We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Accomodation Availability

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Albury
Level Contributor
25 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Accomodation Availability

I am planning a first trip to Italy for 1 month either May-June or Sept-Oct. Looking at EU80-150 per night.

When I check hotel availability on either of the times, the hotels generally come back with anywhere from 1 to 5 rooms available.

Is this like a scam so you book straight away or is there really only those spaces left?

thanks in anticipation.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
83,049 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Accomodation Availability

Where are you checking availability? Direct with the hotels or via some booking web site?

Albury
Level Contributor
25 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Accomodation Availability

generally through a booking site. what is the best way to book?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
83,049 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Accomodation Availability

If you are looking at a booking site, it is probably just an attempt to scare you into booking now, although is is possible that only a limited number of rooms have been released to that site.

I always book direct with the hotel. That way I know that the booking has been received, and I don't have to deal through a third party if some problem should arise. The exception is if the hotel's own web site refers me to a site that handles its bookings.

There are some very disreputable booking sites out there.

Albury
Level Contributor
25 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Accomodation Availability

thankyou I will check directly with the hotels although I have never had a problem with Booking.com previously

NE Victoria...
Level Contributor
2,672 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Accomodation Availability

Often you'll get the best rate booking directly with a hotel - but not always. I often use booking sites like booking.com or venere.com if they offer a better price than one I'll get from the hotel - but then again, I'll often contact the hotel directly, particularly if I have a special request (balcony, view etc). There's no hard and fast rule, it's just how I feel at the time. To date, I've never had a problem with booking.com but, as sydneynick says, there are some disreputable booking sites out there so it pays to be a bit choosy.

I agree that the "5 rooms left" stuff does smack of the hard sell technique - you can't help but feel a bit pressured, in spite of yourself - much like the "one other person is looking at this hotel" line. I've learnt to ignore these things until I've done some homework on the hotel and its prices and always look at the hotel's official website before I book via a third party - it's interesting to compare what's available at what price.

Albury
Level Contributor
25 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Accomodation Availability

Thanks for all the info. I generally check out the prices from hotel and the booking companies. When booking I guess the safest option is to book the fully refundable option which costs roughly $20-30 extra a night and not the pay up front just in case plans change.

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,410 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Accomodation Availability

A lot of hotels in Rome are very small, sometimes with less than ten rooms. If you ask for a single room, it's quite possible that the hotel has only one single room.

I use booking.com quite a lot for reservations in Rome, but I usually also check the hotels own web site to see if I can get a better offer there. Often the price on booking.com is the best available. Venere.com is also quite reliable.

Albury
Level Contributor
25 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Accomodation Availability

thankyou

9. Re: Accomodation Availability

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 January 2015, 06:19