We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help with TA Neighborhood filter...

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
California
Level Contributor
1,156 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Help with TA Neighborhood filter...

Hello,

Could someone please let me know what neighborhood Piazza Navona and Campo de'Fiori are in as regards to the filter under the Hotel section of this website?

Also I believe the Pantheon is near these areas?

Thank you so much!

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
10,447 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help with TA Neighborhood filter...

This link will give you a description of the neighborhoods and where they are.

reidsitaly.com/destinations/…rome_layout.html

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
10,447 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help with TA Neighborhood filter...

I should have also said on the right hand side you can click on a map view of Rome and search the area you want for hotels.

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
31,867 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help with TA Neighborhood filter...

You are not the only one with this problem, see tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187791-i22-k68087…

If you search on TA's maps, e.g. tripadvisor.com/LocalMaps-g187791-d197714-Pa… - you can see from that that the area you want is Sant'Eustachio/Ponte/Parione (according to labels that some say are archaic), but none of these are given as neighbourhoods you can select under that tab on TA - and neither is "Upper Tiber Bend" in the Reids map! The main problem is not so much what TA has decided to call the neighbourhoods (which come from the "List of historic Rioni in Rome's centre" on here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Administrative_subdivision_of_Rome) as that these don't correspond to their own hotel "neighbourhoods" list, where you will not find e.g. Sant' Eustachio!

As far as I can tell, it also doesn't indicate the TA neighbourhood name when you go to a specific hotel (e.g. Hotel Pantheon), so you can't work backward from that! And in any case the "neighbourhood" list is very frustrating to use as clearing one checked box means the list goes back to "all" before you can select another...!

The answer is, don't use TA to find a hotel, even if you check out the hotels you find elsewhere against reviews on TA. One way to search (apart from the Reids map already given) is to look on google maps for hotels in the area you want: https://maps.google.be/maps?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&q=Spanish+Steps&fb=1&gl=be&hq=rome+spanish+steps+map&cid=9205591385677129999&ei=n_3DUqX3D8fH0QXtnYDwDQ&ved=0CLgBEPwSMBA

Booking.com is also better than TA in this respect as it allows you to search near specific monuments or squares, e.g. Piazza Navona (as do TA maps, although you then need to uncheck restaurants etc. to see anything..).

Edited: 01 January 2014, 13:12
Ocean City, MD
Level Contributor
10,078 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help with TA Neighborhood filter...

These 2 sites allow you to book by location (designated much better than TA), price and amenities. The star system is different in Italy, i.e. a star for having an elevator or 24 hour reception. I"ve stayed at some very nice accommodations that were 2 star.

www.booking.com and www.venere.com

Read the reviews, unlike TA the reviews can only be made by people that have actually stayed there. I don't use TA for hotels either, I prefer these 2 sites, never had a problem.

Edited: 01 January 2014, 13:21
Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
10,447 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help with TA Neighborhood filter...

I find the TA hotel site absolutely frustrating ... I only use it to cross reference costs and reviews. I find Venere great for Europe and then I can check a few others for comparison costs.

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,659 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help with TA Neighborhood filter...

Booking.com also has a "neighborhood" called "Central Rome" or something like that. If you select this neighborhood, you will be shown hotels in some of the most central of the other neighborhoods. I find this very useful, because otherwise you have to do a research for neighborhoods one at a time.

Once you've chosen a neighborhood, both booking.com and venere.com allow you to sort the list by price or by guest rating; the guest rating is a more reliable filter than the number of stars. Before making a final selection, read the reviews of all the hotels on your short list.

California
Level Contributor
1,156 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Help with TA Neighborhood filter...

Oh my gosh! Thank you, I thought I was going crazy!

I did find Hotels.com and they had some better filters as well.

So do you guys use Booking.com and Venere.com to actually book your hotel then?

I usually end up booking directly with the hotel, even using the old fashioned phone sometimes.

