We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Quieter areas outside the center?

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
California
Level Contributor
1,139 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Quieter areas outside the center?

Bongiorno :)

Okay, just when I think I find an area to focus on, i read something about lots of noise, crowds, and moter scooters. Even in Campo de' Fiori. :P

Could anyone direct me to a neighborhood outside the center (I know it's supposed to be THE place to stay for first timers, but I needs my sleep! LOL!)

I'm curious about closer to the Vatican, Janiculum, maybe a little north of the Pantheon or Spanish Steps? We'd be fine with catching a subway or bus to get to our main places of interest, (Colosseum, Pantheon, Vatican, Santa Maria Vittoria) other than that, we just want to wander around and take in the experience.

Maybe a quiet neighborhood within walking distance of a street that have a few coffee shops or cafes?

I know Rome is bustling, just getting nervous because I've had bad experiences staying in downtown areas with bar noise, people talking outside our windows etc. etc.

Sorry to sound so fussy! :)

Thank you so much in advance!

Helsinki, Finland
Level Contributor
32 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Quieter areas outside the center?

Prati district, close to Vatican, near metro, less tourists, many restaurants and cafes for locals.

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
31,302 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Quieter areas outside the center?

I stayed near the Vatican this past summer. It's a great area.

Donna

Viera, Florida
Level Contributor
901 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Quieter areas outside the center?

I always stay right off of Piazza Navona in an apartment that is on a pretty busy street (no cars) but can not hear the noise outside because the apartment is in the back. It's literally in the middle of everything! It's called the Sally Apartment by Friendly Rentals. I can't say enough about this location.

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,140 posts
221 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Quieter areas outside the center?

We stayed at the Boscolo Exedra. I didn't hear any noise. Of course the "window" was above eye level and didn't look out onto anything so any noise would have to have been internal.

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
20,155 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Quieter areas outside the center?

The Celio neighborhood in back of the Colosseum is very quiet at night.

it is centered around the green fire on this google map

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms…

I stayed in the apt which is the green house on the map in 2006 and in 2012.

pittsburgh
Level Contributor
186 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Quieter areas outside the center?

During an October visit we stayed in a nice B & B (A Touch of Rome) in Prati, just a few steps from the Vatican. Quality restaurants, coffee shops, easy access to Metro. Highly recommended it.

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
10,069 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Quieter areas outside the center?

Rome is very quiet at night .. actually not that noisy in the daytime either. Those movies with traffic jams and honking horns and screaming Italians are total fiction.

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
20,155 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Quieter areas outside the center?

"Rome is very quiet at night .. actually not that noisy in the daytime either. Those movies with traffic jams and honking horns and screaming Italians are total fiction"

I love Rome, but it is noisy. I like Trastevere a lot and that was noisy till the wee hours of the morning, Nobody was screaming, but there was plenty of talking and spirited discussion often.

Edited: 04 January 2014, 05:15
Goulburn, Australia
Level Contributor
116 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Quieter areas outside the center?

I would agree that Prati is a great area to stay. Plenty of cafes and shops, near the Vatican, easy to walk into central Rome and cheaper than staying in the centre also. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay there.

California
Level Contributor
1,139 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Quieter areas outside the center?

Boscolo Exedra, holy mother of hotels! That looks huge!

Thank you everyone for many good and varied suggestions, I'm doing my homework! :)

One thing I did notice about many hotels, apartments and B&Bs... seems hard to find a bath, mostly finding lodging with showers. My hubby and I love a good soak after a long day of walking.

When I told him I was having a hard time finding a place with a bathtub, he said, "how ironic... no Roman baths." :)

I suppose I'd find them mostly in the real high end places with whirlpools and such, but probably out of our price range. :P