for Regional Trains (Part III, Article 22)

La validità del biglietto é di 90 minuti, decorrenti dalla convalida, o dall’ora indicata sul biglietto

nel caso di emissioni a terra da parte del personale incaricato. In caso di acquisto on line, la validità

è di 90 minuti dall’ora di partenza del treno indicato sul biglietto.

Edited: 31 December 2013, 16:56
3. Re: Buying tickets in advance: Leonardo Express, Colosseum

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 January 2015, 05:18