I came across a few "warnings" about using Venere, but I also know you can find a warning about anything on the net.

I've been reading about Piazza Navona and Campo de'Fiori and hear it's a very good place to stay especially for first timers. We are definately that, and will be visiting as many typical touristy sites as we can, the Vatican, Pantheon, Colloseaum etc. but knowing we will not even be scratching the surface, we do want some "free time" to just roam, stop at a cafe and people watch etc.

Just wondering if those areas are terribly noisy? Stayed at a nice downtown hotel in a small college town once, highly recommended for "being where the action is" and heard laughing and shouting almost all night long!

But I have no idea what to expect. Completely clueless. :P

BTW, we're looking for a 4 night stay for 3, me, hubby and college age son, and our budget can swing anywhere from 150 (or less), to 225 (but no more) EUR.

A clean room where it's quiet after midnight, a comfortable bed, a bath/shower combo with hot water (I need my soak in the tub, while the guys need their showers) are the priorities. Coffee and WiFi would be nice if available. Not too worried about breakfast, I'm sure we can find something to nosh on out on the street. :)

Thank you so much for your help!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
39,551 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Help with TA Neighborhood filter...

I don't book with booking engines; I prefer to book directly with where I am staying. Everyone has their own preferences.

Both those areas are very nice but it will depend on where you are in each of those neighborhoods as to whether you might have some night time noise - if right on the piazzas, you may well have more noise, if you have a hotel with crummy windows, you can end up with noise even on the side streets due to them motorbikes, etc. I stay right next to Campo de'Fiori which most people find very noisy but the hotel I stay in has very good double glazed windows and when I close them, I can't hear a thing. So, a careful read of reviews is important. I'd recommend my hotel but there are not bathtubs and, if going in mid to high season, it would likely be out of your budget.

You could try Hotel Ponte Sisto and ask about a room away from the street - it is near Campo de'fiori, right near the Tiber River so a great few minute walk across Ponte Sisto to lovely Trastevere.

When are you going? That will impact your rates significantly.

Are you aware that breakfast in Italy is usually a cornetto and a coffee (espresso, etc)? If in a hotel or B&B that offers it, it will usually involved coffees of different types, some meats, cheeses, yogurts, breads, some sweets, fruit, juice - some more so, some much less. Some even provide some eggs and sausage or similar but it always looks so awful wherever I see it that I have never tried it.

It is highly unlikely you will have a coffee maker in your room - they don't have them for the most part in rooms. I find wifi wherever I stay because I need to work when I am there and I have not had trouble finding a place with it for quite a few years now - so, on the score you should do alright.

I should say, I'm not sure Hotel Ponte Sisto has bathtubs either - I haven't really seen many throughout Italy.

Edited: 01 January 2014, 19:24
Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,659 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Help with TA Neighborhood filter...

I usually book with the booking site, but I always check the hotel's own web site to see if there's a better deal there. I often contact the hotel directly after booking it on a web site, to get clarifications or make special requests. A few times I've contacted a hotel because the price on the booking site seemed too good to be true and I just wanted to make sure I really had a room reserved.

I've used both booking.com and venere.com . On recent trips, I've used booking.com more than venere, but I consider both reliable. The last time I checked, hotels.com didn't have as many hotels, nor as useful an interface. Another site I've used is laterooms.com, whose web site is really annoying, but there are some good bargains that I haven't found elsewhere.

I've heard that when you get a real bargain on a hotel booking site, you may be given an inferior room, but I've never had this impression when I get to a hotel.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
39,551 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Help with TA Neighborhood filter...

Just to be sure I was clear with my comment - I am not in any way suggesting there is anything negative about using booking engines; I just personally prefer to not do so -

Guidebooks - good ones anyway - usually provide nice detailed sections about the different neighborhoods in a city; my Rome guidebooks have great info on the different parts of Rome so that may also be a good source for you to read.